Metal snare choices, advice (BP/Yamaha/Pearl/PDP content)

Captainobvious99

I'm looking for a new snare and I have narrowed down to a few choices. I'm hoping some of you can chime in with some advice to help me in making the selection. Unfortunately, some of these I simply can't listen to locally...

Snare will be added to a Tama Superstar Custom hyperdrive kit. I play mainly rock tunes, and the sound I like is higher tuned, more "pop" sound than crack sound, with little ring. Not alot of ring, and not totally dry. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, listen to this sample, its in that range of sound...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyoBZBxmVvc

I've listened to the sound samples on the Black Panther snares and I've hit up youtube for videos on some of the others. Here are some of my options...

Black Panther Hammered Phosphor Bronze 14x5.5"
Black Panther Hammered Steel 14x5.5"
Black Panther Walnut 14x6.5"
Pacific SX Beaded Copper 14x5.5"
Pacific SX Hammered Bronze 14x5.5"
Pearl Reference Brass 14x6.5"
Pork Pie BB 14x5.5"
Yamaha Nouveau Copper 14x5.5"

maybe even a DW aluminum 14x5.5" if I find an ebay deal...

I dont know much about the Pacific SX metals...are they good quality parts and construction? Sound?

Anyways, Please offer up any advice you can give on what would be the better choices for what I play, the sound I want, and overall quality.

THANKS!!

I own a Black Panther Walnut and it is a beast. If you want stick definition to come accross through micing you'll want it tuned high and you get a deep and dark tone. However this fundamental tone will always be low, it may be acute but will not be high or provide as significant crack as other snares.

Back