Buddy Rich - Left-handed Clutch?

this was done much more back on the swing/jazz age or big band in conjunction with the pedal

I think it makes a different sound by slightly muting instead of relying and the foot to mute. He also uses the left stick to stroke the bottom of the hats while the thumb rests on top.

I think it makes a different sound by slightly muting instead of relying and the foot to mute. He also uses the left stick to stroke the bottom of the hats while the thumb rests on top.

Yes, I have seen him play the bottom hat with his stick that way, but in a lot of cases it looks as if he's opening and closing the hats with his left hand.

To me, it sounds just like what I do when I open and close my hats with my foot.

Is there a certain distinction to this method that I am apparently missing? Is this a Big Band / Jazz thing?

This second clip you posted is the reason for this thread.

Why not just open and close the hats with your foot while playing with your hand? This only involves two limbs instead of three (2 hands, 1 foot).

because you get a mute and a fine tuned control that you do not get with your foot and you get the underneath techniques shown in both videos I posted

all completely common and just another way to manipulate one of the most unique and versatile voices of the kit

this stuff goes back as far as the sock cymbal being raised into a hi hat and is a true art form

because you get a mute and a fine tuned control that you do not get with your foot and you get the underneath techniques shown in both videos I posted...

"Fine tuned control." Thanks, Tony. The way you put that makes perfect sense. I think I will play around with this. I love when hi-hats sound like that!

When the hats are open and struck the left hand is still touching and muting the bottom hat. Closing it with you hand also makes a slightly mellower sound.

Choking the hats like that was part of his style. As Tony stated, you get a different sound than closing the hats with the pedal. However, I believe, more than anything it was a part of his playing style. Like some drummers who spin sticks or flail their arms high in the air - to no benefit to their sound - part of their style.

Back