Most Under-rated Drummers

I think Doug Clifford from Creedence Clearwater Revival is another Under-rated Drummer I think hes a pretty good drummer has some good fills and songs

Absolutely, the groove master, James Gadson is under rated.
We can listen to his groove from Motown such as Jackson5 to Donald Fagen's
Night Fly album.
I think he shoud be more famous.

Dannar said:
Matt Abts from Gov't Mule is the most under-rated drummer I have ever seen. The man is incredible. His grooves, his technique, everything about his drumming is perfect. The only problem is, I haven't seen one other person mention him on this board!! Gov't Mule is a fairly unheard of band, its sort of a more focused and heavier version of the Allman Brothers. Very similar to Cream, Zeppelin, Mountain, and other great rock bands of the 60's, and 70's. I can highly recomend them to anyone who enjoys good ol rock bands. CHECK'EM OUT!!!!!!!!!

You hit the nail right on the head. Matt Abts is KILLER. He can jump from one style to another with amazing ease, and he's so relaxed when he's playing. Gov't Mule is one of the great rock bands of the past 10 years and they get very little press. Awesome stuff.

I think there are three underrated drummers I would like to call to attention.

John Densmore of the Doors. A very solid and innovative drummer, whose stylistic interpretations of the blues and jazz combined to create a unique approach to what was some pretty avant-garde music at the time.

Michael Giles of King Crimson. The original King Crimson drummer, an exceptionally talented and again innovative jazz drummer crossing over to rock. His work on '21st Century Schizoid Man' to me is a piece of genius. And bloody hard too...

Andy Ward of Camel. One of the forefront progressive rock drummers of the 1970's; but unfortunately has since faded into obscurity after leaving Camel after suffering from bipolar disorder. Britain's Neil Peart (IMO). Listen to any work on Camel's first four albums and I think you will understand. His phrasing is exquisite and he plays with such finesse yet power at the same time. Superb snare, ride and hi-hat work especially. Top bloke.

Tony Thompson of Chic/Power Station. He playe a very Metallic Funk!

I can think of two guys:

Eric Carr (RIP) of KISS who in my opinion was the best drummer that they ever worked with. He also played guitar, bass, keys and sang and you can hear a unique musicality in his playing. When watching old concert footage from the 80's he put such a different light on the classic songs and made them a lot heavier.

Also, not a well known cat but Ruben "Cougar" Estrada from the Estrade Brothers Latin Jazz band. They are local in Southern California and this guy is awesome. His handling and application of Latin rhythms to the kit along with his soloing ability are incredible. Also, he has a great sound

Oh there a toooons out there...but Will Champion, Patrick Wilson, Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots), who ever played in the Pearl Jam Ten album...yeah i dont even know his name-shows how underated he is, but thats got to be one of my favorite albums drum-wise, and whoever played with SoundGarden; just to name a few.

finnhiggins said:
Unless they've changed since Oasis annoyed me so much I started completely ignoring them, it used to be Alan White. No, not that Alan White. The other Alan White. The one who plays for Oasis...

Zak Starkey played and toured a bit with The Who, - prior to playing with Oasis.

There's a DVD "The Who Live at The Albert Hall with Special Guests" (2001) ... His performance throughout the set is absolutely fantastic. Right up there with the legendary Keith Moon ....

The set itself is brilliant, guests include Paul Weller, Kelly Jones, Eddie Vedder, Brian Adams, Nigel Kennedy, .... and Noel Gallagher .... I guess that may have been where he met Zak .... ?

Highly recommend the DVD ... not so sure about the Oasis album though ...

Zak also played the fantastic gig The Who did at the Isle of Wight Festival last year

Zak is brilliant and certainly deserves to be listed on this site ! -

Thunder Of Drums.................... The drummers from SoundGarden were Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron and your right they are both very under-rated drummers.

i definitely agree that The unknown drummer of Pearl Jam album Ten is really underrated .......... can someone please give me some details about this person ??

geek_boy_in said:
i definitely agree that The unknown drummer of Pearl Jam album Ten is really underrated .......... can someone please give me some details about this person ??

That drummer is Jack Irons. He used to play with Red Hot Chilli Peppers,too, I think. I like his playing on that album myself. My favorite under-rated drummer is probably Barrett Martin, of the Screaming Trees. I like his drumming.

Jack Irons is just awesome. He has a few solo albums out and they are supposed to be very good. A brilliant all round musician and excellent drummer.

one of the most under rated drummers, id say, would have to be travis barker...

just kidding (ducks fire from potato launchers filled with drumsticks)

Jeff Pocaro

amazing studio work. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.

Mmmm.

aahznightsky said:
Jeff Pocaro

Mmmm.

I agree that he was incredible....but as long as I've been playing, I've heard of Jeff Porcaro as a venerable legend ranked amongst the best of all drummers. So...I'm not sure if I was just listening to the right people, or he actually got quite a decent amount of recognition.

Either way...He's one of the greats and deserved to be mentioned any time anyone speaks of great drummers past and present.

the underrated drummers for me is brad wilk from ratm and audioslave,jose pasillas from incubus,dominic howard from the muse, daniel adair from three doors down now playin with nickelback.

Nick Mason! Get Live at Pompeii and see what I mean... and if you can't appreciate his playing, there is little help left for you.

So very melodic

Last edited:
aahznightsky said:
Jeff Pocaro

Mmmm.

Funny, I would have said it would be hard for Jeff to get any more recognition. The man is an absolute legend, and basically every single drummer I've ever spoken to knows that. And don't forget the massive exposure he got through TOTO; they're still huge in France...lol. I think the reason you don't see much discussion about him on this site is that no one would have anything to argue about! He always grooved, he always played with taste, he always played for the song...you just couldn't fault the guy. The only likely discussion we could have about him would be 'What are your favourite Jeff moments?'.

Back