Vintage snare drums

Another great vid mate. Thanks. Yep.....that's the sound that I know and love!!

Agreed. I get sucked right into the romantacism behind vintage Ludwig.

I have a '65 400 that my old man gave me as a lad. Owning it has meant that I've never had to play on a crappy snare drum at any point in my life. I have a bunch of others now and seldom use the thing, but that snare was my first "drumming love" and the only one that I own that I'd consider irreplaceable. Its sentimental value far outweighs its monetary value to me..

I love those old Luddy snares

my only beef is the throw off they came with

always run into trouble with them

not too big on the quality of the throw

that is the problem with most Ludwig snares

great sounding instrument though

There is nothing like a supra of any blend, but the P-85 should have been retired years ago. The P-86 is much smoother and nicer and ought to now be standard fare.. A supra, depending how it is set up, can do anything a drum can be asked to do; and do it better than the rest!

There is nothing like a supra of any blend, but the P-85 should have been retired years ago. The P-86 is much smoother and nicer and ought to now be standard fare.. A supra, depending how it is set up, can do anything a drum can be asked to do; and do it better than the rest!

totally agree about the P85 and P86

the first thing I did when I got my BB was put on a P86 and cast hoops

now she is perfection

absolutely despise the P85.....garbage

Toni...another great vid,and your playing is outstanding.I have a 65 Ludwig LM 400 also and a 65 LM 404 Acrolite.Both are outstanding drums and will do anything that's asked of them.No doubt ,the Supraphonic is the most versitile snare drum ever made.

The funny thing about it is that the aluminum alloy shell(Ludalloy) was created out of a cost cutting measure on the part of Wm.F. Ludwig.Prior to the LM 400 Supra phonic,there was the Super Ludwig 400,which had a brass shell.

Ludwig at the time,(1963) just stopped using brass,started using aluminum and renamed the drum.Nobody knew it would sound so good,and go on the become,the highest selling,and most recorded snare drum of all time.Cheers

Steve B

l.

Ludwig at the time,(1963) just stopped using brass,started using aluminum and renamed the drum.Nobody knew it would sound so good,and go on the become,the highest selling,and most recorded snare drum of all time.Cheers

Steve B

Interesting story. Now, when people say "the most recorded" snare, is it the LM400 or LM402?

Interesting story. Now, when people say "the most recorded" snare, is it the LM400 or LM402?

I researched the same question a couple of years ago. I pretty much came to the conclusion that it's both. Back in the day when the Supra earned that reputation, the 400 was probably a little more widely used than the 402. So if anything, I think the official vote probably goes to the 400, but there's no doubt that in general terms when you see statements like "the Supra is the most recorded snare ever," it encompasses both. There were certainly enough 402's being used to help build the rep at any rate.

I went to guitar center today, saw a black panther and I could have sworn it said mapex ( I didn't see the black panther emblem), so I go,"is that a black beauty?" fml -_-

I would say the LM 400 because not only could you buy individual drums,but there were student kits that were available just like with the Acrolite.The LM 400 was also the standard snare drum included with most Ludwig drum set configurations in the 60's through the 70's.

If you look at drummers that used different brands of drum,there was sometimes a LM 400/402 coupled with a Slingerland,Rogers or Gretsch kit.

Steve B

I switched from a Ludwig Pioneer to a Supra in the mid 60's. At the time the Rogers
Dynasonic was a competitor but not as widely owned.

Back