My first kit on the way!

Rook

Hey, everbody! I'm new to the forum (just posted my intro in the Introductions forum), but I've been endlessly pouring over old threads here to learn as much as I could to make the right decision on my first kit. This site has be immensely helpful to me and I decided I would go ahead and join so I can continue to learn from all the knowledgeable folks here and maybe someday even be able to contribute a thing or two...

Anyway, I decided to go with an Alesis DM8 USB. I've heard almost nothing but good things about it and was actually able to score a brand new one off eBay for $450! Which is just ridiculously cheap! I had been looking at the Yamaha DTX500k, but the DM8 has so many more features and from the demos I've seen, I like the sounds a bit better too.

I'm a long time musician (guitar, bass, piano) and have played around on other people's kits before, always wanted to really learn to play, but had never been able to get one of my own. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited!

I'll be posting my thoughts on the kit once it arrive; maybe that will assist someone else who comes along and is in the same position. Looking forward to being a part of this forum! :D

Hey, everbody! I'm new to the forum (just posted my intro in the Introductions forum), but I've been endlessly pouring over old threads here to learn as much as I could to make the right decision on my first kit. This site has be immensely helpful to me and I decided I would go ahead and join so I can continue to learn from all the knowledgeable folks here and maybe someday even be able to contribute a thing or two...

Anyway, I decided to go with an Alesis DM8 USB. I've heard almost nothing but good things about it and was actually able to score a brand new one off eBay for $450! Which is just ridiculously cheap! I had been looking at the Yamaha DTX500k, but the DM8 has so many more features and from the demos I've seen, I like the sounds a bit better too.

I'm a long time musician (guitar, bass, piano) and have played around on other people's kits before, always wanted to really learn to play, but had never been able to get one of my own. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited!

I'll be posting my thoughts on the kit once it arrive; maybe that will assist someone else who comes along and is in the same position. Looking forward to being a part of this forum! :D

Welcome to the forum. You sound excited about your first drum purchase. It is a very cool time for you. You will have lots of fun working through all the sounds, and patches. Let us know what you think of it. Sticks.

Welcome to Drummerworld. Electric, eh ... yeah, I've been known to go hybrid, once or twice.​

Attachments

• 6a00e54f08b7be88340120a7572ece970b.jpg
    6a00e54f08b7be88340120a7572ece970b.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 217
Hi Rook, and welcome.

Exciting times, getting your first kit!

e-Kits are a great way to get started, and especially good for practicing at home (i.e. e-kits are a solution to the perennial noise problem - I have one at home for that very reason).

Let us know how you get on.

Back