Yamaha DTXtreme IIs or DTX530?

derrickm

Looking for my first electric kit. I'm a former acoustic player, but haven't played in a few years. I have a chance to buy a used DTXtreme IIs for $1100 or a used DTX530 for $900.

Which is more bang for the buck? I'm leaning more towards the DTXtreme, but since that model is quite old, how outdated is it? Are drum sounds on par with the newer DTX530?

Just looking for some pros and cons of each.

I have a Dtxtreme II and love it. It's a much more powerful brain than the 530. And you are getting an extra cymbal and floor tom pad, and all the pads are 3 trigger units. You can also load your own samples into it.
Some of the sounds are a little dated, but worst case, you can send your playing to a laptop and use a modern program to substitute amazing drum sounds.

The only thing it doesn't do well is cymbal swells in my opinion.

Does anybody know what the build quality is on the DTXtreme IIs module? Should I be concerned about buying a used model that isn't made anymore? I hate to dish out that much cash only to have it die on me.

Are modules prone to having issues? I realize it has no moving parts and it's all electronic...I guess I'm nervous buying something older for that much money! Do the DTXtreme IIs modules have any type of history of issues that I should be aware of?

Really having a hard time choosing between the DTXtreme IIs and the much newer DTX530....

I had a set of DTxtreme II's and loved them. I actually bought mine from a church for $800. I never had a problem with the module and I had it for a couple years before selling it for $1000.

I dont have any experience with the DTX530...

Back