Yamaha Nouveau Lugs

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi Drummers,

Any of you have any trouble with the Nouveau lugs? I noticed at my gig last night that one of the lugs on my copper snare had busted. The metal sleeve that is connected to the lug and the threaded tuning rod just snapped off? Yamaha is sending me a replacement so that is OK. Just curious.

Thanks

The Nuovea system is a great concept, but I feel that you may not be alone with this problem. When you buy these kits, Yamaha normally package an extra lug in with the kit. Its a nice gesture, but it does make you wonder...

The Nuovea system is a great concept, but I feel that you may not be alone with this problem. When you buy these kits, Yamaha normally package an extra lug in with the kit. Its a nice gesture, but it does make you wonder...

I should probably add, when I bought my generic kit (which is utter rubbish) I got five free tension rods. Quite funny, considering my Mapex M-Birch had only one free tension rod and that was for the bass drum.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I do worry though..the tension is about as high as it can go.
I've had my snare for about a year and a half.

Hi,
Well Yamaha was nice enough to send me out two replacement lugs. Good thing because I popped another one. I do not over tighten but I do like my snare tuned pretty high tension and until just recently had no problems with the lugs. My guess is it may be a fatigue issue?

So I call back Yamaha and they are very sensitive to my issue, they tell me they will send me out a couple of more lugs. About 10 minutes later Yamaha calls me back and asks how many lugs on the snare I tell them 10 and they tell me they are sending me 20 replacement tension rods??? They then tell me that the rods they are sending me are shorter and will not allow for over tightening...hmmm I just received the rods (fast shipping too) They also sent 4 more lugs.

I will be doing this replacement in the next couple of days while I have a couple of days off between gigs this week. I will keep you posted.

No problems with mine, tho i've heard there have been a couple of issues with forum members. When I got my kit, i was advised to keep a couple of exta plastic 'inners' which can break. incidentally they just snap out and can be easily replaced

It 'will' be a recurring problem. Its the material the lug's are made out of, the fact they are allowed to 'swivel' on their mount means alignment can/will be compromised causing failure at high tuning tension. Increased pressure on the lug means less ability to move on its mount pin. If lug not straight when it reaches this freeze point it will break.

Lube up the mounting bolts (the pin the lug mounts on) not a ton, but wet, a dab of Vaseline will work, you'll come away with a little better alignment action.

I have had no problems with mine, but I don't own a snare with those type of lugs, so the tension on them isn't really that tight. I'm glad they are sensitive to your plight, but it still sucks that it is happening. Les's advice sounds reasonable, but you would think that they would be a bit tougher. The only problem I ever had with Yamaha hardware was the mouting ball clamp for toms. If you tighten the top wing screw down real tight, the top half will pull away from the bottom and the screws that hold it together become stripped. I just did that with mine, but I probably cranked it down too tight. It holds just fine with alot less tension. Anyway, I digress......

Just registered ! I have nightmares with these plastic lugs! I bought my kit second hand a couple of months ago... The man, who sold them to me, told me he had twice broken lugs on the snare and had no more additional... I tuned the snare high, really nice sound... I did this a month ago... and a couple of nights ago, I had a nightmare that all lugs are busted... :( The next day I went to my rehearsal room and found out that one of the lugs was broken again! Stupid architecture! I took from my tom one and put it.... Now I have a tom less in my kit. I'll look for lugs here in Bulgaria... hope to find, otherwise, I'll have to buy a new snare... So, I got broken 3 of them... There will be more to come broken, I guess. Help!

I don't like them. I have one snare with them. I won't buy another. Pain in the butt!

I've had my MCA nouveau for approx. 4 yrs....have had no issues with the lugs....in fact I persoanlly like the lugs...although I see that Yamaha has replaced the nouveau with the newer nouveau "hook" lug (which addresses the alignment issues)....

No problems 3 years later with me. I also think it's a great looking lug.

They do make finger tightening difficult when you're trying to begin tuning. Personally I don't think they really end up saving you any time. I guess I'm pretty neutral all in all. If a lug breaks that may change.

I too haven't had any problems with them in the over two years that I've had my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes. As mentioned just below, it is a bit difficult to finger tighten the tension rods but I got around that by using an Evans Torque key set to a very low tension. I'm able to get the rods to stop at the very edge of the rims, just as if you're finger tightening them. From there I just use the standard drum key and tune as usual. If any of my Nouveau lugs give me any problems in te future, I'll have a very different song to sing, lol.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Dennis

I too haven't had any problems with them in the over two years that I've had my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes. As mentioned just below, it is a bit difficult to finger tighten the tension rods but I got around that by using an Evans Torque key set to a very low tension. I'm able to get the rods to stop at the very edge of the rims, just as if you're finger tightening them. From there I just use the standard drum key and tune as usual. If any of my Nouveau lugs give me any problems in te future, I'll have a very different song to sing, lol.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Dennis

I just have to butt in and say that, that kit is gorgeous!

Back