Taking back your gigs

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Morning gang,

I'm not associated with any band at the moment but dep with as many as possible and with one band have had plenty of work of them over the ast few months and in the months coming up.

I have had a selection of dates in the diary since February and if you are like me that means they are in the diary and if anything else comes in you can't do it.
I got a message from the drummer i am covering asking if he could take back his gigs on this coming weekend and I'm not sure what to do.

He has said i can have a different weekend next month as a replacement but I really need that money that I had budgeted in to pay rent and eat!!! (this month has been an expensive one!)

My main issue is the last minute nature of it and that I have turned down other work as I had these dates in the diary.

I know this is against all the unwritten rules and if I had turned round at short notice and said I am not doing the gig anymore they'd be pissed as well but I'm in a position of not being able to give up the gigs as I need the money but not wznting to annoy both the drummer and band leader at the risk of losing the other work I have in the diary at the moment.

What is the groups opinions on this and also how would you approach it.

Dave

Thanks guys. Already chatted to the other drummer explaining that i need the money and I'd appreciate if I could do these....he came back and said he'd appreciate it if i could swap and that he has given me loads of work already.

Implying I should be grateful and just do it.

It's a tricky situation and hopefully will resolve itself.

D

Maybe this is an idea ( a crazy one but...)

Let him have the gig but he pays you his cut, and you pay him when you do the replacement gig next month?

Maybe this is an idea ( a crazy one but...)

Let him have the gig but he pays you his cut, and you pay him when you do the replacement gig next month?

Good shout, he wants to do the gig for whatever reason and you need the cash!

He is being a bit unfair because you may have turned down other gigs. However, if you push too hard you may be released. Can you speak to the band leader?

Davo

Be honest with him, and the band. Let them all know that you need the money and that you have turned work down to keep the promise you made to dep.

If the other guy had given you more notice you may have been able to fill the gaps in the diary. As it is he has left it too late so I for one dont see why you should suffer. If they are paying you its a pro contract, its not like they are doing you a favor by letting you play, they are paying cos they need you.

Good shout, he wants to do the gig for whatever reason and you need the cash!

He is being a bit unfair because you may have turned down other gigs. However, if you push too hard you may be released. Can you speak to the band leader?

Davo

Hey Davo, yeah that's the tricky situation. I have spoken to the leader and he said he would do a group message on FB and sort it out.

Does anyone else think it's not cool to ask for your gigs back though? If the gigs are cancelled then that's annoying but it happens but to say oh I'm available and I'd like them back that to me feel a bit wrong. I'm not sure I would ever do that. No matter how desperate I was for the cash.

D

I certainly wouldn't do it. In a professional context, I'd assume that I'd be taking away work that you've already given to somebody that they have already accounted for, even if it's just an extra takeaway that month - it all adds up.

Something like a publicly viewable Google calendar that only you can update might be an idea for potential clients. It would make booking a lot easier for you.

have you spent time on preparations for this gig ?

are the gigs you tuned down still available ?

I feel for you brother... I really do

my heart is telling me that you need to give him his gigs back Dave .... while letting him know in a non aggressive way that this situation is very unprofessional

I am a believer in Karma .... it has proven too many times in my life to exists for me not to be

a wise man once told me.... when dealing with people in business, always treat everyone as a gentleman....not because they are ... but because YOU are

keep me posted brother

I certainly wouldn't do it. In a professional context, I'd assume that I'd be taking away work that you've already given to somebody that they have already accounted for, even if it's just an extra takeaway that month - it all adds up.

Something like a publicly viewable Google calendar that only you can update might be an idea for potential clients. It would make booking a lot easier for you.

I like that idea. I'll look into it mate.

Yeah it all adds.

D

Beings he has already given you loads of work...And you want to continue to keep getting more from him, in a way, he's an employer of yours. If you stand your ground you may win the battle but lose the war.

How would you feel if you had to take YOUR gigs back, and someone didn't want to give them back. You may feel they are ungrateful...possibly. The hardest thing to do is usually the best thing to do, so I vote for giving them back graciously, like Tony described.

have you spent time on preparations for this gig ?

are the gigs you tuned down still available ?

