IronMaiden666

I have been looking into buying a drum rack for a while now and I have looked up almost every company that sells racks so I can get the best bang for my buck. I am having trouble deciding between a Gibraltar, Yamaha Hex (If I can find all the parts) and a very small company named Level. I don't want a Pearl rack because they seem a bit to bulky and clumsy to me.

my drum kit is very large but is still growing. I have two 22" bass drums, a 14" snare and nine toms (8" 10" 12" 12" 13" 13" 14" 16" 16") but I will be buying a 6" tom in the near futur and possibly a 18" floor tom. I am currently building 4 octobans and I will be buying a set of three roto toms soon. I don't have many cymbals surprisingly but that will change soon. I have a 16" crash, 20" ride, 18" Ozone, 18" China and 14" hi hats.

Obviously I will be needing a very large drum rack. I love the look of the "cage" type rack that Level offers but Im not sure if thats possible with gibraltar. Price isn't the isssue. I play alot of heavy metal and I play hard and fast so I need a secure rack (no slipping clamps!) and I have never used memory locks but they seem like a pain in the butt.

if any of you have a Level Rack please share you experiances with it! I would love to hear what some of you more experianced drummers have to offer! and if you have pictures of your own customized racks you would like to share, by all means, go ahead!

This is by far my favourite rack on the website. check out the rest of them http://www.levelrack.com/customer.htm
chris1.jpg

If you are going to go with a round rack, then memory locks are essential. Not only do they help keep things from moving, but they also aid in set up and tear down. I don't know why you would consider them a pain, once they are set you never have to move them again. First time set up is a pain staking process on any rack, just as it is on any drumset with any hardware.

While I don't have any experience with the Levelracks, I do own 2 Voelker racks which is where Tony bases his design from. I have talked to a few guys using Levelracks and they have nothing but praise for the rack. I'm sure Tony knows what he is doing and the Levelracks are stable.

What questions do you have?

Here is a pic of one of mine...

attachment.php

I'm a total "supporter" of non-round tube racks .... I gigged with a Pearl DR-100 rack for 15 years ... and currently ... I have two Yamaha hex racks ... and I plan on playing on those, until I'm dead.​
This, however, is a whole nuther ballgame.​
I'd go with the Level. When you start talking pro-style full arena rock cages ... well ... go with the pro-builders of arena rock cages ... and follow LA's advice, use memory locks ...​

Last edited:
Harry, on a side note, I have an original DR-1 rack for my electronic kit. I am in the process of turning it into a rack/riser in the vein of Voelker/Levelrack for the e-kit. I will post pics when I get it done... someday.

Pretty sure these guys know what they are doing.
moffettdrums.jpg

Bozzio-full-kit.jpg

images

raynewkit.jpg

TerryBozzio2009Iruma021.jpg

There are some ideas for you with DW and Gibraltar racks. You are only limited by your imagination.
Most guys seem to use Gibraltar racks. Pretty much work the same as the DW. I like the DW because it is Stainless. Doesn't show the finger prints like chrome. The list of pros that use them is pretty long.
big-drum-kit.jpg

Esthetically I don't think you can beat the look of a round rack with round drums. I think that is why most guys use them. :)

Last edited:
I'm a total "supperter" of non-round tube racks .... I gigged with a Pearl DR-100 rack for 15 years ... and currently ... I have two Yamaha hex racks ... and I plan on playing on those, until I'm dead.​
This, however, is a whole nuther ballgame.​
I'd go with the Level. When you start talking pro-style full arena rock cages ... well ... go with the pro-builders of arena rock cages ... and follow LA's advice, use memory locks ...​
I think Harry's post covers the salient points, & I agree, if you're touring regularly & playing venues where a drum riser can be accomodated, then a bespoke pro cage rack is a good way to go.

I have a Pearl DRC as my gigging rack. It's a good workmanlike tool that gets the job done perfectly. I agree on the looks though, as standard, they are a bit on the utility side of sexy.

I've just aquired a Hexrack for my project kit. A great piece of kit, & the look is far better than the Pearl IMO. Of course, both of my setups are much smaller than yours.

The picture is the Pearl DRC gigging set with my Spaun maple kit.
Here's a link to a thread featuring my latest Hexrack setup http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846417#post846417 I'm just messing with settings here, & using my Spaun as a setup mule.

Attachments

• CIMG6009-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG6009-Optimized.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 4,430
thanks for your input guys! I'm most likely going to get the Level Rack. The only problem I can see with it is

1. I might not be able to fit all my stuff on it

2. It may now fit in smaller indoor venues

but it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

thanks for your input guys! I'm most likely going to get the Level Rack. The only problem I can see with it is

1. I might not be able to fit all my stuff on it

2. It may now fit in smaller indoor venues

but it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Whether or not all of your stuff depends on how you set it up.

Actually, the Levelrack will fit in more places than you think. Because it has a smaller footprint, your bandmates can push their stuff closer in to yours while your stuff hangs over the top of theirs. Mine has a foot print of 4' x 5'. At its widest point it is 9' wide. I have several different legs for mine from 6" to 18" and have used all of them and combinations of them to fit in many different places.

There is a club in LaCrosse, WI that literally has an alcove for the drums. I was able to fit half of my cage into it with the other half hanging out in mid air. I kept waiting for it to slip and fall out causing me and the cage to roll across the floor, ala Tommy Lee..

If you are worried about not being big enough, start taking measurements. Talk to Tony, he does custom work and I'm sure he could come up with a design to work for you...

And as always, show pics.....

I will post pictures as soon as I can but I am just waiting until I have enough money until I make any plans. I will be geting paid about $700 on june 11th so I will see how far that and a little more from my bank account will take me.

Had to go there. Sorry! But you need this rack:

Hahahaha I knew it!

I opened this thread wondering how long would it take before someone included Monique. :D

(Hell, I don't even know who she is, but she's all over this forum. Very pretty girl. My congrats to you, Bo).

Cheers. :)

Back