Iron Cobra anchoring problem

joyfulnoise91

Hello Everyone!!
I have a question regarding my iron cobra single pedal, it wont lay flat on the ground when I anchor it to my bass drum. It seems the lip that anchors the pedal to the hoop is too thick, causing it to become a sort of "lever", lifting the heel of the pedal base up off the ground by about a 1/2 inch. I have looked into this problem online, but have not found a solid answer. I am debating on slipping something under the drum to fix the problem, but I feel there must be an easier solution. Am I missing something?

After watching this video, I noticed that the hoop has some sort of clamps on each side of the pedal attachment (1:14-1:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnjd1IDq00

What are these? Is there an easy way to remedy this? Any answers would be greatly appreciated as i would like to get this figured out asap and resume working on my foot technique.
Thanks and God Bless!

Hmm. When I set up, what I do is put the bass drum down, and then slide the pedal on, but make sure it's sitting flat on the floor before I tighten the clamp to the hoop. When I'm satisfied it's where it needs to be and is flat, then I tighten down the clamp, and only make it tight enough so it holds on to the hoop. It doesn't need to be torqued on there. Between the plate of the pedal, and the spurs, the drum shouldn't travel anywhere if its on a carpet.

I believe you're referring to the hoop claws that are used to tension the bass drum's head that happen to be located on either side of the bass drum pedal. How high do you have the front of your bass drum sitting? Try adjusting the front height of the drum to see if it rectifies your problem.

Dennis

Thanks for all the replies! The problem is not due to the clamp, I too set down my bass drum and slip the pedal underneath first. However, the back end of the pedal actually raises up before i even try to tighten the clamp. I tried lowering the front spurs, which alleviates the problem somewhat but there is still a gap. I think the problem stems from the sheer thickness of the front of the pedal, that when slipped under the bass drum acts as a pressure point. Any suggestions? I will try to post some pictures to hopefully describe this better.

strips of velcro on the bottom of the base plate helps with that.

That helps, and also, try a couple of rubber hoop savers. I hd that problem, then I slid a hoop saver in between the bottom of the hoop and the mounting bracket on my pedal. No more problem. Hope it helps.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my Gibraltar pedal on a Catalina Maple kit.

This looks like something functioning similarly to what was in the video you posted, but 40 bucks? This bass drum lift looks like it functions similarly to the supports in the video but only has one support and there was some feedback that it didn't stay attached to the drums very well sometimes.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/dixson-bass-drum-lift

Did you get your problem sorted?

Bass drum risers.
The best riser that I have seen in made by dw. It requires drilling and mounting to the shell of the drum.
Gibraltar and Mapex also make excellent risers that clamp to the hoop.

I noticed I had the same problem with the Axis, Trick and DW pedals. Raising/dropping the front of the bassdrum didn't really seem to help. Putting velcro on the bottom of the heel of the pedal didn't really help, it just made the pedal pull the carpet up. It seems its because of the weight of the bass drum and where it meets the pedal/ clamp. It almost makes like a v shape between the bass drum and the pedal. I would think the bass drum would have to be level across the bottom with the pedal. Normally with the spurs down the front of the bassdrum is a little bit higher than the back most likely causing this problem.

Back