Remo Vs Evans THE FINAL SHOWDOWN!

sXeDanimalsXe

Not really.

This is something I have found and I want to know if anyone has come to a similar conclusion?
I find, using 2 ply clear batter and 1 ply clear reso heads (G2 and emperor and G1 and ambassador) from Evans and Remo respectively, the Evans have a more full tone, they just sound musical, but after a short time they sound dead and lifeless.
However Remo heads, while not sounding BAD, don't have as full a tone seem to sound new for several months.

Has anyone noticed this?
I have observed this with both my Tama starclassic performer (birch) and my Trick drums (aluminum).

Side note regardless of tom head selection I usually go with a Remo PS3 or 4 batter side kick and PS3 reso kick.

Snare drums, varies depending on the snare, live vs recording, metal vs post rock.

I have Mapex Saturns also and Remo heads are better on them. I use Vintage Emperors over regular Ambassadors.

The vintage emperors are fairly new. I think they came out sometime last year.

Back on topic, I compared some Evans Hydraulic heads to a set of Remo Pinstripes, and after about five months of usage the Remos were torn apart. They were dented so much I just replaced them with Evans Coated G2s. The Hydraulics, after two years of usage, had little to medium wear. I didn't think the durability would have outperformed the Remos, but man was I wrong. As for sound/tonal loss, the Hydraulics never gave up on me (though it was a pretty dead sound to begin with). Only after a couple of months did the Pinstripes lose almost all tone.

My kit for comparison is a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive (all birch shells)

A friend of mine, also with a Mapex I think said the same thing. However he is not great at tuning so I wasn't sure how reliable his findings were. I kind of want to try aquarian on my set, but I haven't had good luck with them in the past and I'd hate to waste the money.

I have used nothing but Aquarian for quite a few years now.

I've only had an issue with the coating of one head splitting on me. However, Aquarian promptly replaced at no charge.

They have absolutely been the best heads for me. The coating and tone lasts way longer than any other head I've used.

I have used nothing but Aquarian for quite a few years now.

I've only had an issue with the coating of one head splitting on me. However, Aquarian promptly replaced at no charge.

They have absolutely been the best heads for me. The coating and tone lasts way longer than any other head I've used.

Which head do you use for your toms? I am interested in giving them a shot again, but I hate putting on new heads and hating the sound!

Which head do you use for your toms? I am interested in giving them a shot again, but I hate putting on new heads and hating the sound!

I use the Modern Vintage or Texture Coated, both single ply heads.

I typically use the Texture Coated on the reso side as well. Although, I have tried the Classic Clears too. I just prefer the warmer sound of a coated reso.

I agree with Brady. Aquarian all the way. I tried a few Remo and Evans heads, then started on Aquarian just based on their rep. LOVE 'EM!!! Running coated response 2 on all my toms, classic clear resos. Got a much better sound from them than anything before. Also helped that I learned how to tune better. Got a set of clear Studio X coming in the mail tomorrow. Just want to see what something 1 ply will sound like compared to the 2 ply response. Also, if you're looking for a great snare head. I have tried several different Aquarian snare batters, with good results, but the Hi-energy is the best I have played yet. I currently have 5 snares with that one on.

Vintage emperors are amazing. They're what Greb should be using. ;)

I've never tried Aquarian, but I may sometime soon. They look pretty cool.

I have Mapex Saturns also and Remo heads are better on them. I use Vintage Emperors over regular Ambassadors.

I started my stave kit (which admittedly has less 'interpretation' of its sound from the drumheads, if you know what I mean- more consistent across different types) with a graduated set of Evans- G1 on the 10", G12 on the 12", and G14 on the 15" with Genera Resos on the top two and G12 reso on the 15" (all clear). I found this a really neat combo, but last week I put on clear Vintage Emperors on the 12" and 15" and found the sound much improved for my metal-ish tastes. They have more presence, more punch, and more control. I probably won't go back to the Evans stuff (though I might get coated G12s/G14s sometime since I found coated ambassadors don't work super well with the kit). I also am going to switch to Aquarian's Classic Clear resos at some point. If only they made 12 or 14mil heads, I'd probably use them primarily.

Maybe I should compare some clear Super-2s to my Vintage Emperors sometime.

I started my stave kit (which admittedly has less 'interpretation' of its sound from the drumheads, if you know what I mean- more consistent across different types) with a graduated set of Evans- G1 on the 10", G12 on the 12", and G14 on the 15" with Genera Resos on the top two and G12 reso on the 15" (all clear). I found this a really neat combo, but last week I put on clear Vintage Emperors on the 12" and 15" and found the sound much improved for my metal-ish tastes. They have more presence, more punch, and more control. I probably won't go back to the Evans stuff (though I might get coated G12s/G14s sometime since I found coated ambassadors don't work super well with the kit). I also am going to switch to Aquarian's Classic Clear resos at some point. If only they made 12 or 14mil heads, I'd probably use them primarily.

Maybe I should compare some clear Super-2s to my Vintage Emperors sometime.

I think I might try the vintage emperors. My kit is very sensitive to different heads. I really should give aquarian another shot.

G2 on toms, love them, remo on snares, been doing it for years, never had a reason to do anything elses

I have a Saturn and actually much prefer Aquarian's on it, they sound as full (if not fuller) as the Evans and sound new for months.

I have a Saturn and actually much prefer Aquarian's on it, they sound as full (if not fuller) as the Evans and sound new for months.

I'm really digging' my Vintage Emps right now on the Saturns, but I will experiment with the Aquarians soon. Which ones did you use on tops and bottoms?

Ironically enough, I have a Vintage Emp Coated on my snare and after 2 gigs the coating is already worn.. strangely not on my toms yet though.

I'm really digging' my Vintage Emps right now on the Saturns, but I will experiment with the Aquarians soon. Which ones did you use on tops and bottoms?

Ironically enough, I have a Vintage Emp Coated on my snare and after 2 gigs the coating is already worn.. strangely not on my toms yet though.

Wow that is very weird!
I use coated response 2 on my toms, hi energy on snare, superkick 2 on bass and classic clear reso all around

If you contact Remo about that, they'll most likely send you out a new head to replace the one where the coating wore off so quickly.

Generally, your snare will wear out much faster just because you play (hit) it more frequently than your other drums.

Not really.

This is something I have found and I want to know if anyone has come to a similar conclusion?
I find, using 2 ply clear batter and 1 ply clear reso heads (G2 and emperor and G1 and ambassador) from Evans and Remo respectively, the Evans have a more full tone, they just sound musical, but after a short time they sound dead and lifeless.
However Remo heads, while not sounding BAD, don't have as full a tone seem to sound new for several months.

Has anyone noticed this? .

I've been saying the same thing for twenty years. Out of the box I find very little difference, but after a couple of weeks the Evans have no tuning range left in them. Forget about the snare! I can beat all the life out of an Evans head in one session. Try this, when you take your heads out of the box tap them (holding the rim) and you will hear a note. When its change out time and you take them off your drum do the same. With Remos the note is still there, with Evans its gone, completely dead and flat. When I was a young drummer (being from a small town) I played what was available. When you get to a store and all they have in that size is Evans, well you buy it. It didn't take me long to learn that Evans were not as durable. The Emads do the same thing, sound great out of the box. Two weeks later you put it back in the box and into the recycling bin. (that last part is a bit exaggerated)

Back