(The) Drum - She or He?

Bushmanic

I'm a little bit confused about this - why most of you guys say 'she' when you're talking about your drum set/piece? And what about females-do you say 'he/him'? :eek:

these are typical heterosexual terms of endearment
(not that everybody is ,or need be, hetero)

I have three drum kits, all of whom have female names.

I'm a happily-married female heterosexual.

Freud might have a field day, but I don't care.

I found this amusing text that kinda fits in on Drums =) :
"
The practice of referring to inanimate objects as "she" tends to concentrate in areas historically dominated by males (navies, military, locker-rooms, car-repair shops, etc.)

Objects referred to as "she" by those groups tend to have the following characteristics:

the men's lives depend on the object (i.e. if the ship sinks, they drown)
the object tends to be put into harm's way
the object is not fully understood and/or not fully under their control and therefore can be characterized as "fickle" by its users
As the objects are seen as both required for survival and likely to kill them, males tend to supersticiously think of the object as feminine. This allows them the hope that the object might be subject to cajoling and/or flattery as a means of increasing their odds of survival.
"

It's a she...

... the reason? Very simple, in French the drums is called "la batterie" which is a feminine word (the French language gives gender to things for everything).

So it feels normal to say "she" about my drums :)

Also drumsticks are "she"... as is:

- a table
- a television
- a car
- a chair
- an ice-cream
- a bar of chocolate
- a bar of music
- a quarter note
- a drumhead
- a pedal
- a bass drum
- a cymbal

... and so on :)

It's a she...

... the reason? Very simple, in French the drums is called "la batterie" which is a feminine word (the French language gives gender to things for everything).

)

just curious Henri , so is a shuffle masculine or feminine in French?

To my ears, 'flam' would seem to be very feminine.

It's a she...

QOUTE]

However id like to point out, that in german, the language English is most similar to, the word for drumset is "das Schlagzeug", das being a gender neutral way to say the, as opposed to der and die being masculine and feminine respectively.

Not trying to start a language debate, just saying

I'd rather be playing on Roxy and Clarissa than on Robert and Carl. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

My snares are female and my toms and kick are male. Don't ask.

Spanish also assigns genders to everything, drums are indeed female, la bateria. Other female nouns include house (la casa), computer (la computadora), table and chair (la mesa y la silla) and the kitchen (la cocina).

and what's a shuffle in Spanish?

I'm sorry, I simply have to ask: do you think of women's breasts as "he"?
I'm hugely curious as to why you'd want to know that, but I suspect I'll never get a truthful answer :(

Dunno. It's a drum set. Definitely an it ... a greatly loved and valued "it".
Even though I adore all the drum kits around me, I can't assign gender or names to them. They're definitely "its". A bit like a puppy litter that will soon be with new owners :(

Back