Better than the original

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
My Humps was probably one of the dumbest songs I've ever heard. I just figured these songs exist because even the mentally challenged in society want to be entertained too.

But then I heard this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmYfVCH2UA&feature=colike

I like good irony. Enjoy!

Do any of you know a song that is WAY better than the original? Like perhaps All Along the Watchtower....Jimi's version vs. Bob Dylan's. I think even Bob himself would agree that the Jimi version blows his original away. Or how about the Sublime version of Hope vs. the Decendants? Not sure there, but I really like Bud Gaugh's drumming on that song.

I think Deep Purple's version of "Hush" is better than any version before it.

When it comes to a cover being better than the original, the one that always to jumps to my mind is

Orgy - Blue Monday.

Much better than the original New Order version. Although I think my wife disagrees with me.

I also like Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" better than NIN, and Roberta Flack's version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" better than Ewan MacColl's.

Marilyn Manson's covers of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love.

Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World.

Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing My Religion.

i think primus' version of making plans for nigel is better than the original xtc version.

Marilyn Manson's covers of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love.

Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World.

Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing My Religion.

lol - I liked the originals better in every one of these.

Roberta Flack's version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" better than Ewan MacColl's.

For sure. Actually, I enjoy my band's version more than EM's original too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YfdbaL_oA

Agree about Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt too. A similar approach was taken by Gary Jules's cover of Tears for Fears's Mad World for the Donny Darko Soundtrack. I don't think it's better so much as it does what all the best covers do - it captured a feeling within the song that the original didn't.

A great example of this was John Cage's cover of Elvis's Heartbreak Hotel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Bn0Kq7rls - I never realised how dark the lyrics were until hearing this version. Absolutely love it.

I was recently listening to Les Claypool's Frog Brigade playing Pink Floyd's Animals in it's entirety live. I think I actually like it better if only for the sound quality. As a much as I love me some Floyd and for as much as they've pushed the envelope on production values, to me there's often something missing or a certain deadness in their studio sounds that makes me wish for something richer.

Dwight Yokum - "Train In Vain".

through his version i understood the lines:

But Did You Stand By Me ? Not At All
But Did You Stand By Me ? No Way.

My Favourite Things was a cutsie song in The Sound of Music until John Coltrane's quartet gave it a makeover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVCH7UVTOY

In rock, Bryan Ferry's cover of Bawb's A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall is a good one.

For sure, that version of My Favourite Things song is WAY better. I even have it as one of my favorites.

I have to agree with you on the Brian Ferry version of that Bawb song. I was surprised to see how many artists have covered it from Leon Russell to Jason Mraz and Edie Brickell.

I was recently listening to Les Claypool's Frog Brigade playing Pink Floyd's Animals in it's entirety live. I think I actually like it better if only for the sound quality. As a much as I love me some Floyd and for as much as they've pushed the envelope on production values, to me there's often something missing or a certain deadness in their studio sounds that makes me wish for something richer.
No kidding, huh? I'm gonna have to check that one out tomorrow. Sounds interesting.

As well as all the other replies. Sounds like some really cool stuff so far.

Mariah's "I'll be there" gives MJ a run for the money.

Back