Dave Abbruzzese

I think this guys the man. Awesome drummer, the guy just looks like he’s too good to take it seriously (not saying he is or anything, I really have no idea of his playing beyond Pearl Jam). Check out their SNL appearances (Reviewmirror, Alive, Not For You). I don't get why they fired him? He was perfect for them (well I guess not but in my opinion).
Also: Pearl Jam - talk about a band being spoiled with good drummers.

Any one else like this guy?

-Mario

Pearl Jam had many good drummers but Dave Abbruzzese was the one that fit the best at the time. The music was more mainstream but had so much more energy. Dave is pretty precise and had some originale ideas for example W.M.A. rythm is so cool as the whole song is one of their best. The albume VS is one of the greatest albums of the 90's. He's my favourite Pearl Jam drummer !!!!
From what I've heard he wanted to leave Pearl Jam because they were going into a direction he didn't want to follow..........guess I'm maybe wrong.

IMO Dave Krusen was the best drummer for Pearl Jam. He did only "Ten" with them (studio) and left straight after that for family reasons. His sound & ideas are just amazing and they seem to fit exactly to the music of this particular group. Plus he seemed to move P.J. to a music direction that they never seemed to quite catch again after his departure.

Also "Ten" is such a good album (if you are/where into this music) since every single one of the songs is great - contrary to the following albums.

It's no wonder that "Ten" has sold 12million copies (by far the top-seller) while the newest ones are selling around 500.000.

Sorry if I got a little of topic here, but I didn't see Dave Krusen anywhere in the forum and I think he's a really good drummer and for P.J. the best choice IMO ofcourse.

i heard dave krusen got fired simply because he was too weird (lol) and didn't fit in with the band.... but nevermind, he wasn't that great imo. Dave Abbruzzese was better.

Dave was a good drummer and since he was in the pearl jam's more 'mainstream' era when they were the biggest rockstars in the business, so he got his credit for it, which is great. he's not as good as Jack Irons or Matt Cameron though.
we cant really say 'he fit the music best at the time', because we don't know what the other drummers would've sounded like with pearl jam 'at the time' (when they wrote vs. and vitalogy) (krusen was fired, jack irons was mentally vulnerable and matt cameron was in soundgarden).
hmmm still don't kno why he got fired though...
i think he over-uses his huge collection of cymbals on "vs." though.

pearl jam seems to get a better drummer every time... Dave Krusen---->Dave A----->Jack Irons------>and now... the mighty Matt Cameron!

I think a lot of that has to do with the tight knit Pacific Northwest music scene. I grew up there, and can tell you, most people don't want to leave, because its such an awesome place. Other people up and move to Nashville or LA, to get into music, but Seattle guys just stay there and rotate musicians.

Stu

I'm not sure if Dave Krusen was fired....
Last I googled was that he couldn't tour with the band on "Ten" since he just had a baby and wanted to stay home with his family. This sounds really different than "he got fired" which could take some respect out of this real life person...

I think Matt Cameron is a great drummer, and I really enjoy listening to him -especially with Soundgarden. Sure he can be a time-machine - and quite a thunderous one as well. Nonetheless we're talking totally different approach here. I'm not sure I can put it in words other than: jazzy, open playing, free of time and more song oriented.

I think that Vs. is one of the best rock drumming albums of the nineties. Ten has the more radio friendly hits but vs. is more about the drums and bass than ten IMO. Anyone seen Pearl Jam unplugged? Dave A's performance in that is astonishing he looks so relaxed but plays loads of crazy s***. I never thought that Jack Irons was that good with Pearl Jam but Matt Cameron is the King.

Last edited by a moderator:
is "abruzzese" a greek name? i met someone in greece who had a similar name.
he doesn't look greek to me. anyway he has a really nice kit which brilliant sound (the toms sound so sweet!)

matt cameron sounds intense and thunderous on the soundgarden and pearl jam albums, but since he's played at the Ballard Jazz Festival and with the Buddy Rich Big Band (as i found out on DW), i could argue he's quite jazzy and open playing, but I haven't heard him play jazz so I won't say anything.

what do you think is the rhythm section highlight on "vs"?
imo it's "wma" or "rats".

dave abbruzzese

does anyone know where I can get some dave abbruzzese videos or clips. that would be great if someone could tell me because im kind of new here.

Re: dave abbruzzese

Buy the MTV Unplugged: Pearl Jam video. I bought it..he does a great job I think. ;) I dunno' where you could find any free though.

