looking for new single bass drum pedal

i'm looking to buy a new bass drum pedal. I have only been playing for a little bit. I have been using the double pedal that came with my first kit. I sold the double pedal because i don't used the second pedal and i want to buy a single bass drum pedal? What pedal would you guys recommend. I'm looking for mainly chain drive pedals. What do you guys think about the pearl powershifter and the mapex falcon?

When in doubt, always buy Iron Cobra!! lol. Cobras, Falcon, Eliminators, are all good pedals. Go to your local store and try them out first. Give the Yamahas a try as well

I really dig the Peal Eliminator Power Shifter (in dbl). For a single version it has 3 separate cams and has many adjustments to play with for your preference.

I have had a single Iron Cobra Power Glide for several years and it is a great pedal. Not as much adjustment capabilities as the Power Shifter but for a good single it covers everything I need it to.

I have not played the Mapex Falcon since I have had no need to replace mine yet.

Is there a money limit? What would that be? You could spend $350+ on a Trick Pro-1V pedal, or $59 on a Pearl 900. I love my Tama Iron Cobra Jr. (I got two for $80 used). You must try all kinds to see what you like. It's like buying shoes.

my limit is around $200. I had currently been using an older yamaha pedal. It looked like a chain drive version of the flying dragon. Also will the longer footboard of the falcon affect the devolopment of my bass drum technique?

How are the new yamaha FP9500c pedals. I heard someone say they are not as reliable as the older yamaha pedals

Quite a lot fits into that budget, up to and including DW 5000s, Iron Cobras, Speed Cobras, chain-drive Eliminators, Yamaha FP-9500C, Mapex Falcon, Gibraltar Intruder... and more... and each has its fans and detractors. Each has enough success in its own right, and each is a good pedal that should work for a majority of people. Which will work best for you is probably going to be a matter of personal opinion and tastes.

I strongly believe that you should be able to sit at a kit with a mechanically sound pedal of whatever make, and be able to play at least to a certain level. The pedal should not be contributing to your workload; at minimum a neutral, not helping but not hurting is acceptable. But maybe one pedal has this one adjustment or setting... Or maybe the Eliminator's blue cam just feels PERFECT to you... or you didn't realize how much you like a light footboard...

+1 on getting out there and trying as many as you can to see what you like (and not just at the store... see what your friends are playing, and take a spin on their pedal if they're obliging enough).

i haven't been playing for a long time so i don't really know what i want. So trying them out at the store won't really do anything for me.

Go to midwest percussion and pick up a powerglide Iron Cobra. You can pick one up from them for under 130 shipped to your door. Use the code SAV11NOW

I really dig the Peal Eliminator Power Shifter (in dbl). For a single version it has 3 separate cams and has many adjustments to play with for your preference.

+1. And the price on them seems to have come down recently. MF has them for $125 and GC will price match it (in-store).

Has anyone taken a look at the Taye Metalworks pedal? It looks really intriguing to me but I haven't heard much about it.

For around $180 the DW5000 is one good ol' proven workhorse pedal, isn't it?

(I never played one, but I always felt the need to get one, if only they weren't so damn expensive.). Lol.

Cheers

I second the DW 5000... cant go wrong!

good luck!

+ 1

I have the one with the strap though - no chain. I also switched out the beater as I didn't care for that double sided plastic/felt one that came with it.

Back