My new Gurus

Grea, how did it come about that you are (mostly) through with the gigging thing? Some how I missed that little tidbit. But you are still rehearsing. I'm not following. You're rehearsing just because you like working up songs? So is it a unanimous thing? Do the rest of the Mabel's want to be done with gigging too? I can't imagine Glen not wanting to sing in public.

TWerner, my understanding is that all shells are made from single pieces of wood. No seams, no holes, oodles or resonance.

Larry, I feel gigging isn't worth all the trouble. I spent years making people dance when I didn't care for dancing myself. Later I found myself entertaining people who go to local clubs and get on the juice. Something else I don't do.

So how do I make the music I listen to and present it to people who live in my world? YouTube looks like the one.

Glenn doesn't see much logic of hauling a PA around to play at places that don't want to pay anything. You have professional responsibilities, timeliness, commitment and effort but with no professional benefits.

BTW, working on the tuning and the kit's sounding better all the time. Snare is really yummy now.

TWerner, my understanding is that all shells are made from single pieces of wood. No seams, no holes, oodles or resonance.
That's how I thought they made steam bent shells, but the figure change confused me. Must be the heart wood to sapwood, which makes me wonder how they decide what boards will bend well.
Anyway, beautiful drums, beautiful craftsmanship, glad you are enjoying them.
Todd

Im glad that you are making progress with your tuning. Have you tried any tuning devices?
They can be helpful for reference.

I agree with your views on gigging. I rarely play a club anymore. I mostly do campgrounds, fairs, private functions, festivals. I only play gigs where there is a paycheck. I do play a few charities and fundraisers each year but I limit them.
One band that I play in is a Jazz band that never gigs. We meet at my house on Monday nights and simply have fun playing standards. I enjoy that much more than any gig.

Well I mean, sure, they're decent looking drums, which probably sound okay.

But to be perfectly honest, and I don't mean to step on anybody's toes...
Those drums just don't suit you. But being the kind, charitable person I am, I would be willing to simply take the kit off your hands, whaddya say?

All kidding aside, Guru has done it again. Absolutely stunning, stunning kit. I am incredibly jealous.

One day...

And just for fun, you could switch the kick and floor by using the floor tom legs on the kick drum and the kick drum legs on the floor tom.

... One band that I play in is a Jazz band that never gigs. We meet at my house on Monday nights and simply have fun playing standards. I enjoy that much more than any gig.

That's where I'm coming from! It depends on how much you're in it for the sound and how much you're in it for the party.

Those drums just don't suit you. But being the kind, charitable person I am, I would be willing to simply take the kit off your hands, whaddya say?

Yeah, I think you're right. It's not right if the kit is superior to the player. Give me your address and I'll ship them over .........

Scotty, wake up! Wake up .....

And just for fun, you could switch the kick and floor by using the floor tom legs on the kick drum and the kick drum legs on the floor tom.

That wouldn't be fun for me, Larry. That just sounds like a pain in the neck hassle for no good reason.

;-)

Such an awesome set of drums. Very inspiring! You must love that old Drouyn a lot, cuz if I had a Guru snare, I'd be on Cloud 9.

Such an awesome set of drums. Very inspiring! You must love that old Drouyn a lot, cuz if I had a Guru snare, I'd be on Cloud 9.

Actually Bon, that's just because the Guru snare hadn't arrived at the time. The Drouyn is a fine drum and a lucky find for me back in 1975. That drum is as old as me and a quality vintage drum, but the new drum sounds better.

