Reccomend an all-in-one-box E-drum kit?

T-1000

I'm strapped for space, so even a compact kit that uses different pads will probably be too big.

Instead, I need an all-in-one-box type unit, like this the DrumKat if you've ever seen that... I will add a foot-pad and double pedal, hi-hat foot pad, trigger sounds from my computer and hopefully will have a 'complete' kit at a fraction of the size.

Except you can no longer buy the DrumKat in the UK...

Does anyone know of something good and comparable?

Roland SPD-SX, SPD-30

Yamaha Muli-12

Alesis Performance Pad Pro and Sample Pad

Simmons SDMP-1

Probably a few others I'm forgetting too.

I'm strapped for space, so even a compact kit that uses different pads will probably be too big.

Instead, I need an all-in-one-box type unit, like this the DrumKat if you've ever seen that... I will add a foot-pad and double pedal, hi-hat foot pad, trigger sounds from my computer and hopefully will have a 'complete' kit at a fraction of the size.

Except you can no longer buy the DrumKat in the UK...

Does anyone know of something good and comparable?

I have owned several, if not all. See: http://www.the-vu.com/2012/03/one-piece-electronic-drums/. The smallest conventional kits like the DTX500, TD11 etc are not much larger in terms of space. Once you have the throne and pedals and something in front of that triangle to play on, the footprint is similar, about 48" square.

I have both SPD-30 and the SPD SX.

The SPD 30 is awesome as a stand alone mini kit. It has a full variable HH, tons of effects, and more fully adjustable sounds than you'll ever be able to use. You dont' need to, but I use external HH, Kick, Snare and Ride/Crash. I LOVE it. It's like playing on a real kit. But way smaller.

The SPD SX I use along with my acoustics for loops, backtracks, sound FX, percusion sounds etc. I wouldn't want to use it as a mini kit. That's not the intended purpose.

I just bought a new HD3.
I only use it for personal practice.
That is all that I bought it for, and that is all that it is good for.

The built in pedals have poor action. I use them to get a workout. If you can get them going fast then a real pedal is a piece of cake!
The mesh head snare is OK and so are the new style fabric coated rubber toms.
The rubber cymbals have poor bounce but I use that to give me a hand workout.
Just like the pedals, if you can play fast rides on the cymbals than a real cymbal is a walk in the park.
The programed kits are OK but you can't alter them. It would be nice if you could change the volume levels of the pieces a bit from the programed levels.
I have to use a small headphone amplifier to drive my Vic Firth headphones. The output of the brain is only good for ear buds.
Set up adjustments are limited but OK. The hat could be a bit higher.
The metronome is basic and limited. You can't accent the one on each measure and you can't change the volume level of the click for example. I plug an external metronome into the brain and I mix it in.

Overall it is what I expected and it does the job as a practice tool.
I like it. It is what it is.

Attachments

• 1015021609.jpg
    1015021609.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 923
You probably already have it, but I'll link to it just in case. There's a new OS (V.2.0) for the SPD-30. Some new kits/sounds, and fixes a few glitches:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SPD-30/

Thanks wild bill, yeah I got that update the day it came out. I do like having 99 kits at my disposal since I pretty much create all of my own kits. And the other updates seem good.

T1000, after seeing bobs post, I should add that thru eBay and Craigslist, I'm into my mini kit set up for about $1300 spanned out over a few months. That includes a kd9, vh11, pd125, cy15 and an assortment of brackets. So that may influence your decision. But you could easliy knock $300-400 off that. I wound up spending more than I thought I would, but it was by choice. I could have spent less and gotten close to the same results.

I think this looks like the best solution to the OP's problem, especially if he is a gigging drummer. If this is too big for him, I think the sounds I've heard in the demos on the SPD-30 are better than the SPD-S or Yamaha Multi-12, plus I think the SPD-30 is the most user friendly as far as adding hi-hat and kick pedals and using it as a compact kit.