I feel for you brother... I really do

my heart is telling me that you need to give him his gigs back Dave .... while letting him know in a non aggressive way that this situation is very unprofessional

I am a believer in Karma .... it has proven too many times in my life to exists for me not to be

a wise man once told me.... when dealing with people in business, always treat everyone as a gentleman....not because they are ... but because YOU are

keep me posted brother

Hey Tony, yeah i'm with you.

Gigs are all gone. Turned em down a few months ago....which is unfortunate.

I believe in Karma and I in all reality am not missin out on money as i'd have those 2 gigs just 3 weeks later. It's just needing the cash now.

Karma should work itself out. Hopefully.

As a very experienced gigger has this happened to you Tony?

D

Hey Tony, yeah i'm with you.

Gigs are all gone. Turned em down a few months ago....which is unfortunate.

I believe in Karma and I in all reality am not missin out on money as i'd have those 2 gigs just 3 weeks later. It's just needing the cash now.

Karma should work itself out. Hopefully.

As a very experienced gigger has this happened to you Tony?

D

in all my years has never happened

I have been subbing on gigs and had the drummer I was subbing for show up at the gig because his plans or alternate gig fell through..... but never had anyone ask for the gig back

highly unprofessional

Beings he has already given you loads of work...And you want to continue to keep getting more from him, in a way, he's an employer of yours. If you stand your ground you may win the battle but lose the war.

How would you feel if you had to take YOUR gigs back, and someone didn't want to give them back. You may feel they are ungrateful...possibly. The hardest thing to do is usually the best thing to do, so I vote for giving them back graciously, like Tony described.

I understand that Larry. I'd never take a gig back of someone though especially at 5 days notice.

Even if I had a 9-5 job and the gigs were extra cash in my pocket I'd honour the agreement I made with the guy i hired.

D

Agreed.

It sucks and it speaks volumes about this guy.....but ultimately, it's his gig. You're the hired gun and unfortunately, they just don't need you at the agreed time after all. Yes, he's being unprofessional, but you'd definitely stand to lose more in the long run if you insisted on keeping it. You're better off preserving your reputation by being professional, agreeable, adaptable and easy to work with (all the things he ain't being in this scenario), even if it means being put out on this occasion.

Does anyone else think it's not cool to ask for your gigs back though? If the gigs are cancelled then that's annoying but it happens but to say oh I'm available and I'd like them back that to me feel a bit wrong.

You're right, people should honor their commitments. But you mentioned "unwritten rules" and that's also true. There's no way to enforce someone at their word in this case. FWIW, offering another gig to make-up for this one indicates that he's trying to be fair, so his actions aren't malicious, they're just a detriment at this particular time.

I think the best you can do is roll with it, hang in there on the money, and hope it doesn't become a habit with him.

I had a gig pulled out of my mouth at the last minute, by a band I was subbing with for the first time. I was offered another in its place at substantially less money (but substantially closer to home, so it was really a wash for me.) By being agreeable to the swap, I made a friend and will work with him again.

Bermuda

Some very sage advice given in this thread. The situation sucks but I suppose to keep things sweet you have to cave in. Lessons to be learned for all of us...

Hey gents, thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated from everyone.

I have messaged the guy and as delicately as i could explained my situation and offered a compromise. I do one you do one or I do one next week (the band has 3 gigs next weekend)

I will see what he says.

As a side note. I have been through the situation of gigs falling through lots and it always seems to happen all at the same time and it always seems that when things are crap all of a sudden loads of other stuff comes through.

The finances will work themselves out. The amount of gigs I have in the summer. (i am out every weekend In july and august...at least once if not more) will take care of that So that's cool it's just the next couple of weeks is all.

Times like these do make you stronger and I am depping with loads of bands in order to spread myself a little wider and make the dead spots in the diary less frequent.

Much love ya'll

D

I would never ask to 'take a gig back' no matter what the circumstances...

BUT, if I was in your shoes subbing for a band and their regular guy (for whatever reason) was available and wanted to do the gig - I'd let it go and probably not think twice about it...

*** As long as it wasn't the night of the gig and we both show up to play!! Yes, I've had that happen as well... AWKWARD

Back