Choosing BD Heads

headshrinker2

Greetings,
I have an old Yamaha Custom Recording kit that I am bringing back to life. I'm cleaning everything up, putting on fresh heads, tuning...ect. I'm pretty excited so far with the sound I am getting.

I picked up Evans EMAD (batter) and EQ3 (rez) for my 22' BD. Within the Evans head line, I see there are also EMAD2 and GMAD options. Not sure if I choose the right head. I haven't put it on yet. Could folks offer me their feedback and suggestions?

I play a variety of styles, but mostly pop/jazz/funk/instrumental stuff. Not a rocker or hard hitter. As I tune up my kit, I am looking for a great versatile sound.

EMAD the right choice? I know there are many good brands. I'm going to stay w/ Evans for now.

Thanks very much.

-- Rob

I have used Emad, Emad II, & Gmad. I liked the single & the double but didn't really like the Gmad. If you are playing rock, metal or any other style of music with lots of bd work the Emad II is the way to go. It has great low end thump, defined attack and is pretty unlikely to break if you use a beater patch. Them Emad single is good also, its warmer, more open & it has a little less attack than the double ply. The Gmad is the middle ground between the two with more definition than a single but less than the double.

Good choice on the reso head too. The EQ3 will dampen overtones but it won't completely kill them like an Emad reso.

theindian,
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I think I'm going to stick w/ the EMAD.

I have used Emad, Emad II, & Gmad. I liked the single & the double but didn't really like the Gmad. If you are playing rock, metal or any other style of music with lots of bd work the Emad II is the way to go. It has great low end thump, defined attack and is pretty unlikely to break if you use a beater patch. Them Emad single is good also, its warmer, more open & it has a little less attack than the double ply. The Gmad is the middle ground between the two with more definition than a single but less than the double.

Good choice on the reso head too. The EQ3 will dampen overtones but it won't completely kill them like an Emad reso.

The thing about the E mad and Aquarian super kick lines is that you pretty much get the sound they say you will get from the description on the box,and you get it in my experience pretty quickly,not alot of tweaking or fuss involved.

Back