Andy, since you're probably reading this, does the Intense design behave the same with segmented shells?
In a word Larry - no. We call the entire new series In-Tense (including the kits to launch at LDS) so as not to go into TM overload, whereas it's only the new steam bent shells that work on the tensioned material only principal. The segmented version carries some of the woody full body focus of stave with some of the open high overtones of steam bent. It's a beautiful combination, & one I'm personally very fond of. One thing's for sure, with the new shell & ultra low mass hardware design, there's no mistaking the different inherent characteristics of each shell form :)

Beautiful. Is the 14" shell two pieces?
Yes, both the 14" & the 20" bass drum are made in two halves. This is standard practice on anything deeper than 10" (Craviotto do exactly the same). Partially to do with width of board availability, & partially to do with processing/tooling considerations. We can, & have, bent bass drums in a single piece, but separate tooling is required to do so (& across a full range of sizes that's very expensive), plus, finding boards of sufficient width in the right quality is a tough ask. We've compared one part to two part construction on larger drums, & we can't identify any difference in performance.

Yes, both the 14" & the 20" bass drum are made in two halves. This is standard practice on anything deeper than 10" (Craviotto do exactly the same). Partially to do with width of board availability, & partially to do with processing/tooling considerations. We can, & have, bent bass drums in a single piece, but separate tooling is required to do so (& across a full range of sizes that's very expensive), plus, finding boards of sufficient width in the right quality is a tough ask. We've compared one part to two part construction on larger drums, & we can't identify any difference in performance.

Wow, I didn't even notice that on the drums on the Guru website. They look like they're made from one piece of wood! I didn't even know they did it that way.

Yes, both the 14" & the 20" bass drum are made in two halves.

Thanks Andy. I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinfo, Todd.

It appears we have finally probed the limits of my encyclopaedic knowledge of drum gear ... hohoho

I know that the things are made out of wood and that they look woody and they sound woody too. That's all I know. If you like wood and woodiness generally then you'll love these drums. Kind of a shame the fittings and stands are made of metal, come to think of it :)

Thanks Andy. I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinfo, Todd.

It appears we have finally probed the limits of my encyclopaedic knowledge of drum gear ... hohoho

I know that the things are made out of wood and that they look woody and they sound woody too. That's all I know. If you like wood and woodiness generally then you'll love these drums. Kind of a shame the fittings and stands are made of metal, come to think of it :)

Remember when Ludwig was making wooden lugs during the war because they were cutting down on metal to be used in the war effort? Maybe Guru could resurrect the idea of the wooden lug again to offer complete woody-ness? What say you, Andy?

What say you, Andy?
Andy says Bo didn't comment on my playing thread ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, by the time you've put a metal insert into a wooden casing, you're already way over the mass of our existing lug design, so from a Guru perspective, it's a compromise to offer an aesthetic USP (in these post war days) - i.e. something we leave to other drum companies ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when Ludwig was making wooden lugs during the war because they were cutting down on metal to be used in the war effort?

Actually not only Ludwig. Most companies in that era did it. For me slingerland's wooden lugs looked greatest

Seriously, by the time you've put a metal insert into a wooden casing, you're already way over the mass of our existing lug design, so from a Guru perspective, it's a compromise to offer an aesthetic USP (in these post war days) - i.e. something we leave to other drum companies ;)

Sorry Andy - been busy wrapping up the year with the kiddies - throw in a couple of Mouse and Zendrum gigs and I haven't had the chance to watch anybody else this last week. I'll watch it today at work!

In November last year Bo's post on my home recording thread said it would take him some time to get through them all and asked that I be patient. Since then I've endured many sleepless nights wondering if this would be the time when Bo would finally tune into Planet Grea, but he never called. That's men for you.

In November last year Bo's post on my home recording thread said it would take him some time to get through them all and asked that I be patient. Since then I've endured many sleepless nights wondering if this would be the time when Bo would finally tune into Planet Grea, but he never called. That's men for you.

So now I'm being guilted into tuning in? Jeez..... ;)

I'm glad you also hold Bermuda to this standard as well.

WOW WOW.

Congratulations. Those are just gorgeous. How do you sleep with them in the house? What a fun thing to do also- Andy posted pics of them being made so you could follow along and now they are there to be used any time. Much better than the stories you hear about people waiting for drums from big companies and never getting any real info on the delivery dates etc..

I have to say that I cant believe you still play the RT...

Back