One For The Lefties

Pocketman

Any other drummers out there who play their kit in a left handed setup?

When I first started playing, Phil Collins was still playing drums in his videos. I thought, "That looks comfortable to me." So I started setting up my kit left handed like him.

As I got into band classes, I quickly realized that I set up my kit differently. My private teacher (a very traditional guy) tried to get me to switch to a right handed, traditional grip. I tried, but it became more frustrating than it was worth.

I guess the only real problem with being a lefty is it's harder to sit-in or audition at a cattle call unless you want to switch everything around. It's a pain.

On the other hand, drunks who want to sit in on my kit at gigs really can't do it.

Any other lefties out there?

the funny thing is that i am a lefty but i do most of my things righty way, like i have a righty drum kit setup hah, its just because i started out with it and i got used to it you know? it all depends on how u feel comfortable starting out

On the other hand, drunks who want to sit in on my kit at gigs really can't do it.

Thats is always so fun to watch! Especially if they are a drummer and unfamiliar to the set up. Its always funny watching them lead with the right hand and trying to move left around the kit. I'm not a lefty but I do play open handed quite a bit. I'm actually trying to keep myself opened up, but it takes work.

A little side note: Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band started out with a left handed kit set up, then switched it around and started playing open handed. For some reasons, lefties seem to be naturals.

I've always played left handed but since I started teaching and most of my students being right handed, I started playing open handed and working my right foot on the bass. It's comfy and I can now sit behind a left or right hand setup kit and Jam with reckless abandon.

I'm left-handed and I set up lefty too. Every one else I know is a righty, so my kit gets rearranged all the time. What a pain.

So first I tried to make an "ambidexter" kit, but that's really hard to do with just one bass drum. I even bought the double-slave pedal but either way you still have to jump over the other hi-hat on the way to the floor tom.

So I finally started just setting up two kits - one lefty and one righty. It gets pretty crowded in a little space, but there's the benefit of jamming along with other drummers which always been my favorite thing to do. I also started playing the righty kit just to build my weaker side.

It's funny when playing "backward" - if I just stop thinking, I can play that way no problem. As soon as I realize "Hey, I'm actually grooving right-handed" that's when I lose it. ;-) Go figure.

Hi, Im 24 years old, and I play since im 12. Im Left handed.
The first drum professor I had, told me that I had to learn to play as a right handed, I did not see him anymore after that.

I play as a left handed, with a left handed kit, match grip and closed (crossed) hands.

I always take my drums to wherever I play, and set up my kit...if the other guy wants to use my drum...its ok! use it (it never, never, happens jajaj) Maybe the sound guys when playing live get a little crazy, but...patience, its for good.

It does not matters how you set it up , it matters how you make it sound.

Back