Which tom?

remoking

I'm finally able to buy a rack tom for my PDP platinum kit. Only, I can't decide if I should go with the 8x10...or 9x12. I play mostly pop and rock, and a little punk. I love the sound of both sizes in that genre. Any encouragment on which one I should get would be helpful haha.

Sometime I hope to have both, but for now, and for a while, I will only be getting one.

Last edited:
12x9 gets my vote. I've never been a fan of rack toms smaller that 12".

I like both 10"and 12".
What toms do you have right now, what are we adding to?

Yeah, isn't 8" a little small for rock? For pop, I guess you COULD use an 8", but the 12" would be more versatile for both genres.

Yeah, isn't 8" a little small for rock? For pop, I guess you COULD use an 8", but the 12" would be more versatile for both genres.

What are you talking about?

My vote: 12"

What are you talking about?

My vote: 12"

Because for rock music, especially punk, you want more of a mid-pitched tom, rather than a high one. Then for pop, a lot of stuff in that genre has more high pitched punchy toms...

Because for rock music, especially punk, you want more of a mid-pitched tom, rather than a high one. Then for pop, a lot of stuff in that genre has more high pitched punchy toms...

You read it the wrong way. The Diameter is 10 not 8

"Isn't 8" a little small for rock?"

These guys didn't get the memo.

bobtodd3a.jpg

MikePORTNOY2.jpg

s-neil-peart-poster.jpg

deen.jpg

With good heads, you can get the 12"er to sing at a more high pitched tone, but the 10" can very well just end up papery and disgusting when too low.

12" For the versatility.

Back