Yamaha DD-65 Bass Feel

unknown2u2a

Hey I'm an advanced guitarist but have been thinking about starting to play the drums.
I've been practicing without a kit so far and now I wanna buy one.

I'm thinking about either Yamaha DTX500k or DD-65.

The thing is I've been wondering about the DD-65 since it's cheaper but I saw on Youtube and other sites that the bass pedals are actually small switches that you tap with your feet in order to make the bass drum sound.

The question is does it really give you the right feel???
I mean, I won't feel totally strange when I try kicking the bass drum on an acoustic kit?

I saw some modifications made to it in order to make it a kick pedal but as I said I don't know much about playing with a drum kit....

Tell me what you think if you have any experience with it...
Thanks

I own one and you're correct about the kick control just being a plastic base with a round button you step on to trigger the kick sound, so it won't be the exact same feel as a kick pedal on an acoustic kit. It will help you develop your timing as far as coordinating all four of your limbs to land at the same time.

Also, you can purchase Yamaha's kick trigger pad and a kick pedal to use with the DD-65 to get a real feel, but by the time you add on that cost, you aren't far from the price of the full DTX kit, which will not only give you the more realistic kick feel, but a more realistic feel in general, as the pads are spread out the same as on an acoustic kit. With the DD-65, you have small pads grouped together only a couple inches apart from each other.

Hmmm... So you're saying the whole kit is doesn't actually give you much of a real feel huh?

I see...
That's why I was wondering about the DTX500k but the price difference is pretty big...

I did go to a music store and checked out the DTX500k and read/watched some reviews about it... I heard that since the hi-hat is a pad it also doesn't give you a good feel of a real hi-hat...

Oh and another advantage I see about the DD-65 which makes me wanna buy it is that you can assign the switches double bass... which is really good since I saw double bass pedals are very expensive...

Back