Recording a Vibraslap

Muckster

Platinum Member
Over the weekend, i was in the studio working on a project which includes a Vibraslap. I was looking to get a sound that lasts as long as the "Crazy Train" Vibraslap but could not get a length anywhere near that. I'm holding the Vibraslap correctly and tried using delay on my board but could not seem to get it to last as long.

Anyone know how they recorded that sound or know of any other tricks to try?

Thanks!

There are a couple different sizes of vibraslaps. The bigger, the better. But ultimately you will probably have to resort to using some reverb. I use an effected vibraslap on an Alesis pad. It's the only way to get anything like that to cut through an 8 piece band. It's obviously not integral to the song but if I'm gonna use it, I wanna hear it. Studio magic should do the trick, just make sure you get the best possible signal from the mic.

There are a couple different sizes of vibraslaps. The bigger, the better. But ultimately you will probably have to resort to using some reverb. I use an effected vibraslap on an Alesis pad. It's the only way to get anything like that to cut through an 8 piece band. It's obviously not integral to the song but if I'm gonna use it, I wanna hear it. Studio magic should do the trick, just make sure you get the best possible signal from the mic.

I'm using an LP Deluxe. I also have a sampled effect that i could tweak, but this is art and i'm trying to learn something at the same time. I'll tweak some more with reverb.

Thanks for the tip.

I think mine is an LP regular, and I recently used it to great effect in a recording. It is very long, and very present. I used a compressor and reverb, but the length of the sound is mostly a function of tweaking the bolt by the cowbell thing, and hitting it right. Hold it by just the outside of the handle (don't hold both sides), and strike the ball against the top of your thigh with good solid force. I can probably share the sound sample if you'd like, but not right now. I got a remarkable sound with it. I think it sounds as good if not better than any other recording I have heard.

Let the vibraslap "loop" rest on on extended finger, with the ball sort of on the upside, and swing it so the ball hits your other palm. the Vibraslap will then ring as long as it possibly can. Note that each one is a little different, some rattle longer than others. I've got a knock-off (called a Donkey Call, name taken from the original percussion that made that sound - the jawbone of a donkey) that rattles for a full 10 seconds, which is insanely long. It's almost unusable, because it doesn't seem to stop.

Sorry, I don't have a sample of it handy, and it's with all my other percussion in a studio.

Bermuda

Last edited:
I've noticed the Vibraslap I have is temperamental.

I have to play with the tension on the wingnut and get it just right to get a nice long sound, otherwise it will choke up and cut off too quickly.

And of course, once I get the wingnut set just right, it will loosen up on it's own, and I have to start all over again the next time I pick it up.

Try using two microphones, one close at about a foot and a half and the other as a room microphone between six and ten feet away, depending on the room. If you need more sustain, then play with your down stream effects, including a compressor on the close microphone to fatten things up a bit and keep the sound from falling off too soon.

This would be my first choice especially not being able to hear it in relation to the other instruments. Challenges are good, have fun.

Dennis

The vibraslap in Crazy Train has a delay and panning going on. No vibraslap I've ever played goes for that long. If you're using a digital workstation, you can always cut/paste/crossfade for as long as you need. A 4:00 vibraslap would sound absurd, but it's doable...

Back