Stewart Copeland

Stewart Copeland was one of the three main rock influences when I first started playing (Steve Smith and Jeff Porcaro being the other two).

His style is so unique yet pretty subtle. You don't see him drawing attention to himself. You find yourself listening closely to his hats and other intricate parts and thinking...wow...that is so much harder than it sounds.

This is my favorite bit of his that is a bit more showy than his normal stuff. This was the first drum part I ever broke down piece by piece to learn:

View attachment notimethistime.mp3

I find that I use that first break probably 3 or 4 times a night per gig! I almost forgot where I even picked it up, until No Time This Time came on my mp3 player for the first time in forever.

TopCat said:
I can see why. That was hot. Second one is monstrous.

Come to think of it, I use that one way too much too! (That was the first "cool" fill I learned, thanks to Bonham stuff!). I like the last one which is just single strokes on the snare (then around the toms), but with a really interesting grouping (like 7s or something..they fade it out, so its hard to tell).

i like his playing a lot, he's got a very intricate way of playing and i havent got a clue haw he does half the things he does.
i didnt know he was such a prolific composer though!

Excellent drummer, he's so fun to watch. One of those guys where you think,"That sounds easy," than you sit down and its a whole different story. Extremely creative.
On the Synchronicity DVD he tapes his hands, any one know what kind of tape, and in what configuration? I've been trying that lately and haven't found a solution. Thanks

As per http://www.stewartcopeland.net/ he uses Paiste Signature - Dark Crisp Hi-Hat 13". Go to the "drums" tab and hover over the hats.
From the drummerworld pics, seems like he used the RUDE series for cymbals; my guess would be that the hi-hats were too.

By far one of the greatest drummers of all time. Take a listen to "Driven to Tears". No way anyone can re-create his stuff on that song! During the 80's I touted him as the best while my friends loved Neil. Neil was great then but I found him to robotic for my taste. Stewart was a monster an articulate artist at the same time. Not until I heared Neil during the "test for echo" years that I ranked them both equal.

Now if just Stewart would get out of his little hole and put out a drumming DVD and show us all what he is all about, then I could kick him up a notch again!

PS.
He used the 602's and Rude in the old days. A clue to his high hat tricks has to do with the tension on the foot pedal at any particular time during the varied angles, locations, and intensities of hits on the hats. Certainly no disco!

Every little thing he does is magic

I mostly like his earlier work..

The cross-stick work on the song "Reggatta de Blanc" ...."The bed's too big..."

Great great ideas.

glynes said:
My band has been working on 'Message in a Bottle' ... I'm very intimidated by the drumming, but finally taking it beat-by-beat and getting it broken down ... actually quite fun to play. I'll definitely be listening to other Copeland stuff to try.

Be careful with that one.. there are actually two drum tracks running for the entire song. He did this a lot and it's so great. Some times it's real obvious as when the back beat goes right through the fills (Ghost in the Machine) .. but on the early records it's harder to hear, but it's there. It's just the way a guitar player would do it and it's brilliant. Check out the last verse of Message in a Bottle .. you're hearing two hands on the hi hat and ride cymbal and snare. The whole thing just lifts off the ground from the extra "hands" as it were.

Stewart is one of the great ones. I can't wait to see his home movies. I also wish the Police would tour again, but I'm not holding my breath.

For those in the UK, Stewart is currently judging a singing reality TV thing..called 'Just the 2 of us' or something. It's where b-list celebs sing in pairs blahblahblah. I was disappointed he went on the show..its just cheesey crap...they must be paying him a bundle.

**edit

http://www.stewartcopeland.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490

That explains it. Can't say i agree with him though.

According to an interview I read, Stewart Copeland was the only person Buddy Rich ever asked for an autograph. But the funny thing is, that it was for his daughter. It was actually pretty funny when Stewart said it, I wish I could find the link.

Last edited:
i love the way stewart copland pushes the beat forward.. i.e. plays a little bit ahead of the 2 and 4 on the snare... ..his drumming in every little thing she does is magic is brilliant !!

by the way is it just me or is there quite a lot of room for double bass in some police songs (message in a bottle, can't stand losing, every little thing... etc.) ?

i tried putting some 16ths in one day when i was practicing my singles on the double pedal and i noticed how well it can fit in.. mainly because of the intensity of some of andy summers's playing

......or i am just killing the songs ??

helldrummer said:
i love the way stewart copland pushes the beat forward.. i.e. plays a little bit ahead of the 2 and 4 on the snare... ..his drumming in every little thing she does is magic is brilliant !!

by the way is it just me or is there quite a lot of room for double bass in some police songs (message in a bottle, can't stand losing, every little thing... etc.) ?

i tried putting some 16ths in one day when i was practicing my singles on the double pedal and i noticed how well it can fit in.. mainly because of the intensity of some of andy summers's playing

......or i am just killing the songs ??
Unless you're copeland. then yes.

Stewart Copeland was just on HD.net's Steve Wilonsky show. Stewart recently filmed a new documentary about the Police. I think it will be premiered at Sundance.

He said that back then all they did was fight and would never rehearse, just one take to record. He also said that he likes being in bands where he can collaborate with other musicians. Sting was the opposite, he is a born leader and Andy is a cross between the 2 of them. He loves them and are all very supportive of each other.

The dvd is called "Everyone Stares", it looks pretty good. Man do I love that band, I think Stewart Copeland is quite possibly the funnest drummer to watch ever.

helldrummer said:
gee thanks that was a well thought out response.
real funny too.
thanks mate.
Now, now, we've established you can use the full-stops for that 'I'm pissed at you' effect, but you asked a question, and i gave my answer. If you don't like being criticised dont ask questions about yourself.

And on topic, i had no idea Copeland and Andy Summers performed with Incubus, that must've been awesome.

Check it out at stewartcopeland.net under tours or something.

TopCat said:
Now, now, we've established you can use the full-stops for that 'I'm pissed at you' effect, but you asked a question, and i gave my answer. If you don't like being criticised dont ask questions about yourself

you didn't even give any thought to what i said about the double bassing potential in the choruses of those songs i mentioned, you just took the opportunity to try and be funny. good on ya.

are you even interested in experimenting with new ideas? don't you find it fun to try and find new and creative ways to approach these songs, e.g. to ask yourself "how would copland play this if he were to record it a second time?"

btw, does anyone know if he plays on dirty drowning man, track 9 on antipop by primus? i'm pretty sure he helped produce it, so it would make sense that he played on it as well

Back