Mitch Mitchell

Re: Mitch Mitchell dead at 61.

he was one of the best RIP mitch

Mitch Mitchell and John Bonham were my two most influential drummers. They were the two I mimic's as a young drummer.

It is a sad day for the drumming community. Mitch was an inspiration to so many drummers. He was a true master of the jazz/rock scene. He kept up to Hendrix like no one else could. R.I.P Mitch.

I remember the first time I heard "Fire"! And then went crazy trying to play it. All those rolls came out so smooth for Mitch. And what a great driving pocket. He will be missed.

Re: Mitch Mitchell RIP

What a Sad Day....Another GREAT drummer gone... R.I.P. Mitch Mitchell

Re: Mitch Mitchell RIP

OW!

HUGE loss to the drumming world! Mitch Mitchell was a true talent on drums. An innovator of mammoth proportions. One of my all-time favs!

RIP, MM. :-(

Re: R.I.P.: Mitch Mitchell

What a great drummer and influence upon my playing. I used to emulate him all the time when I was younger. Truly memorable drum tracks!

A sad day, but at least he had a great life.

RIP Mitch!

Hugely sad right now, those of you who have spoken to me know how much of a Mitchell fan I am; I feel regret that I never got to meet him and say thank you for hours and hours of listening pleasure and enjoyment; and there will never ever be another drummer like him.

Still and always will be, my number 1 influence and favorite by far; the main reason I took up the drums. knowing he was still alive, I held out hope of meeting him and interviewing him, but now I lament that I never got the chance to say Hi or bye to this beautiful genius of a drummer.

Lets hope he gets his props now, because they have been long, long overdue.

A rare pic:
supergroupdirtymacFLAT.jpg

Dirty Mac Fla
t
- l to r: Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Richards

..p.s-Nice to hear from you again, Khandeliac

This is a sad day for music. 'Nuff said.

Whoa... I didn't expect this! This news is a sad revelation to those of us who were so influenced by his playing. MM was 'the man' for me, as was JH. I quit playing in highschool cuz I just couldn't see myself playing The Beach Boys any longer. And then my musical world exploded when Are You Experienced hit the streets. Wow, MM, now he had the licks that were in my head, and still are (just wish I had em' like he did). Man, what an influence he had on so many of us here! Ironic, Only recently I took the time to learn Manic Depression and Fire just because I never had. Third Stone next on the list. My first real kit is a 1968 phychedelic red 5 piece set of Ludwigs (still got em'). The very first time they were played were not by me, but instead by my cousin (he helped me set them up). Because he could, he played Fire with a big smile on his face, just to give me an idea of where I wanted to go musically. Too cool! Mitch, Rest in peace brother... Thanks for waking me up...

Bummer! The mood he set with his playing that perfectly complemented Jimi's on All Along the Watchtower was good enough for me to place him in an elite group of drummers.

Well at least Jimi's happy, i never realized how great he was because i always just listen to the great guitar playing, but he truly was incredible and had some wicked good rolls.

I read that Jim Marshall(the amp guy) was his drum teacher

Saddest news I've got in a long time this is. :( :( :( :( :(

He has been the biggest influnce for me and for many others I guess. There is no other rock drummer that used jazz techniques in such a great way. Truly a legend. You will be missed for sure. But atleast you're up in heaven with Jimi and Noel, jamming.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell.

Whoa...I just got the news myself....my Dad just told me that Mitch Mitchell died and I was like NO WAY! The last surviving member of the bad arse Hendrix legacy. I will definately do a solo for him tonight! God bless ya Mitch, you had a profound influence on many of us and for that we are grateful.

I am also sad to hear of his passing.

But I wasn't even aware he was alive or dead. For someone so influential, I never heard much about him after playing with Hendrix. I don't even see people discussing his post-Hendrix work much. It's unfortunate but why did he seem to fall off the map more or less after Hendrix? Or am I just poorly informed?

Here is someone arguably as creative and masterful as Bonham who seems to have spent the last 40 years in obscurity.

never mind....i rethought my original and it was not worth saying here.

Thanks Mitch for all that you meant to us as drummers and the scope of work you left behind for us to enjoy and devour as we learn to play

Last edited:

A sad day for music world.
RIP Mitch. You will never be forgotten.

Why was this thread started in 06? Rumors?

Anyways.. I love his drumming, huge influence, very sad.

No no, just the title was changed - RIP added - _Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back