It's depressing

Build one yourself. You'll be able to save money, and get it exactly how you want.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Check out the guys at www.ghostnote.com.

Look at www.vaughncraft.com. I just ordered my Vaughncraft shell on Sunday. Email those guys. They'll give you a good deal. One-Ply steambent shells with re-rings. Just like those good ol' Craviotto shells.

Then go over to www.drumfoundry.com and order your hardware.

I just built myself a tiny little bop kit (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42590) and couldn't be happier. I can't see myself buying another drum that I don't put together myself for quite a while now.

Well, it appears I have my work cut out for me!!!! Thanks all for the great advive!!! Now I'm not depressed, I'm energized!!! Will let you know how I make out, with pics too!!! Ok, gotta go shopping..........

Why are the good snare drums soooooo damn expensive? I'm a married guy with a house, and kids and all the responsibilities that go with it. I am also lucky enough to have fallin in with a great club band that I gig with on weekends, mostly for fun Maybe i'm whining here but why do you have to be a millionaire to afford a decent snare these days. My kit is great but not the greatest however the snare that came with it is just crap. Is there anything out there for less than $300 bucks that isn't crap.?

Go find yourself a Ludwig acrolite on ebay. They are outstanding drums and can be had regularly for $75-100. Sometimes less. I have one from the 60's, one from the 70's and one from probably the mid 90's in the black sparkle finish. They all sound great.

So you guys really like the Acrolite, huh? I've seen them on E-bay but someone told me not to buy one because they were student drums. I'll tell you that the price is right!!! Any particular year? are the older ones better?

And they would be wrong. Yes, they were marketed as student drums but they sound great. As for years, there are subtle differences. My 60's Acro sustains better because it doesn't have a painted finish. My 70's acro is drier and a nice contrast to the 60's model. The early nineies flavor I have is somewhere in the middle. I run coated Ambassadors on the older drums and a coated emperor on the 90's drum.

I have an Acrolite too (late 70s vintage). FWIW - I replaced the wires with 20-strand Puresound Customs, and I swear it sounded like a $500 upgrade to me.

Steve

Build one yourself. You'll be able to save money, and get it exactly how you want.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do as my next project....as soon as I decide what ply snare shell to buy (maple).

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Cheers!

So you guys really like the Acrolite, huh? I've seen them on E-bay but someone told me not to buy one because they were student drums. I'll tell you that the price is right!!! Any particular year? are the older ones better?

Go find yourself a Ludwig acrolite on ebay. They are outstanding drums and can be had regularly for $75-100. Sometimes less. I have one from the 60's, one from the 70's and one from probably the mid 90's in the black sparkle finish. They all sound great.

I have an Acrolite too (late 70s vintage). FWIW - I replaced the wires with 20-strand Puresound Customs, and I swear it sounded like a $500 upgrade to me.

Steve

So here's my 52$ rusted & dirty Acrolite Before & After

Before (as I received it)
Acrolitenearwithrust.jpg

& After (now)

Acrolitesidethrow-off.jpg

Best 52$ investment & in cleaning work too.

Steve

I'll have to look into those snare wires. I have a 1978 Acrolite.

I just saw an acro on E-Bay that someone had powder coated. Didn't bid, but just curious, how did that effect the sound?

I just saw an acro on E-Bay that someone had powder coated. Didn't bid, but just curious, how did that effect the sound?

What you mean ? Dont forget that the 90s Acrolite are black and are call Blacrolite and the finish is called galaxy black.

If it was actually really custom paint then it depend on job and the material used. if it was done by an amateur which he haven't no idea of what he was doing then...

If it was correctly done then the snare would sound little more focused.

I'll have to look into those snare wires. I have a 1978 Acrolite.

Trip,

Well your mileage may vary, but for me my appetite for expanding my snare collection decreased significantly after getting those wires on. That said, when I tried those same wires to replace one set on my Yamaha Weckl Sig maple snare, it didn't do much for me.

BTW - the post you referenced by LDVC is one of the most amazing posts on the Acrolite on the internet.

Steve

Ok gang,need some more help here!!!! I seem to have narrowed my search and need your advice. Here's the choices:

Tama Artwood 6.5x14 New with case.
New 5x14 Ludwig Black beauty for $299.00
Black panther hand hammered Bronze 6.5x14 Clean!!!!
Black panther Deep Forest Walnut 6.5x14 New!!!

All of these are under $300.00!!!!

What you tink, mon?

You have three 6.5 drums listed and one 5 inch. What are your needs or wants?

The black beauty is on E-bay right now as well as all of the others!!!! I am looking for a versitile snare that can handle fusion as well as some country and light rock applications. I was leaning toward the black beauty since it's a super deal and than along came:.....

Pork pie 7x14 maple in a black finish
Pork pie BB 7x14 looks and supposedly sounds like a Luddy. Made in tiwan though. I'm getting so confused!!!!!!!!

Tama Artwood custom Bueatiful finishes and a great price $269.
And i've found it lower plus there's always ebay i found one of these in great condition the was $150.

Holy Crap I made a decision!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought this off E-Bay :
Remo Batter, Evans 300 snare side with Puresound sound blaster wires, nylon lug washers basically new. Here's the best part $280.00 with shipping!!!!!!!

This will go with my Gretsch kit and I think the price was right!!!! This same drum is $400.00+ at Musicians Friend.
Thanks to all who anwered!!!!! I'm no longer depressed LOL!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! The Nitron Glass wrap is stunning looking.

Although I don't have a New Classic snare, I have a Gretsch New Classic 3-pc config. Awesome drums. Last set I'll ever buy (famous last words) ...

Steve

Back