Seb Rochford

nosuggestion

Have started getting into this guy after seeing him on the Mercury Awards (with Basquiat Strings). Think he is getting a bit of attention these days but didn't find any mention of him here (apart from a brief mention in the BIG jazz thread).
Wondered if anyone is familiar with him and what your thoughts are - He also plays with Polar Bear and Acoustic Ladyland. I'm not really a jazzer so don't have the reference to critique him, but what I've heard so far is really getting me.
Found some short video interviews with him at http://www.soundjunction.org/sebrochfordlookingforsomethingtohit.aspa?NodeID=183
and he also seems like the sweetest guy.
Oh and also, Hiya to everyone - my first post, although I've been gratefully reading around here for awhile - thanks to all for the good advice I've found so far.

Yes, I'm a massive fan of his. Listen to "Fluffy (I Want You)" from Polar Bear's "Held on the Tips of Fingers".

Hello there.

I have a Polar Bear CD and what I think is the 1st Acoustic Ladyland CD. Both are great additions to my music collection. Inspiring stuff! I like Sebs groove and bold sound. Unfortunately, I missed Polar Bear playing near where I live about a month ago. Gutted! Hope they come round again.
I read an article in Rhythm on Seb a little while ago. Good interview and his drums seemed to be quite vintage. Big booming bass drum! I think it was 26". Quite unusual for jazzers nowadays ...always expect the little 18".

I think I'm going to listen to Ladyland now actually ...see ya!

Big T

Seb - saw him two years ago at the Manchester Jazz Fest with Polar bear. He was EXPLOSIVE. What a drummer - absolutely fantastic. Polar Bear come to Matt and Phreds here in Manc quite often - I need to check them out again. Great stuff.

I only started looking at this forum a few days ago when I was after some new hi-hats, went on the drummer bit and nobody had even mentioned Seb. It's ridiculous - he's like my favourite drummer. Properly musical, exciting and isn't bothered about how shiny his cymbals are.

Haha I know. That's why you've got to love him. I think he's a bit of a simpleton. Either that or very camera-shy.

I've only seen Seb once at a jazz jam at the George IV in Chiswick. I was blown away by his totally relaxed and fluid style. He just seemed to bend time!

Does nayone know if he if teaches anywhere in London?

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm a drummer interested in connecting with like minded musicians.

I saw an ad about a weekly night at the Troy Bar, Hoxton which said that Seb Rochford, Shabaka Hutchings and Kenichi Iwasa will be playing on Oct 11th.

It sounds wicked and wanted to know if anyone else was thinking of going?

I saw Seb play three sets last weekend at Aeon festival in Devon. I spoke to him after one of the sets while I was sorting out some of our gear and not only is he an unbelievable musician, but he also very modest, and a very nice man. He was asking questions about our band and seemed genuinely interested. One of the best drummers I have ever seen play live. Truly inspiring.

I also admire Seb greatly.

I have Acoustic Ladyland and Polar Bear CDs but they always disappoint. I know I should like them but I don't and I cannot put my finger on why.

I'm not a big fan of the overdriven bass sound, which seems all wrong in this context.

Davo

Back