Joey Jordison named best drummer of past 25 years

Good on him.....I guess?!?! It's not like he chose himself, so all he can do is accept the honour.

Personally, I'll continue to hold my own opinions. Joey won't make my top 50....but then again, I'm not handing out awards either. :)

I would hope it's based on the type of music he plays? Otherwise no comment.

I'm not surprised. People equate "Speed" to "skill" so much that this was inevitable.

Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison tops magazine poll Jordison is noted for simultaneously playing two bass drums ...

Jordison beat off competition from Nirvana and Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Phil Collins ...

Second on the poll ... was Mike Portnoy of US prog-metal band Dream Theater and third spot was Gavin Harrison ...

Rush's Neil Peart came fourth in the vote with Foo Fighters' Grohl ... rounding out the top five.

Former Genesis drummer Phil Collins made the top ten, coming in at number nine with around 0.3% of the vote.

Let me guess ... female representation amongst those voting was 0.001% ...

That man is talented.

It must be the Pitch Black cymbals he plays!

Obviously, I'm kidding. I should probably not swipe at him so much. It is an honor, I suppose, to be that popular. I've just never heard anything by Slipknot, and I've never seen this guy play. That band must be getting exposure somewhere, just not anywhere I'm looking.

I saw some pictures, does anyone know what he really looks like without the mask? Is this some kind of KISS band? I've been too busy deciphering the Jojo Mayer DVD and listening to Prohibited Beats.....but congrats to Joey Jordison!

So this18 yr old drummer comes up to me for advice on what kind of kit to get now that he can really play ( he can. )

I give him this whole spiel about buying good cymbals, pedals, and snare, and not to worry too much about shells and he trying to convince me why he needs the Joey Jordison signature 7 piece set up, and signature snare and everything else is secondary.

Must be something to this guy.

I youtubed him for the first time just now.. Needs more salt, I thought.

Last edited:
Fact is - looking at Drummerworld and Page-Statistics - that Joey Jordison and Travis Barker are the top drummers in numbers for years - and yes, he is a very good drummer!

Take July:

Travis Barker: 135698 visits
Joey Jordison 125870
Jojo Mayer 52345
Steve Gadd 43211
Buddy Rich 34653
John Bonham 32365
Neil Peart 28350

Bernhard

Last edited:
Obviously, I'm kidding. I should probably not swipe at him so much. It is an honor, I suppose, to be that popular. I've just never heard anything by Slipknot, and I've never seen this guy play. That band must be getting exposure somewhere, just not anywhere I'm looking.

I saw some pictures, does anyone know what he really looks like without the mask? Is this some kind of KISS band? I've been too busy deciphering the Jojo Mayer DVD and listening to Prohibited Beats.....but congrats to Joey Jordison!

he was on the cover of the last interstate music catalog i got with out his mask (playing a pearl epro kit no less, alass no pitch blacks to be seen), apparently he looks exactly like he does with the mask just less silver and more flesh toned 12 year old prepubecent boy.

I like how he beat out that Gavin guy there, his double bass and single stroke rolls definitely show more skill than Gavin's polythingys and over-whatevering.
But in reality, why do polls like this exist still? Haven't people learned that popularity doesn't make someone the best by now? Or even that there's so many styles and different ways of playing a drum kit there really can't be a best anyways... the possibilities of drums are infinite. This poll would be much less upsetting if it was made for the "most popular drummer of the last 25 years."
Whatever though, it is true this is just a poll and Joey didn't ask for it, and I am really glad to see Gavin to make it even to third... surprised at the lack of Jojo though, every time I see a Jojo video it's like a wake-up call to me practice more consistently.

Oh yes, and I practically died laughing at the caption of the photo... that made my day... er night... or morning or whatever this is now... It was funny.

I sense far too much Jordison hate going on here. I'm no fanboy, but he's a fast, powerful, innovative player. Remember, everyone else playing similar music was influenced by HIM, he's the one that started it. Also, from what I understand, his main instrument is the guitar, and he also stays heavily involved in the production side. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's a killer musician. The reason for the hate is the fact that he's attracted a crazy fan base along the way even though there are better drummers. Don't hate him just because a million 13 year olds feel obligated to say that he's the best in the world all over YouTube comments.

I sense far too much Jordison hate going on here. I'm no fanboy, but he's a fast, powerful, innovative player. Remember, everyone else playing similar music was influenced by HIM, he's the one that started it. Also, from what I understand, his main instrument is the guitar, and he also stays heavily involved in the production side. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's a killer musician. The reason for the hate is the fact that he's attracted a crazy fan base along the way even though there are better drummers. Don't hate him just because a million 13 year olds feel obligated to say that he's the best in the world all over YouTube comments.

I do not hate him, but I don't feel like he deserves a title as "best" because, while he may have a huge amount of influence, there's still others in his genre that can do things that he could not. I didn't know he did guitar or production, but that really shouldn't matter in a poll about drummers. I mean, calling him bad is ridiculous. Just because I don't think someone is great doesn't mean I think he sucks. I sure can't play like him at the moment.

I do not hate him, but I don't feel like he deserves a title as "best" because, while he may have a huge amount of influence, there's still others in his genre that can do things that he could not. I didn't know he did guitar or production, but that really shouldn't matter in a poll about drummers. I mean, calling him bad is ridiculous. Just because I don't think someone is great doesn't mean I think he sucks. I sure can't play like him at the moment.

I gotcha, and I wasn't really addressing anyone in particular. I was really commenting on the generally disparaging attitude drummers in particular seem to direct towards Joey. He's not the best drummer, lets get that clear. Haake, Jojo, Kollias, Buddy, etc. are all more advanced. However, there are a lot of personal attacks against Joey, simply because of the fame. Its throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Back