Garage band (imac) vs CUbase le 4 agony

Good call on the mac. It's very likely that the problem was your firewire chipset in the PC.
Presonus interfaces work best the the TI chipsets.

I used to use Garageband which is very easy to use but I simply could not figure out how to do some very simple things:

1) Invert the phase of one track (for bass drum and snare bottom)
2) Adjust the width of a stereo track

I'm now using cubase, which has a steep learning curve.

Wayne

Good call on the mac. It's very likely that the problem was your firewire chipset in the PC.

I used to use Garageband which is very easy to use but I simply could not figure out how to do some very simple things:

Wayne

I don't even know at this point if the basic version of garage band will do that. It might be a feature if you upgrade for $79. (I life)

I will work with this until I find hard limits, then likely I will (as suggested) move up to logic 8.

The firewire chipset was likely sony, and really didn't work.

I had to stop for tonight:

I am downloading a couple gigs of updates, and the instrument loops for garage band.

I have decided to add a condenser mic under my octabans to pick up the depth.

Wayne

It donned on me in this process that my cubase install discs are also for mac. I would have to go through the registration/reinstall process again...not to mention the learning curve. That is a future option, but for now---I shall plumb the depths of garage band.

It donned on me in this process that my cubase install discs are also for mac. I would have to go through the registration/reinstall process again...not to mention the learning curve. That is a future option, but for now---I shall plumb the depths of garage band.

I'd advice against Cubase. If you want a more powerful software, stick with Apple products, namely Logic Studio...

I'd advice against Cubase. If you want a more powerful software, stick with Apple products, namely Logic Studio...

MFB did suggest that, and after the butt-pain cubase caused me for a couple weeks, "Logic" really would be my upgrade.

I want to keep my imac microsoft-product free.

I downloaded the garage band instrument plug ins to play with tonight.

Cubase is not a microsoft product.

I realize that. Logic appears to have been designed specifically for the mac. It doesn't seem to have been designed for the PC then ported to the mac.

Either way, I am looking into logic one day.

Recording notes:

I set my kick mic on a towel in the kick. I moved the mic stand so it's under the octabans for a future condenser mic.

The cymbals and drums all came out pretty good. The kick mic had to be reposition so it didn't get the secondary vibration from the resonant so prominently.

Also, I am adjusting things so that the click/slap of the front batter is minimized.

There is a lot of potential here, I just need to ensure what is recorded is a little closer to what I hear.

I fiddled with the rock bass loop (#4 edgy rock bass) but see that I am going to have to wear headphones so I can hear the metronome with it.

I'll probably end up rotating the whole table so I can see the imac display and the monitors are aimed at me.

I realize that. Logic appears to have been designed specifically for the mac. It doesn't seem to have been designed for the PC then ported to the mac.

Either way, I am looking into logic one day.

It is made by Apple, so there is no port. When Emagic owned Logic there were PC versions, but that was back in 2002 when they were bought out. Logic is worth it and far more intuitive than Cubase (in my experience) and Pro Tools (arguably a more powerful audio editor, but hard to use, more expensive and not sure on the sequencer on the new version!). All that said make sure you find somewhere to try Logic out. Most Apple stores have an in-house Logic demonstrator. See if you can seek them out!

Logic is worth it and far more intuitive than Cubase (in my experience) and Pro Tools (arguably a more powerful audio editor, but hard to use, more expensive and not sure on the sequencer on the new version!).

Not only that, but Logic doesn't seem to be particularily picky about the hardware you choose to use with it.

Tonight my goal is to record and post my main snare drum sound. I will do that in "your playing" section.

Just got hold of a Line6 Toneport 8XU this afternoon (was hilarious on the train with the rest of my shopping from my Manchester day trip...!). Microphones and assorted paraphinalia will be sorted soon; so I'll let you know how Logic does with my new rig!

Not only that, but Logic doesn't seem to be particularily picky about the hardware you choose to use with it.

Don't get me started on M-boxes. I saw one today when I was buying my interface. They were asking just short of £300! I know those things are awful, awful, awful. My interface wasn't considerably more than that but it's better quality and has far more on it. Plus there won't be a problem with ridiculously poor signal-to-noise ratio with the preamps AND it's far more flexible.

Oh dear.

I am curious to hear the results!

My snare recording came out pretty decent, if a little bit less than perfect editing.
I am looking for a host site as a file repository (maybe putfile) but I don't want the asinine "wait" countdown or ads if possible.

The presonus makes a better "soundcard" than any soundcard I have ever heard. Unadulterated 24/96 quality.

My side snare will be here saturday (tomorrow) along with my new condenser mic and maybe (gasp) some 2002 bronze.

Incidentally, all the stuff I paid for on PC seems to work just as well for FREE on Imac.

Open office, GIMP, Garage Band... and so on. Why pirate when the stuff is given to you?

Incidentally, all the stuff I paid for on PC seems to work just as well for FREE on Imac.

Open office, GIMP, Garage Band... and so on. Why pirate when the stuff is given to you?

Precisely why Apple have lowered the price of Logic Studio to students. Some guy clearly worked out that students were pirating massive amounts of software and so by lowering the price to something accessible - you're going to reduce the piracy. Cubase is pirated all the time and so are a lot of the plug-ins. Logic doesn't have the same piracy problem, for two reasons: i) it's Mac-only and pirating software on Macs is less common for various reasons and ii) it's accessibly priced to one of their biggest markets. Failing that, Logic Express is available, which is accessibly priced for most people and is a very good functional bit of software. Just without some of the bells and whistles.

Precisely why Apple have lowered the price of Logic Studio to students. Some guy clearly worked out that students were pirating massive amounts of software and so by lowering the price to something accessible - you're going to reduce the piracy. Cubase is pirated all the time and so are a lot of the plug-ins. Logic doesn't have the same piracy problem, for two reasons: i) it's Mac-only and pirating software on Macs is less common for various reasons and ii) it's accessibly priced to one of their biggest markets. Failing that, Logic Express is available, which is accessibly priced for most people and is a very good functional bit of software. Just without some of the bells and whistles.

Agreed. When I discovered just how low the price of the Logic Pro package was at student rates it made me not only buy ut but the macbook to run it on. It's very nice to have all the manuals as well.

When did you get Logic and the MacBook? Out of interest? Recently or when they first made the price cut?

The snare recording came out pretty good. I edited the samples together so it went directly from snares off to snares on.

The "Play" kept going and I kept looking for a "stop" button. Apple has the KISS principle in full effect here. Simply deselect the play.... duhhh....

My side snare is on a fed ex truck in town heading my way. Once it gets here and I set it up, I am off to GC for another condenser mic and maybe some CuSn8 disks.

Back