Decisions decisions??

burn-4

Hi guys, not posted for a while.

I am looking at getting an electric kit just for practising when I'm away from my acoustic kit (roughly mid weeks 3 or 4 months of the year). During the summer and at xmas the kit won't be used at all.

So my dilemma is this; do I literally just go as basic as possible (without being entirely terrible) like a second hand Roland td3, spend a little extra for a td4 or td6, or save a little and go for a td9? Then there is the option of the Alesis dm10 which comes with an awful lot of equipment for the price, but for the amount I will be using it is it worth the extra cash?

As a rough guide in the Uk the used prices are as follows;

td3; £300
td4 £400
6; £500
9; £600
DM10; £600

I had a td-12 in the past but sold it as I wasn't using it enough to warrant having spent so much on it (also I wanted a car haha). So I am aware these are not the best kits on the market and the hi hats in particular are a weakness of all mentioned but I suppose for the amount I will be using it it's not worth the extra £100-200 for a VH11 Hi hat

Anyway hope I haven't rambled on too long! As always would appreciate peoples inputs and thoughts on the subject!

Cheers

Whichever Roland or Yamaha you buy, you can resell at not much of a loss, so don't worry too much about choosing the wrong one. Except you may take a big loss on an Alesis.

Always go for the newest model you can afford. Some of those kits you list are two generations old. The sounds keep improving so newer is better.

Right ok. So is the td9 the newest of those mentioned? Or is it the td4?

If I get a 2nd hand Alexis for £450-500 I can't see myself taking a massive hit if I sell it on. Only thing is are they any good?

Problem with going 2nd hand is I can't try them all out before hand I guess

Right ok. So is the td9 the newest of those mentioned? Or is it the td4?

If I get a 2nd hand Alexis for £450-500 I can't see myself taking a massive hit if I sell it on. Only thing is are they any good?

Problem with going 2nd hand is I can't try them all out before hand I guess

The TD-9 and TD-4 are from the same generation, but the TD-9 is the better, more expensive one. In the USA, you can get these two kits brand new at big discounts, because they have been superseded by the TD-11 and TD-15.

Do a wiki on Roland drums to see which numbers came out in which years. They are not in numerical order. Get a feel for the fair price of the older ones by searching eBay.

Alesis are good, and relatively cheap also, but you will find that many drummers feel they are unreliable as compared to Yamaha and Roland. You should search and read as much as you can, not just on Drummerworld but everywhere.

Yeah I gathered that the td-9 was better than the 4.

Right so in short the td-4 is probably worth a £100 more than the 3 if not just for the extra sounds etc then because it is a newer kit as well.

But is the 9 worth a couple of hundred bucks worth more than the 4? Also does the td4 support the vh-11 hi-hat? and are there enough inputs on the td-4 module to accommodate this if I do choose to upgrade it? I remember on the td-12 you had an input for the hi hat and the hi hat control so it took up 2 slots, I'm unsure as to if this is the case with the 'lesser' hi hats found on the bog standard td4 and 9?

Yeah I gathered that the td-9 was better than the 4.

Right so in short the td-4 is probably worth a £100 more than the 3 if not just for the extra sounds etc then because it is a newer kit as well.

But is the 9 worth a couple of hundred bucks worth more than the 4? Also does the td4 support the vh-11 hi-hat? and are there enough inputs on the td-4 module to accommodate this if I do choose to upgrade it? I remember on the td-12 you had an input for the hi hat and the hi hat control so it took up 2 slots, I'm unsure as to if this is the case with the 'lesser' hi hats found on the bog standard td4 and 9?
\

Based on what you write here, you will need the Roland TD-9, or a Yamaha DTX-700 to be satisfied.

Cheers for the help all.
Tried a td4 yesterday and its perfectly adequate for my needs
The hi hats didn't bother me too much and seen a few for £400ish so pretty happy to pay that

Back