Dave Grohl

people may disagree with me, but i consider him as one of the greats. he was one of the "the" defining grunge drummers of the late 80s and early 90s. his simple playing is what made nirvana what they are, and even now, he continues to lend his skills to bands today, like tenacious, queens of the stone age, and nine inch nails. he is one the most in-demand musicians of today.

Superlow said:
Dave is a beast. He is a very influencial rock drummer. Also I have to disagree with Rendevous drummer about him being the only good thing about Nirvana. I rather enjoy the simplicity of the guitar, bass, and lyrics of Nirvana. I think Kurt had something to say in his lyrics. Also I hate to get off topic, But The drummer Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stoneage is a pretty sick drummer. Their other albums are a lot better than the songs for the Deaf album. I find Joey Castiilo has a better pocket than Dave on alot of songs, just an observation.

I found out about the queens by the release of their third album and i immediately they blew me away, still, i got more and more in to it, from the minute i discouvered them they became my favorite band and main influence but as superflow i know it's irritating to go off topic.
So, anyway: i disagree with Superflow saying the other albums are better then songs for the deaf. The best they can get is As Good. Especialy the first album is some serious competition, but i think dave's drumming does it for their 3rd album! he brings so much power to it. To me dave is the drummer for whom i have the most respect, as he got the skills, but feels no need to show them off in every bit he plays, he knows exaclty when to and when not to...
Joey Castillo is a great drummer as well. He is a constant drummer, i like that. Bit of a shame though he only joined the band relatively recently so that he has to he has to play the rythmes queens' drummers before him added to the song. If he had found them himself they would off course fit him better, but still, he's a great support to the band.
The fact that i like dave a little better though are in the details, as in: joey always stays cool live. I respect that. But dave really let's himself go (see liveshows as on Rock Werchter 2003; 3 km from my house :p) when he plays live, he gets one with the music.
Personnaly i think if you can accomplish this - playing any instrument - it gives an extra thrill to yourself and the audience...

But that's only my vision:p

i haven't read tho whole thread, but did dave grohl drum on the first foo fighters album? i got it yesterday ( i now have all their albums :-D) and its fantastic.

yeah he ended up drumming on the first 2 albums. he plays all instruments on the first album, and the first foo's drummer left while recording the second, so grohl drummed there as well.

ewanlaing said:
yeah he ended up drumming on the first 2 albums. he plays all instruments on the first album, and the first foo's drummer left while recording the second, so grohl drummed there as well.

ah i see. thanks for that. yeah, his performance on the colour and the shape is very memorable.

I bought his Biography a few days ago while i was looking in a book store in cork the other day and i read all 250 pages of it in 5 hours. Dave Grohl is a great musician and i retract my statement when i said he was the only good thing about nirvana. I read about Kurt and Krist and man...that band was something else. the sacrifices they made is unbelievable. I have much more respect for dave grohl now after reading this book. When Nirvana ended, he continued to write music even when people ridiculed him for continuing. He's is such a great musician. very well rounded.

Dave Grohl Is probably one of my biggest influences on drums. As said before, he's not a technical drummer, but he can really understand the music and play it just right. Here's a video of a "drum solo" that Dave did with Nirvana in Argentina back in '92. It's not much of a solo, more of a fool around thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3otekHwGQ

ewanlaing said:
I'm pretty sure that both Dave and Taylor both drum on a lot of the albums. They leave it up to the listener to decide who is doing what.

I think that Dave Grohl made a brave decision of singing in Foo Fighters.. Nirvana were in heaven undtil Kurt Cobain died. Then Grohl took his chance to move on, and he proved that he is a great musician also with Foo Fighters.

If somehow Foo Fighters should die, he have proved that he can start playing in many mays at other instruments..

Johnny from the block said:
I'm reading Kurdts diaries and biography at the moment, and dude, they really, really weren't in heaven before he died.
They were not in heaven at all. Depression and rehab is not heaven.

indeed.

@ mæster: I assume you'd have figured they had a lot off succes and so they were happy... i'm not speaking for Dave nor Kris, but Kurdt couldn't cope with his succes, off course there are soo much more reasons for them not to be in heaven but I figured you meant this one (

I've been a Nirvana/Foo's fan since the bands' music first arrived in the east coast. What intrested me from the begining was that Daves style was straight forward and pretty heavy. Not as fast as Travis Barkers or as complicated as Neil Pearts yet I've heard all of these drummers were the best in the "world". All of which is fantastic but, How do you judge who is the "best" in the world? Im guessing it all depends on the style of music the drummer is playing versus who played the style before him/her. So whats cool about Dave Grohl (in my opinion)was that he was playing a style all on his own. A very first. Something people were not used to hearing plus had a very unique front man as well. What do y'all think. Anyone else feel the same or have any comments?

Dave can make any song better, and that in and of itself, is far better than being "fast" or a "technical wizard".

However, Dave has tremendous rock chops and I've even heard him pull off some very authentic reggae and ska beats with his old band Scream, for which he also played a solo... which blew my face off when I first heard it.

Somebody with that kind of timekeeping, dynamics and chops, coupled with being a talented and successful songwriter, is no wonder why he's such a star.

I met Dave once during the fist leg of the first Foo Fighters tour. He was super nice and told me to keep playing. He promised me he wouldn't stop playing the drums... so far, he's kept it.

I find Dave one of the most simplest drummers
though he was my first inspiration to play drums :)

Back