Double pedals that work righty or lefty.

JeremyS

I know the Iron Cobra can be converted, but I'm wondering if there are any others before I make a purchase. I need a new double pedal and I would like to try setting up with my bass drum on the left side and using a lefty double pedal, but I'd like to get one that I can convert back to right if I don't care for the feel of the slave as my main. I have a budget of about $400 and will most likely buy used if at all possible.

I know Pearl Eliminators and DW can't be done. It looks like the Pacific BOA might be able to with a lot of work.
I've emailed Gibraltar about the Intruder and Mapex about the new Falcon, but haven't gotten a response yet. Anybody know of any others?

I have no problem buying an Iron Cobra, just wondering if there are any other options.

Thanks,
Jeremy.

Guess my question is why would you want to use the slave pedal as your main pedal?

I'm short and have short arms to boot and it would greatly aid me in tom positioning.

You know I'm wondering if a rack might not be a better option getting your toms off your kick and onto the rack. You can push your kick out further and get closer to your toms.

Jeremy---I asked the same question on another forum and got trashed with responses from others. I simply wanted an answer, not their opinion. I hear ya...here's what I did. I too, wanted to move my bass to the left so I could pull my toms in lower and closer to my right side. This would not only lower my tom position---I have a 24" bass on my larger kit--- but it also lowered my ride to a spot that was comfortable for me. I did the same on my smaller bop kit seen in this photo. I found that Pearl was one of the pedals that could be switched, but it was their Demon series that cost $600. I am currently unemployed so that was out of the question. I did however, buy the $100 lefty model on Ebay just to see if that was what I wanted to do. While it's not a DW9000 by any means, it allowed me to experiment with that setup. Turns out it has been a great help to my playing. Here's a pic of my bop kit with my current Taye pedal in it's place just for grins. IF I EVER FIND ANOTHER JOB, I'll pick up the Taye lefty pedal. Great gear and this is how I will setup for some time now. I am currently using this same setup on my larger Slingerland kit--24",13" 14" and 15" hanging toms using the less expensive lefty pedal. I hope this rambling mess helps. Play what works for you.

Attachments

• leftybopresize.jpg
    leftybopresize.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 7,762
Thanks for all the responses. I'm much obliged.

can you post a pic of your setup?

I haven't been able to get online lately, but I can post one tomorrow evening.

The VEX double pedal can be used either way.

I haven't been able to find very many good things said about these, though.

All that said, I think I've found an answer to my dilemma. I was planning on selling my Duallist Triple to help finance my new pedal, but when I was taking it apart, I got a little crazy and took the slave completely apart and found that it can act as a slave either left or right, so all I need now is a single. I really don't care if my pedals match, so I can just scour ebay 'till I get a good deal on an Iron Cobra/Eliminator/DW/etc. single pedal and have some $$ left over for a new cymbal or some heads or something. Don't really know why I never thought of this before, but I typically find the hardest way to do anything before coming around.

If anybody's interested in a Duallist D4 double shoot me a PM. I'll put it up in the marketplace tomorrow once I get some pics taken. Maybe save me from putting it on feebay.

This is what it says on the Thomann website about the Falcon:

"Mapex P1000TW Falcon Double Bass Drum Pedal - extremely smooth playing pedal, new talon bass drum hoop clamp, thomann interchangeable glide and pursuit cams. Reversible beater head comes with interchangeable 10g and 20g inserts. Convert for left handed use."

"Convert for left handed use". Anybody try it? Does it come with instructions?

Have a look at the Sleishman pedal too - it works right or left handed and doesn't need conversion - nothing is as evenly balanced.

Have a look at the Sleishman pedal too - it works right or left handed and doesn't need conversion - nothing is as evenly balanced.

Tricks Pro V1s are definately as evenly balanced.

F

I e-mailed the drum department at Thomann, and this is what they replied, in about two minutes!

"
Hi there,
I called Mapex myself last week and they confirmed that this could be done with the Falcon!

"

Not bad :) Now all I have to do is try one out, like it, and get the money :D

Back