Mitch Mitchell

Re: R.I.P.: Mitch Mitchell

I have a tear, =,(
R.I.P Mitch Mitchell.

Buddy Miles & Mitch Mitchell both pass away within a year both were great drummers and both will be truly missed.Jimi really knew how too pick good drummers.I wanted too see the Hendrix tribute at the Filmore here in Detroit around halloween time but I was gigging that night now I really regret not seeing it.I'm gonna make sure too do "them changes"(Buddy) & "Spanish Castle Magic"(Mitch) as a tribute this weekend at our gig.

Again RIP Mitch you were one of the great ones.

Bonzolead

Thanks for all the great years Mitch! You are truly an inspiration! Not forgotten - not gone. Namaste.

I was truly sad to hear the news today of the passing of Mitch Mitchell. I think I was in Junior high school when I really started listening to Hendrix. The drums caught my attention right away, I used to spend hours trying to imitate those incredible fills he had. I loved how he brought jazz drumming into rock, his style was the perfect compliment to Jimmy's playing. He will never be forgotten, he will and has influenced a whole other generation of drummers. He was definately one of my early influences. Today I jammed to Spanish Castle Magic, Fire and Crosstown Traffic in honor of Mitch. A big loss to the drumming community. What are your favorite Mitch Mitchell tunes to play along with?

Mitch's spirit will continue drumming among us...Voodoo child!!!

Manic Depression. Man, when I heard that I felt that I'd found the holy grail or something. I set about learning that song, learning and copying everything Mitchell played on it.
I'd never heard a rock song in 3/4 time, definitely not done like that, and to this day it's one of my favorite grooves. At the time it was completely new and today it's still very unique. It's the one song I was hoping Hendrix would play when I saw him, but alas, he didn't.
What a rollicking drum part Mitchell plays on that. Quite unlike anything I'd heard before.
Ding-a-ding-a-digadoo-ding-a-ding-a-digadoo! Pretty innovative stuff for the time, and pure drumming joy.

No doubt he's my favorite drummer of all time. The groove, the attitude, the silly costumes..... You'll always be remembered, Mitch. Rock on in heaven!

I was truly sad to hear the news today of the passing of Mitch Mitchell. I think I was in Junior high school when I really started listening to Hendrix. The drums caught my attention right away, I used to spend hours trying to imitate those incredible fills he had. I loved how he brought jazz drumming into rock, his style was the perfect compliment to Jimmy's playing. He will never be forgotten, he will and has influenced a whole other generation of drummers. He was definately one of my early influences. Today I jammed to Spanish Castle Magic, Fire and Crosstown Traffic in honor of Mitch. A big loss to the drumming community. What are your favorite Mitch Mitchell tunes to play along with?
Fire,Hey Joe,Crosstown Traffic are obvious choices but also Little miss lover,6 was 9,third stone from the sun,castles made of sand,freedom, and of course Voodoo Chile. He never did a bad song really I liked them all.

RIP John (Mitch) Mitchell

Bonzolead

I've been sick for the past couple of days and I completely missed the news of his passing, so it's a new shock for me. :-(

Whenever I'm messing around with brushes I'll put on "Up From the Skies" and try to play along with it. It's still my favorite brush song of all time.

I never read any explanation of why Mitch "gave up" drumming for so long. Does anybody have any information about that? Seems criminal that such a good drummer spent so much time out of the spotlight.

A sad farewell to a true legend of the drum stool, there must be one hell of a jam session going on up there now, the original 'Experience' reunited again.

I've been sick for the past couple of days and I completely missed the news of his passing, so it's a new shock for me. :-(

Whenever I'm messing around with brushes I'll put on "Up From the Skies" and try to play along with it. It's still my favorite brush song of all time.

I never read any explanation of why Mitch "gave up" drumming for so long. Does anybody have any information about that? Seems criminal that such a good drummer spent so much time out of the spotlight.

I am also sad to hear of his passing and I have wondered the same thing.

I wasn't even aware Mitchell he was alive or dead. For someone so influential, I never heard much about him after playing with Hendrix. I don't even see people discussing his post-Hendrix work much. It's unfortunate but why did he seem to fall off the map more or less after Hendrix? Or am I just poorly informed?

Here is someone arguably as creative and masterful as Bonham who seems to have spent the last 40 years in obscurity. What was he doing with the last half of his life?

I was very shocked & saddened when I read about Mitch Mitchell's death. I was a drummer, about 13 years old, when I first heard him and he immediately became MY FAVORITE DRUMMER because of the way he played - his mixing of Jazz & Rock was SO fresh and inspiring to me! The very cool kind of drum rolls and accents, the whole sound blew me away.

I do remember an album he did a few years after Hendrix's death with a female electric guitar player - named April Something.....in NY.

I loved him so much more than the other big drummers of the day - Bonham, Ginger Baker....

We'll miss you dearly, Mitch!

xxxxxxxxxx

Shocked to hear of the death of Mitch.He was a great drummer.The Experience is complete in another world.God bless Mitch Mitchell.R.I.P

Sad news indeed - another of the true greats joins the great gig in the sky ... R.I.P. Mitch

Rest in peace Mitch. Your drumming has and always will amaze me with how tasty every lick is.

Kind of freaky actually... just about two weeks ago in my art class I painted a picture that included mitch and the experience bassist noel redding.

Back