Top 5 easiest Zeppelin Songs to learn

N

nhzoso

Just like the title reads, Give me your 5 easiest Zeppelin songs that a seasoned beginner could learn in a few weeks or so.

Thanks

Just like the title reads, Give me your 5 easiest Zeppelin songs that a seasoned beginner could learn in a few weeks or so.

Thanks

A "seasoned" beginner? I hope they tenderized you thoroughly, first.

I'd say:

- The Ocean
- When the Levee Breaks
- Black Country Woman
- Kashmir
- Four Sticks (played with two sticks)

Learning most Zep songs isn't a technical challenge but rather an exercise in making your drumming feel good. Bonzo could lay down an elementary groove (e.g. Kashmir) and put you into another state of mind.

The Ocean and Four Sticks might be the most challenging. Four Sticks is very easy once you get the two main patterns down and it's very repetitive. Don't concern yourself with the time signature...internalize the melody and play to that instead.

Immigrant song and Communication Breakdown are piss easy when you get it up to speed but you need to play it right. Bonham made rhythms that look simple on paper come alive, that's why he was so special.

I would add "In the evening" from the album "In through the outdoor".
Very easy and good grooving for over 6 minutes.

Communication Breakdown, Good Times Bad Times, Immigrant Song, Kashmir and Whole Lotta Love are essential. I would say that Good Times Bad Times is the best if you use a single pedal. Thats how I got good at heel toe!

Zeppelin isn't too hard technically, but the feel is the hard part.

The Immigrant Song.

~ Dazed and Confused.
~ Ramble On.
~ Immigrant Song, Celebration Day.
~ The Ocean.
~ Sick Again.
+ Achilles Last Stand.
+ We're Gonna Groove.

The easiest, hardest, to learn to play who knows? but the feeling and strength are amazing!.

Communication Breakdown and Heartbreaker are my reccomendations.
It's great that your starting out with quite possibly the greatest rock drummer of all time, you will learn so much about creativity and style. Sure, it will take patience an commitment to learn but at the end of the day it's worth it.

Achilles easy to play? Man, I can't wait to get to that point in my ability someday.

My vote for easiest?

Since I've Been Loving You
Tangerine
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.

Achilles Last Stand is very easy. It's all about endurance

Led Zeppelin was the first band i started covering w/ my teacher. The first Five i did were in this order...

D'yer Marker
What is and What should Never Be
The Ocean
Heartbreaker
Black Dog or Misty Mountain Hop. (cant remember which of those two because it was about 10 years ago a little after i started playing.)

Those may not be necassarily the easiest, but they were the order i did them in. My teacher is really good at what he does and i definitley trust his judgement.

I pretty much agree with Class A Drummer. As far as blanket statements about Bonham being fairly easy to play, I totally disagree. If you have a good stereo system, listen closely to his kick drum. He can roll triplets on that thing when most drummers would lay down a quarter or a double, and they are very subtle and hard to detect on most sound systems. So there are alot of drummers thinking they are playing him note for note who are actually not. But you can still as a novice drummer play along to most Zep songs with quarter bass beats, even though Bonzo maybe dribbling his kick drum like a basketball.

He can roll triplets on that thing when most drummers would lay down a quarter or a double, and they are very subtle and hard to detect on most sound systems. So there are alot of drummers thinking they are playing him note for note who are actually not. But you can still as a novice drummer play along to most Zep songs with quarter bass beats, even though Bonzo maybe dribbling his kick drum like a basketball.

So true, So many think they are playing it correctly when they are not. Then they give you the ol' "well I added my own flavor to it because I don't want to be a clone" LOL Yeah right!

Class "A" I like your list as that seem about right, with Bron-Y-aur stomp and since I been loving you. I tried to learn Thank you last week as that is me and the wife's song but my timing is a little off and one of the fills he does is just a little too fast for me at this point. Sure I could get by but it is not exact like I want it to be.

I was also surprised to see The Immigrant Song show up on this thread. My ears may not be hearing him right on this, but it sounds like he's playing his kick and snare note for note with John Paul Jones on that song. If so, that's five kick beats per measure, with the first, fourth and fifth being syncopated. That's a hard song to play for alot of intermediate drummers without strong right shin and calf muscles, especially at the pace Zeppelin does it at.

I was also surprised to see The Immigrant Song show up on this thread. My ears may not be hearing him right on this, but it sounds like he's playing his kick and snare note for note with John Paul Jones on that song. If so, that's five kick beats per measure, with the first, fourth and fifth being syncopated. That's a hard song to play for alot of intermediate drummers without strong right shin and calf muscles, especially at the pace Zeppelin does it at.

Yeah I saw that and thought either you are not playing it correctly or you have been playing so long that you forgot how hard it is for a beginner/Intermediate.

I am pretty sure he is playing 8 BD hits per measure on that song, which is insane, especially at the speed they do it at.

Yeah I saw that and thought either you are not playing it correctly or you have been playing so long that you forgot how hard it is for a beginner/Intermediate.

I am pretty sure he is playing 8 BD hits per measure on that song, which is insane, especially at the speed they do it at.

You are correct. And my non sheet music reading brain was actually splitting a full measure in half, thinking there were 5 BD hits per half measure (looking at the transcription in Traps Magazine, proves you are correct, however). Either way, it is insane at the speed Zep plays that song at. But Bonzo was insane, what can we expect, lol?

Back