Snare Drum Bouce/Rebound

Pudgeywudgey

What should I do to get the best bounce out of my snare?

I just got a brand new $200 dollar 10 lug snare, so the heads and snare itself are fine. The batter head is tuned kinda high, and the reso head is a little lower I think. I dont use any muffling/dampening.
Also, my grip and technique are fine.

What im look for is how to tune the drum (batter AND reso heads, and ratio between their tightness?), what weight/size stick to use, or anything else that may matter.

Last edited:
What should I do to get the best bounce out of my snare?

I just got a brand new $200 dollar snare, so the heads and snare itself are fine. I dont use any muffling/dampening.
Also, my grip and technique are fine.

What im look for is how to tune the drum (batter AND reso heads, and ratio between their tightness?), what weight/size stick to use, or anything else that may matter.

well generally speaking, the tighter you tune the batter head the more bounce you get. other things like the type of drum/air holes/type of drumhead are not so important.

but of course it also comes down to technique;how much you allow the stick to bounce back etc.

angling of the drum is also smth to look at. some drummers get the most bounce if the toms are low and parallel to the ground and others like it angled facing them.

a less dense stick with the weight at the back will allow for more bounce.maybe a maple stick? and also, a thinner lighter stick might feel more responsive.

position of hands also will affect. the stick will bounce more if you hold it 3/4 up the stick compared to at the end of it.

hope i helped! i may be wrong in some things but its my experience. and just curious-why do you want your snare to have more bounce?

-why do you want your snare to have more bounce?

Some good points there. A lot has to do with delivery and physics. I like my snares crisp and tight. With that said, if you go too tight you'll choke your drums.

Perhaps 1st tune your heads as tight as you like, without choking them. No matter how good your bounces are, they will sound crappy with a choked head. Also consider your technique and how you hold and deliver the stick to the head.

It it all wrist? Do you also use the other fingers (push-pull, I think?)
What kind of bounce are you going after? (how many bounces?)
Paradidles?

The snare is definitely going to give you the best bounce anyways. The rest is your technique.

Snares are pretty much the bounciest of drums, if it's tuned reasonably high as opposed to sloppy, chances are if you're not getting enough bounce out of it it's technique and nothing to do with the snare.
As others have sadi I tune my snare for sound !!

Back