TXR5AW sticsk that same as regular 5A?

Dignan

Silver Member
TXR5AW sticks the same as regular 5A?

I recently bought a pair of Promark 5As at Guitar Center. The salesman found them for me and when I got home I realized they say "TXR5AW." Is this some variation on the vanilla 5A? They seem a bit heavy to me but that could be in my head. So is this just what Promark calls their 5As now or is it a different stick?

Last edited:
I don't know about those sticks in particular, but model #s vary from company to company. There are no standard 5As, 7As, etc.

Bermuda

I recently bought a pair of Promark 5As at Guitar Center. The salesman found them for me and when I got home I realized they say "TXR5AW." Is this some variation on the vanilla 5A? They seem a bit heavy to me but that could be in my head. So is this just what Promark calls their 5As now or is it a different stick?

Looks like you picked up the "Natural" versions. "TX" is a reference to Pro-Mark's roots in Texas. "R" denotes "Raw"; I bet yours have a green band and are unlacquered. "5A" is 5A; "W" means wood tip. Other than not havign a lacquer finish, they should be pretty much stock 5A wood tip sticks.

Having said that, 5As can differ greatly between manufacturers in diameters, density of wood used, and tapers. The length and general diameter (between .550" and .560") are the only real set-in-stone factors.

Yep that's them. "The Natural" with the green band. I also got a lacquered version with the black band. After playing both for a few weeks I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like the feel of these Promark 5As. They don't rebound as well as my Vic Firth 5As and generally feel more sluggish/heavy than the Vic Firth 5As.

I've always sort of been partial to Promark so I want to find a pair that I like. Anyone have any recommendations for a Promark stick that would feel a bit lighter and more agile than the TXR5As?

Yep that's them. "The Natural" with the green band. I also got a lacquered version with the black band. After playing both for a few weeks I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like the feel of these Promark 5As. They don't rebound as well as my Vic Firth 5As and generally feel more sluggish/heavy than the Vic Firth 5As.

I've always sort of been partial to Promark so I want to find a pair that I like. Anyone have any recommendations for a Promark stick that would feel a bit lighter and more agile than the TXR5As?

In my experience, that's because the Pro-Marks have a shorter taper than the Vics, and a big reason why I went to Vics and stayed there after 15+ years with Pro-Marks.

Pro-Mark makes about fifteen different sticks at .551" it seems, such as their Rock 747 (16.25" length), the Simon Phillips 707, and so on. If the diameter is working for you, try some of their sticks at different lengths and tapers.

Promark Select Balance Rebound .550 RBH550TW
They aren't raw though, but are basically Promark 5As balanced for more rebound.

They aren't raw though, but are basically Promark 5As balanced for more rebound.

Thanks Bert. I actually was checking them out on the website. Will give these a try next time I'm near GC or Sam Ash.

Excellent recommendation! The longer taper on this model is designed specifically to provide a faster response due to the change in balance. The same concept is available in four other diameters (.535; .565; .580; .595) in both Rebound and Forward-balanced versions.

Excellent recommendation! The longer taper on this model is designed specifically to provide a faster response due to the change in balance. The same concept is available in four other diameters (.535; .565; .580; .595) in both Rebound and Forward-balanced versions.

Thanks Evans guy! I still haven't been able to get my hands on a pair but intend to soon. Too much "real life" in the way of me drumming.

Got a pair of these the other day. After a few test runs with them they appear to be just what I wanted. I'm quicker and smoother on the pad. They feel lighter too while still maintaining the 5a size. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back