roland triggers compatibility?

ronyd

Silver Member
Can I assume that the roland triggers will work with Yamaha DTX500 o r700 modules?

You're probably OK with pads that have a single trigger. Pads that have two or three trigger areas - not so much. You'd have to research each one individually.

As wildbill stated, you won't have any problem with single zone (i.e., head) trigger, you might have a problem with 2nd zone trigger (i.e., rim)...however, the only dual zone trigger roland sells is for the snare, so not too big a deal...

...the reason you might have problems with 2nd/3rd zone triggering is because yamaha modules recognize a switch type trigger rather than a piezo type trigger in the 2nd/3rd zones...that being said, I have dual piezo zone RHP pads and have no problem triggering 2nd zone with my DTX900 module...so you never know..

I've got a couple PD-7 and PD-9 pads that my DTXM only recognizes the head trigger.

I've heard 3 zone cymbals are an even bigger can of worms though.

I've heard 3 zone cymbals are an even bigger can of worms though.

It's generally best to stay within the same brand when doing electronics...I've mixed and matched Roland & Yamaha e-kit products in the past with varying success...however, it's just easier to stay within a brand when using electronics...Yamaha IMO handles the three zone stuff better than anyone...

Back