Drum Recording...

MikeyKim

Hello, I know some people might see this as lazy but it's honestly because I have very little knowledge on the matter. Well, I suppose I could always learn more, but I figured why not ask first, and if I get no help, then research (I have done a little personal research, but not confident in determining prices/value yet).

ANYWAYS, I'm interested in getting started with recording drums along with other instruments. However, I'm not sure where to start with buying and stuff. So, I was wondering if someone would want to just do a quick scan on my local craigslist http://detroit.craigslist.org/ and let me know if there's a good deal to snag up. If not, maybe let me know on where to buy some used, solid mics, or even what solid ones would be. I assume I would also need another interface, as I only have a Tascam US-100 USB 2.0 Audio Interface right now. And just using software like Logic or the like would be ok for EQing and adjusting sounds right? Any help is appreciated. Basically, any information for this newb would be awesome! Thanks.

P.S. I'm trying to go as cheap as possible without completely throwing away quality.

I can't help you much, but I'll tell you what my plans are. I've got a top notch kit, and cymbals, but I've never acquired any recording, or sound reinforcement gear. I recently bought a used Zoom Q3 HD recorder. New ones are $300. For me it records the drums pretty good. Next I'm planning on getting a used mixer, or drum mics. Whichever I find first, that I have the money for. I'm not quite sure what a interface is. but that might be in there too. I've read that a lot of people use them for recording. I'll be looking on Craig's List. When I see something, I just type in the name of it in the search bar on this forum, and read what people have said about it. You can do the same with anything that you want to know about, on this forum. Good luck.

Yeah, I've been researching a lot, but I'm not confident enough yet to start gauging prices and stuff, so I was just wondering if someone knowledgeable would help me out real quick. Thanks though!

Not sure what you mean by cheap but you can get a really nice sound with three mics using the Glyn Johns method. Maybe an sm57 for bass and couple of 58's for overheads. If your interface does not have enough inputs you can probably find a used mackie or behringer mixer for cheap. You could put something like this together for $200 to $300 hundred. If you have an interface with multiple inputs and built in preamps you do not need a mixer which may be a better way to go.

The zoom sounds great when taking "live" videos of you or your band and is really easy to use but not what you would want if you are trying to lay a basic drum track into DAW software.

I'm in the same position here, I plan to purchase a Tascam us-1800 and start off with a bassdrum mic and one overhead to get going and learning the process, then add more mics when I feel like spending more money...

If you want to go the Pro Tools route, I was checking the Detroit craigslist and they have a few Digidesign 003 and 002r for sale in the $300-600 range. They come with 4 mic/line inputs and an additional 4 line inputs, I believe. Don't quote me on specs, I'm going by memory here. You should be able to bargain with the seller and get it a little cheaper. Try using eBay as a gauge for price.

If you don't need that many inputs, some guy is selling an Mbox 2 Pro (2 mic/line inputs, 2 line inputs) for $100.

You'll need to buy mics and possibly mic pres on top of that, depending on how many channels you want to record at the same time.

Have you checked out www.gearslutz.com? Lots of good recording info on there.

Best of luck!

Edit: Oh, I see you already have an interface...In that case, get some SM 57s and/or 58s and call it a day! They go for about $100 new and there are a few on craigslist for about $70. They can serve double duty as both live and recording mics.

Last edited:
I'm in the same position here, I plan to purchase a Tascam us-1800 and start off with a bassdrum mic and one overhead to get going and learning the process, then add more mics when I feel like spending more money...

If you have a decent computer, get the TASCAM US-1800 (or 1641 which is the older model), buy a kit of microphones (the CAD set with 7-mics is a great way to start), and don't forget cables and stands. You're looking at around $700-900 start up cost for even the cheapest method into a DAW...heck, I didn't include the cost of the DAW itself. TASCAMs come with CUBASE which is fine to start with. ProTools is going to cost you. Don't forget you'll need a USB key with ProTools as well.

I stick with Sonor Producer Edition 7 (can be found ~$100-150). I can export and anyone can import into ProTools if they so desire.

I was in your shoes 8 months ago. Here is what I did and I love the sound I have.

Get a good interface. Good preamps = good quality
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
$500 (can be found for much less on ebay)
Audix Fp7 A mic pack that gets you all you need for a 5 peice kit.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FP7A
DAW - I use reaper which is pretty much free.
Monitors- You'll need something to listen to your mixes through accurately. I recommend getting some studio monitors. Look on ebay and you'll find great deals. Stay away from the brand KRK their cheap stuff isn't that great. Yamaha makes a model called the HS80m which is great at $500 a pair. you can find them for a lot less on ebay.

I use all this gear in this video except the monitors I mentioned. You don't have to buy all at once. I have been purchasing my gear over the last year. But always go for quality over quantity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgE5-EHHzeU

If you have a decent computer, get the TASCAM US-1800 (or 1641 which is the older model), buy a kit of microphones (the CAD set with 7-mics is a great way to start), and don't forget cables and stands.

Thanks for the answer. I have a pretty decent computer,

Asus p5q motherboard
4gb pc6400
Intel E7400 2,8ghz clocked to 3,7ghz
Amd radeon 4870 1gb (not relevant I assume, unless the DAW has some really flashy graphic effects ;)

Should be enough for recording 16 channels?

Not going to buy a microphone set though, I'm sure I'll just end up keeping one or two from the set and wanting to sell the others and buy better mics, thus losing money in the long run.

Asus p5q motherboard
4gb pc6400
Amd radeon 4870 1gb (not relevant I assume, unless the DAW has some really flashy graphic effects ;)

Not going to buy a microphone set though, I'm sure I'll just end up keeping one or two from the set and wanting to sell the others and buy better mics, thus losing money in the long run.

If you only get a mic or two at a time, make sure you get quality mics. Get a basic 4 piece mic set. 2 over heads, snare, bass.
good bass drum mics- Audix D6, AKG D112, Shure Beta 52a
Snare - Shure Sm57 or Audix i5
Overheads- These are your most important purchase. They pick up the sound of the entire kit, the Rode NT2a are a great affordable large diaphragm condenser. But there are tons to choose from.
These 4 mics will be the core of your set up. You'll regret going cheap on these in the future. Hope this helps!

Asus p5q motherboard
4gb pc6400

I started my research in December and in April decided to go with a USB based interface and a decent set of mics.

1. Focusrite 18i20 (plug and play great preamps)
2. Sure SM57s Snare (upper and lower) 52a (bass drum)
3. Sennheiser e-604 (toms)
4. MXL 840s (overheads)
5. KRK Rokit5 monitors
6. Presonus Studio One 2 (software)
7. Beyerdynamics DT770M (Headphones)

I think the above reflects a good start price wise without worrying about replacing anything soon and there is room to grow. Its going to be a long time before I out grow this equipment because there is a lot to learn and I've just barely scratched the surface.

An unexpected benefit is the ability to buy drumless tracks, loop certain areas of a song and practice those hard to implement fills over and over again without worrying about the other band members getting bored. The following video was one of my first using the above mentioned equipment. Good luck with your purchase.

Knocking on Heavens Door

Back