die cast hoops

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Does it really matter if a die-cast hoop is made for a snare or a tom...?

The hoops will fit the tom batter and reso sides and a snare batter side .....the snare side will need to have the sections cut out for the snare wires though.

The hoops will fit the tom batter and reso sides and a snare batter side .....the snare side will need to have the sections cut out for the snare wires though.

What's the sound difference between die cast and flanged hoops on the toms?

Does it really matter if a die-cast hoop is made for a snare or a tom...?
I've used 2.3's, die cast, and Ayotte and Yamaha type wood hoops on snare drums and own a kit with die casts. The 2.3's are warmer and have better resonance than die casts, but they have a wimpy rim click/shot and they get detuned easier. Because die casts are solid heavy chunks of zinc, they are super rigid and can sound in tune with a few loose lugs, but damage the tone of the drum. The rim clicks/shots are out of this world though, so for me, the die casts are a better choice. Still, wood hoops are my definite favorites. They have the incredible rim click/shot sound of die casts, but better, and are even more resonant than flanged hoops. The Ayotte ones are great, but impractical. The Yamaha type hoops work just as well, is easier to replace, and costs less. I've been using the same pair of Gibraltar hoops on my main snare for over a year and they're in near-perfect condition. Even with the amount of rimshots I play, they're almost dent free and haven't chipped at all.

Back