I own a Trixon cocktail kit and a Pearl Rthym Traveler Pod, and am saving my money to upgrade to a Whitney Sidekick Penguin down the road, but I might have to check out this TD-4KP, since I really already have the acoustic side covered.

Thanks for posting the links.

I'm strapped for space, so even a compact kit that uses different pads will probably be too big....

... I need an all-in-one-box type unit, like this the DrumKat ...

The suggestions I gave in post #3 are all multi-pads. He says that even a compact e-kit with separate pads would be too big.

The multipads are all units that have individual pads joined into an 'all in one box' type thing. The Multi-12 is only a little larger than one square foot - backpack size, and the others aren't much bigger. They make extremely compact kits.

The suggestions I gave in post #3 are all multi-pads. He says that even a compact e-kit with separate pads would be too big.

The multipads are all units that have individual pads joined into an 'all in one box' type thing. The Multi-12 is only a little larger than one square foot - backpack size, and the others aren't much bigger. They make extremely compact kits.

You're right. I forgot that when I wrote my last post. Another good thing about the Multi-12 and the SPD-S is that they both sample. I don't know if that's important to the OP or not, but it's worth mentioning.

Going back to the original post, he or she expressed interest in a DrumKAT so maybe these little eKits are not going to fit the bill. But, if the original poster is still here, the DrumKAT requires an external sound source, so it is not actually all in one box, and once you have the throne and two pedals on the floor, it needs a bit of room anyway. 4' X 3' is about what it needs.

There really is a need in the market for a very good one-piece option that has not yet been filled, except by the TrapKAT-5KS. But that is expensive. I have had one, and I don't even know if you can get one over in the UK. What we need is for Yamaha or Roland to make a true one-piece solution for drummers, that sounds like drums, not like electronic sound effects, xylophones, congas, old 808s etc. Just actual drum sets. No sampling, sequencers and all that electronic keyboardist nonsense. And easy to use also. Why won't they just make one for drummers?

Going back to the original post, he or she expressed interest in a DrumKAT so maybe these little eKits are not going to fit the bill. But, if the original poster is still here, the DrumKAT requires an external sound source, so it is not actually all in one box, and once you have the throne and two pedals on the floor, it needs a bit of room anyway. 4' X 3' is about what it needs.

There really is a need in the market for a very good one-piece option that has not yet been filled, except by the TrapKAT-5KS. But that is expensive. I have had one, and I don't even know if you can get one over in the UK. What we need is for Yamaha or Roland to make a true one-piece solution for drummers, that sounds like drums, not like electronic sound effects, xylophones, congas, old 808s etc. Just actual drum sets. No sampling, sequencers and all that electronic keyboardist nonsense. And easy to use also. Why won't they just make one for drummers?

Just to point out to those who don't already know this, the 5KS part of the TrapKat-5KS thebarak mentioned means it comes with preloaded samples by Kurzweil, and boy is he right, they are expensive.

They do also make a DrumKat with the Kurzweil sounds built in (DrumKat Turbo KS), but it's $1428 USD by itself, and $1525 bundled with hi-hat and bass drum trigger/pedals, so you're still shelling out some major bucks, just not as much as for the TrapKat.

The octapad (SPD-30) is pretty cool, I thought about building a micro-kit out of one once,
and others have done it. You can us it alone with two pedals, or add bits like a snare,
and a HH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKyAa3OG2CE

The video shows triggering to a computer too.

Thanks for the video. I've thought about doing the same thing. Just think, one trip load in/out with a total weight, including stand and pedals, of an 18" floor tom.

Kraft Music has a package deal for $1,260 USD for the Octapad, stand, HH and KD controllers, throne, headphones and flashdrive.

That might be a viable alternative to for the OP. Youtube has a few good videos on the Octapad, and I think the kit sounds are really good. Plus you can swich from a modern rock kit to a vintage rock kit to a jazz kit to a hip-hop kit instantaneously, a big convenience for a drummer who plays in a group that covers a variety of styles.

Back