The evolution of the solo

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I've been struggling with solos now for awhile...I have the ability, but when it comes time to do them, I invariably end up doing like maybe 20 percent of what I am capable of. Its a mental thing for sure but I'm starting to overcome it because I recently realized what I want from my solos, a 2 part conversation against a steady pulse, for reference. Apparently I need some preconceived kind of basic structure to cling to and I think I found it...I've only tried it in 4/4 time, but after years of not realizing what I'm looking for I realized that I like an ostinato on the hi hat, (played with the foot) 8th notes usually, and then develop a sort of 2 part conversation using my hands and kick, a call and response type of thing. I don't care for solos that go "out of time". It's hard to keep that groove going, but to me, that's the goal. The way I look at it is, anybody can solo out of time, I can too, it's relatively easy, because you don't have to maintain anything, groove wise. This is a great leap for me because all I have to do come solo time is to start my hi hat a tappin' and then it's easy for me to craft the 2 parts of the conversation to fit the situation. You don't have to come up with uber inventive acrobatics to craft a listenable "conversation". End it on a flam on the "1" and that's the plan, in and out, nobody gets hurt. So that's my current solution to a vexing issue that's been plaguing me for years. Thanks for your support

I firmly believe that soloing is something you have to practice.

Over the last year I've changed up my practice routine a lot (mainly for upcoming events: big gigs to rehearse for, auditions for university). While I used to spend a lot of time working on solo ideas and creativity, I honestly haven't looked that way in the last 3 months.

I went to solo over a latin-blues tune yesterday at a gig and it came out absolutely terrible. I had no ideas, there was no form, it didn't flow.

If you're interested in soloing, then you have to practice soloing, there's no way that pure magic is just going to happen, you have to work on the creativity.

I too also prefer groovy solos to free-form (but realize that each has their place).

When I practice on the drums, a good portion of that time is spent trying to play the things that I hear in my head. For me it's a matter of being able to execute the rhythms in my head, on the first try, so what I hear in my head is translated to my hands and feet, with no hesitation. It doesn't happen like that all the time for sure, but that's what I strive for. Sometimes I'll hear a rhythm, but on the first attempt, I'll get the sticking wrong and it wont come out how I imagine it. That's what I'm trying to do, play it how I imagine it right out of the gate. It's good practice for me to develop my own personal dialogue with the drumset. I can relate to what you say about not having any ideas, when it comes time to solo though, because you have to invent it on the spot, and that's not easy just by itself, and especially when you're the type of person who doesn't like to be the center of attention.

suggestions:

DOs

Sing your phrases. Hum melodies to your playing. Out loud or to yourself....

Tell a story.

Use mental imagery, colors, moods, whatever turns you on. Emote... thats more important than chops.

Think beginning, middle, end.

Think surprises in the story. Sudden twists, false endings...

Listen to & learn from the encyclopedia of the 'great' solos out there

DONTS

Dont think in rudiments

Dont think in riffs

Dont play a sequence of all your "chops-in-a-row"

Dont play to the drummers in the audience.

Last edited:
Good points by everybody here!

I like also last Aydee's comments about not playing for the drummers in the audience. A good drum solo shouldnt be measured by the chops or speed.

If you watch/listen solos performed by very technical drummers, you will notice that most of time it is not very interesting.

I personally prefer a drum solo inside of a song (= like Two step, Dave Matthews Band) or even something like (Godsmack) which im not a fan, but I find the drum solo very entertaining.

I personally prefer a drum solo inside of a song

Me too, a solo with a guitar / bass riff going on throughout the solo is cool. Also gives you a lot of freedom actually. You can lay low and just groove for a couple of measures if you want to build up some tension or just don't know what to do next.

I actually really don't like drum solos...there is the rare solo that grooves from front to back, but even when I see my heros do their drum solos, it leaves me flat because 99% of guys go out of time to do them. To me, it's like, OK watch me hit these things and dazzle you with how amazing I am. As technically proficient as they are, and as much as I understand how much energy it takes and how hard it is to pull off, I'm sorry but it still leaves me flat. On the other hand, if you can somehow make people want to get up and dance, with just the drumset, now that to me is well worth while. Anything less just doesn't cut it for me. My goal is to do funky entertaining solos that anyone can tap their foot or dance to...

Search Youtube for jojo mayer soloing, there are excerpts from a clinic where he explains approaching putting together a solo by thinking in terms of note values ie. spend time exploring only solo ideas in quarter notes plus rests, then after a time add q note triplets, then 8ths and so on. Spend enough time on one note value and you're forced to explore variation in voicings and density. It's a helpful mentality if you usually end up not being able to think clearly within a solo space.

suggestions:

DOs

Sing your phrases. Hum melodies to your playing. Out loud or to yourself....

Tell a story.

Use mental imagery, colors, moods, whatever turns you on. Emote... thats more important than chops.

Think beginning, middle, end.

Think surprises in the story. Sudden twists, false endings...

Listen to & learn from the encyclopedia of the 'great' solos out there

DONTS

Dont think in rudiments

Dont think in riffs

Dont play a sequence of all your "chops-in-a-row"

Dont play to the drummers in the audience.

Wow, what a great post. This should be required reading for anyone attempting to create/perform a drum solo.

Absolutely brilliant advice.

Hi
I offer the following comments...
1st Kwolf68 is correct....I would offer the following in addition to Kwolf68's....build a simple solo as follows 4 measures per section ...1st section..quarter notes, 2nd section 1/8's, 3rd section triples, last section 16ths...
Once you figured that out...add 4 measures of time in-between each section.
At 1st do this analytically ..Then sing and play with emotion...
Denis

Denisri...I appreciate mentioning me, but it was aydee who deserves kudos. I merely quoted his post.

Here's one more.

Do: Practice solo ideas in bed with a girl.

That one always buys me time.

In all seriousness though, a good solo is tough to pull off. I was put on the spot once, it didn't go well.

Back