decisions, decisions??

ronyd

Silver Member
I have been looking at Yamaha's DTX700 series kits, and also other alternatives as a substitute to practice quietly when I can't play on my acoustic set. But, I did not know about the Pearl's e-pro live kit. For the pricing seems very reasonable. To me it makes sense to play on a real kit, same size heads, not altering technique and feel.

So am I missing something here, is this a no brainier decision? My big question is why would you pick e-pro live kit over the vdrums (ie., roland, yamaha)?

Because the Pearl module is a joke jam packed with woeful effects and the the "Tru-Trac" heads have a crappy "spongy" feel to them IMO.
You'd be better off doing your own A2E conversion so you can use your existing A kit (if you have one).

I find it very misleading when drummers like Mike Mangini rave about it. I know he is endorsed and paid by Pearl. He says in the interview that he loves the natural feel of the heads.

I'll going down to a GC store and check them out to see for myself.

The fact that he is paid by Pearl says enough doesn't it? I'm paid by no brand at all nor am i an endorser but i've been into e-kits for a while. If you want durability and a decent sounding module without breaking the bank: go for a second hand Roland TD-4K. That is absolutely your best pick and please don't expect an e-kit to sound anything near an a-kit, cause they don't. Even if you do break the bank it still won't even beat a mid range a-kit. I've tried everything there is to try in e-kits and software and eventually went back to acoustic. Says enough right? Luckily i have neighbors that don't mind my drumming at all!

I will highly recommend the DTX700 series. But you should go to the store and try them all out.

Back