$750 - what are the best options?

jtkiv

i'm looking to get a better kit than my current (gretsch nighthawk :p) and i'm think of
paying about 750. I dont have that yet, but once i do what are some of the kits (new/used)i can get for that that arent beginner kits? I've been really impressed with my gretsch so I'm thinking of the Catalina Maple, but what else would there be to compete thats as good for that much? and i definetly want a 6 piece, no 5.

i'm looking to get a better kit than my current (gretsch nighthawk :p) and i'm think of
paying about 750. I dont have that yet, but once i do what are some of the kits (new/used)i can get for that that arent beginner kits? I've been really impressed with my gretsch so I'm thinking of the Catalina Maple, but what else would there be to compete thats as good for that much? and i definetly want a 6 piece, no 5.

Used Mapex Pro M kits are flooding the likes of Craig's List right now, and they are fantastic kits. I keep finding them for around $600.

Hey, I personally would recommened you do some research into tama drums. The drum kits are made to the best of quality with maple and birch and the equipment is outstanding. I personally have a 8 piece tama superstar kit, 10 piece including the steel timphs, if thats how it's spelt. They sound amazing. I've played on a heck of a lot of kits even the top end of the range in DW and Pearl and I personally think tama sound way better live and in the studio. The best thing about them is that they make top quallity kits for prices that you can afford. A lot of big brands like DW often bump the prices up simply because it says DW on it. Be careful not to buy a kit just for the name. But really you need to get to a shop and try some kits out for yourself and pick the one that YOU love the sound of and the look of. Don't buy of the net you can't hear what your buying.

Hope you find your perfect kit

Robertondrums

Ludwig Accent CS Custom Elite. 100% birch. You can get a new one for that price with a complete hardware package. Change the heads, and you'll have one knockout drumset.

Attachments

• FINAL TAYE 001.jpg
    FINAL TAYE 001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 272
Ludwig Accent CS Custom Elite. 100% birch. You can get a new one for that price with a complete hardware package. Change the heads, and you'll have one knockout drumset.

I've never seen a Ludwig Accent whose hardware hasn't failed within two years. I'm talking basic hardware- clamps for floor tom legs, tom mounts, even cymbal stands and hi-hats. Three or four schools and individuals I've known with this kit- same issues all over.

Maybe the upper levels ones are different, but I always encourage students to stay away from Ludwig Accent.

If 750 is the limit I would go with the Cat Maples. Solid kit & well worth the money. One dealer sells 'em on eBay w/ hardware for $749 free shipping. Another option would be to see how long it takes to save $1200. The same dealer sells Renown's for $1149. They are the cat's meow. Sonor 3007's go for $999 (shells). Both kits are a step above the Cat's but those Cat Maples are a sweet kit in their own right. Good luck & post pics of your new kit!

Peace

Catalina Maple good choice

Taye Pro-X with hardware for about that price.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...Drums-ProX-Classic-5piece-Drum-Set?sku=500710

I owned the Taye pro x before selling them to buy my Gretsch. I highly recommend them for the money

I totally agree! And I gotta shamelessly plug us b/c our price is a little better than MF (nothing new there). They charge $70 shipping. We do not.

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store/pc-2126-282-taye-px522c-prox-5pc-complete-drum-set.aspx

Aside from the shameless plug, the Taye kits ARE amazing. In fact, I unpacked a ProX today and once again, was impressed by the quality of the drums, sound, and finish.

amdrumparts.com

For $750, you can buy a very nice 4-5 piece kit with Keller shells. The only catch is that you have to assemble it and finish it yourself (assuming you even want to finish it, because the wood is beautiful as is), but the holes are already drlled for all of the lugs, so it's very easy. I bought a snare from them and it sounds phenomenal. These are the same shells that almost every custom ply drum maker uses, and even many large companies (such as DW up until the late nineties). They sound great, there are many hardwear options, the price is very reasonable, and you can stain them in any way you like or leave them raw. Any name brand kit for $750 will most likely not compare unless you buy a used one.

Seriously man, check it out and forget about paying ridiculous amounts of money for a name. Though I love my Pearl Masters, I regret buying it after finding this website and seeing that I could get a keller kit in the exact sizes I want with any hardwear for a little more than 1/2 the price.

There are a few other companies like amdrumparts.com, just search around.

Back