quieten the resonant snare drumhead

StickItToTheMan

I am a beginner. i live in an apartment and have bought this acoustic kit. Is there anyway to quieten the resonant snare drumhead. I find if i hold my finger on it it does not vibrate as much. That is what i want for practice

Also is there any other way to make snare/toms drums in general quieter that does not affect playing or response. What are meshes like, do you get the same experience and if not will it affect playing later?

I am a beginner. i live in an apartment and have bought this acoustic kit. Is there anyway to quieten the resonant snare drumhead. I find if i hold my finger on it it does not vibrate as much. That is what i want for practice

Also is there any other way to make snare/toms drums in general quieter that does not affect playing or response. What are meshes like, do you get the same experience and if not will it affect playing later?

They make gel dampeners nowadays. Or, you could go old school and fold a paper towel into a square, and tape it on the head.

Here, take a look on ebay. I searched "drum dampener" Good Luck

Drums and apartments don't work well together.

Even if you go digital you'll have issues with vibration in an apartment.

Products for dampening an acoustic kit:

Aquarian Super-Pads
RTOM Black Holes
Remo SilentStrokes
Zildjian L80s
HQ Sound Off

You will most likely have an issue anyway. I used to have my own house with a good distance to my neighbours, so then I did everything at home. Now I have a separate space for my A kit and I've made a quiet solution for home.

but it is the wires i need to cover. when i do that with my hand the vibration does not happen. Even a towel on top of the snare won't stop the crack vibrate

Turn off your snare wires if you don't want them rattling while the drum is muffled.

To be honest - for practising, I'd take the snares off...

Yes, you lose the snare part of the sound, but it makes it a lot quieter - assuming you're using pads on the batter head.

Experiment with putting rags under the resonant snare drum head. Mesh heads are a lot quieter than regular heads. Try putting rags or t-shirts on the cymbals and drum heads. Try using lighter sticks.

Somewhere on your drum is a lever or dial (or probably both) that allows you to disengage the snare wires. Turn the drum over to the snare side and follow the ends of the snare wires. One end is probably fixed to a simple clamp on the side of the drum, and the other probably connects to some kind of tensioning mechanism that will allow you to adjust and disengage the wires. There are exceptions but this applies to nearly all snare drums out there.

That's not exactly what you're looking for but it is something you should know about.

To quiet things down, there are tons of different mutes and mufflers out there. Here are just some: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Drum-Mutes-Dampening-Devices.gc

Back