CHEAP cad mics ($140 for7)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Just recorded this as a sound check for later.. wasn't so much worried about my playing as hearing the toms snare and kick ( This was piss poor.. i had no room cramped in that corner. haha)

These are 60 premier vintage drums with coated skins. the cymbals are vintage too so they sound like it. I'll be using newer cymbals when i record for real.

either way.. this is as good as I'll get for sound with a $100 set of mics.

other equipment was a focusrite saffirepro 40 into an old mac laptop using reaper.

Oh and a contour for video mounted to a stand on my pearl masters kit.

next to no eq/compression/verb and all that stuff ....... just gated everything. and a small eq to clean it up a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGuJyRatGo&feature=youtu.be

I really hate the low end CAD mics, but the sound you got isn't half bad.

You could probably get a better sound if you play around with placement, EQ, and compression, though.

I just switched from Cubase to Studio One as my primary recording program. Some would say that's a huge downgrade, but I like it so much more. Studio One comes with great stock plugins, and it's so easy to use. It's much more stable on my computer, and it will share my interface with other programs, unlike any other recording program I've used.

I would love a nice set of audix or something. but I just cant afford it... these were the cheapest mics for 7 I could afford that didn't suck TOOOO much

if anything it makes you better at mixing trying to play with the sound... a good set of mics needs less so I will appreciate it more too.

also. for all I do which is a few youtube covers and hobby stuff they work great... I just spent the money on my module (saffire pro 40) so I can upgrade as i need

I would love a nice set of audix or something. but I just cant afford it... these were the cheapest mics for 7 I could afford that didn't suck TOOOO much

if anything it makes you better at mixing trying to play with the sound... a good set of mics needs less so I will appreciate it more too.

also. for all I do which is a few youtube covers and hobby stuff they work great... I just spent the money on my module (saffire pro 40) so I can upgrade as i need

I used to use the CAD Pro mics, as well. Be careful with the snare mic. Mine blew after a couple of months of moderate use. The tom mics followed. I think the only one that still worked properly by the end of it was the kick drum mic.

I'd like to hope that they've made a revision to that since the models I had about five years ago.

This is WAY better

I used my regular drum kit
the coated heads were killing me on the other kit trying to get them to sound as good as they do live.
evens ec2's on the pearl's in this vid
overheads much lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5C4J_f2I1s

So far they have held out fine.. I don't use em often but they seem to be pretty solid

Back