Hello all!!!

Where is Dave Abbruzzese!!! This guy was the best thing to hit drumming in the early 90's... I'am the biggest Pearl Jam fan around and I think they've suffered greatly since he left.. got kicked out.. whatever.. I need the info.. Any one out there know??

ps: LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Thanks,

Brento

Last edited:
Re: Where is Dave Abbruzzese!!!

LOL... Thank you for the quick response.. :) Yeah but I haven't heard a thing about him recently.. No video.. No audio.. I don't understand.. this guy was every where and there is barely anything on him.. What's he doing now?? Any ideas??

I get confused which drummer played on which Pearl Jam album.

I think Dave played on the big one with Jeremy and Alive right?

I love the drumming on this.

So then I ask - is he playing today? he's great.

Love the fills at the end of some of those songs - and the sound!

JohnMunsey said:
I get confused which drummer played on which Pearl Jam album.

I think Dave played on the big one with Jeremy and Alive right?
Dave Abbruzzese played drums on the albums Vs and Vitology. Dave Krusen played on Ten (the one with Jeremy and Alive), Jack Irons played on No Code and Yield, and Matt Cameron played on Live On Two Legs, Binaural, and Riot Act.

Dave Abbruzzese also did the MTV: Unplugged show and he's in the video for Even Flow.

The last thing I heard was that he was on tour playing drums for the HairyApes.

dimosthenis said:
IMO Dave Krusen was the best drummer for Pearl Jam. He did only "Ten" with them (studio) and left straight after that for family reasons. His sound & ideas are just amazing and they seem to fit exactly to the music of this particular group. Plus he seemed to move P.J. to a music direction that they never seemed to quite catch again after his departure.

Also "Ten" is such a good album (if you are/where into this music) since every single one of the songs is great - contrary to the following albums.

It's no wonder that "Ten" has sold 12million copies (by far the top-seller) while the newest ones are selling around 500.000.

Sorry if I got a little of topic here, but I didn't see Dave Krusen anywhere in the forum and I think he's a really good drummer and for P.J. the best choice IMO ofcourse.

I think its hard to say that he is the best - u never saw him, he just recorded ten then left, i would say Dave A. would have to have been their best. I kno Matt Cameron is awesome but I think Dave A. is a better live drummer.

Krusen left the band because of what he said was "family personal reasons" at the time but later admitted that it was because of a drinking problem.

Matt chamberlain left because he was offered a place in the band critters buggin (as if you wood, have u ever heard of em?) he was in the alive video but thats it

Dave A. was fired over breakfast by Stone for reasons that are no1 really fully understands to this day.

Jack Irons quit mid-tour due to health problems

Pearl Jam now have Matt Cameron of Soundgarden

Hope that cleared it up 4 every1;)

Hi! It's my first time here. I'm from Poland and I'm a huge fan of Dave A and P.J. I think that he was the most energetic drummer of Pearl Jam. Dave Krusen was a more"filling" drummer. So it's hard to choose who was better. To this day I listen to Ten and VS every day. my favorite albums of PJ. I love Dave A's cymbals playing. It's awsome. If you want to know what's goin' on with him check this http://www.freeassociationrecords.com/ . He's a cool guy I don't like Matt Cameron... sorry peoples for me he sucks. He screws up my favorite song of P.J. JEREMY. It doesn't have THIS specific climate. Too many "potatoes" (in Poland we say POTATOES in drumming if someone plays too much on toms - you know, it sounds like someone dropped potatoes on stairs). Basicly he doesent fit to this "heavy rock" band of nineties - what P.J. was in Dave A's times. Since Matt started playing with them they started to be such an oldies band. Yeah... they have some cool stuff with him, but... sorry for what i have to like he's playing?? Summing up i want to say That my best drummers are: 1.Dave Abbruzzese, 2.Sean Kinney (A.I.C.), 3.Dave Krusen 4.Mike (PUFFY) Bordin (Faith No More)

It's very cool site... take care peoples, greetings
P.S. sorry for my english but i'm not native speaker. See ya

I freaking idolize Dave A. he is amazing and has a great style. And he was Pealr Jam's best drummer hands down. I liked Krusen's playing on Ten and Matt cameron is a good drummer as wel but I don't like how he sounds with PJ. Jack Irons just plain sucks. II love the sound Dave's Brady 12" x 7" snare sounds I would kill to have a snare that sounds like that. Thhe snare in Glorified G makes me cry I love it so much.

Back