Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Over time I've read this entire thread and can only thank you for taking the time to share your advice, insight and inspiration. You are a great inspiration to me here on the cloudy old Isle of Man.

I'm looking forward to finally getting to seeing you live when PT hit the road again.

I have a quick question for you regarding your recent sessions in Italy:

You mentioned you were recording in Milan and I was wondering about the logistics of session recording in other countries. Did you take all of your own gear to the session or was a kit sourced locally, how many of the 'essentials' did you have to transport?

Really looking forward to the new GH/o5Ric release. Thanks again for the huge amounts of inspiration.

/Off topic: Who do you fancy for the F1 title this year? Testing has so far been so close I have no idea. Although the Red Bull is a fantastic looking car I don't think they can keep up with the development pace for the season, I hope Mark Webber can finally get a win with it thought.

Cheers,
Rocklord

Last edited:
I might have to try that, cause I try all I can but still have some buzz from playing the toms.

I cut my 18 strand snare down to 8 and received some really bad vibrations from the snare while playing the snare drum. Then I bought a 10 strand Yamaha Snare (5 x 2 wires), bad vibrations again. Recently I changed to a 20 strand puresound snare. The bad vibrations are gone. But since my first cut down, I'm struggling with my snaredrum sound, because I also changed the drumheads. Think twice before messing around with your snaredrum. It could end in a nightmare.

Hey Gavin....

Saw this new device from Wackmaster to lift up the bottom hihat by turning a device installed on the ...

http://www.wackmasterdrums.com/Products.html

Looks like it works...but its kinda hard turning the knob around when you hold a stick...
So probably not ideally to adjust while playing...

Another thing was the Kickport...a device to put in your bassdrum to get more low end....

http://futurepercussionconcepts.com/kickport.html

Tell me what do you think of it....I know you probably havent tried them yourself but just your first opinion...

Do you ever try out new things..just out of curiosity?

Take care,
Dre

I plan on taking a trip to London and attempting to meet you and Steven Wilson, I'll sleep on the ground if i have to I'm just a teenager from New York who is in love with your band. I have no idea where to look or where to even go....but I'll find my way.

Ah man, I thought he did. Anyway, I have a pop quiz....when did you say this?

"You know, some people get scared of going on stage. It's the anticipation of something that's going happen. something bad is going to happen to you, its going to go wrong. When their on there, their okay, its just the build up to it. You know, leading up to what they think is going to be a really bad experience. very strange thing"

He said it here (also found on the DVD-A of deadwing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7z8dPhOG8

I cut my 18 strand snare down to 8 and received some really bad vibrations from the snare while playing the snare drum. Then I bought a 10 strand Yamaha Snare (5 x 2 wires), bad vibrations again. Recently I changed to a 20 strand puresound snare. The bad vibrations are gone. But since my first cut down, I'm struggling with my snaredrum sound, because I also changed the drumheads. Think twice before messing around with your snaredrum. It could end in a nightmare.

Thanks for sharing. I might have to try some puresound strands, they seem very good from what people say and are telling me.

Gavin- Any plans to come to the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area in September?

Hi, Gavin.

I just wondered whether you'd heard the album Half Way home by the DeeExpus project?

I particularly wondered as there's a track on there PTtee which is about Andy Ditchfield's epiphany moment after apparently thinking about jacking it all in, before being blown away at one of your shows on the FOABP tour.

I also have wondered a number of times whether you and/or the rest of the band sometimes think that Stevens lyrical themes are, well, a bit dark and every now and again yearn for something a bit brighter?

And where do you stand on Stevens Ipod-a-phobia?

Hi Rocklord

You mentioned you were recording in Milan and I was wondering about the logistics of session recording in other countries. Did you take all of your own gear to the session or was a kit sourced locally, how many of the 'essentials' did you have to transport?

I contact the Sonor artist rep in Italy and he lays on a kit for me with the Remo heads on that I require. He has it delivered to the studio and set up for when I arrive. I take with me a flight case full of cymbals, a flight case with a snare drum in it and my bass drum pedals. Plus I take some sticks/brushes/mallets and my little bell cymbals holder in my suite case. That usually attracts some excess baggage charge.

/Off topic: Who do you fancy for the F1 title this year?

It's got to be Lewis again.

Hi Drizzle

Saw this new device from Wackmaster to lift up the bottom hihat by turning a device installed on the ...http://www.wackmasterdrums.com/Products.html

Yes, it looks interesting although perhaps not as easy to use as the Tama cobra Clutch.

Another thing was the Kickport...a device to put in your bassdrum to get more low end....Do you ever try out new things..just out of curiosity?

Funny you should mention it - I ordered it 2 weeks ago and I'm expecting it any moment now. I'll always be curious about new gear - and I buy quite a few little things like this hoping they will improve the sound or provide an easier way to play.

Hi gibeachhead

I might have to try some puresound strands, they seem very good from what people say and are telling me. Gavin- Any plans to come to the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area in September?

Puresound snare are easily the best I've ever tried. I haven't seen any proposals for a Washington date yet.

Hi gapwedge

I just wondered whether you'd heard the album Half Way home by the DeeExpus project?

No I haven't heard it.

I also have wondered a number of times whether you and/or the rest of the band sometimes think that Stevens lyrical themes are, well, a bit dark and every now and again yearn for something a bit brighter?

I like dark lyrics.

And where do you stand on Stevens Ipod-a-phobia?

The rest of us (band and crew) all have iPods and enjoy them whilst on tour. Steven is on his own with that one.

cheers
Gavin

Hi mr. Harrison, I have a few quick questions if you don't mind.

Is the DVD for the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 already out and where could it be purchased?

Secondly, my friend wanted to know what you think about the latin jazz drummer Horacio Hernandez, if you have any comments or anything. And have you yourself played similar stuff?

Thanks again for taking the time from your busy schedule to answer our questions!

Hi Gavin! Hope you are doing good with your current projects (PT, 05ric), I cant wait to hear more of your awesome and inspiring drumming.

As I wrote a couple of months earlier I've been thinking of buying a kit pretty soon (hopefully). Well I've realized that going for a Sonor kit maybe is a bit unrealistic. And my dad has found some toms in a junkroom next to a recording studio. They seem to be quite homemade and I don't know what kind of wood it is. But I thought maybe they would sound okay or even good if I bought some nice remo heads and used them. And the went for a nice snare and bass-drum and good symbals. Well what kind of snare and bass-drum would you recommend for someone who likes your sound. I mean, what type of wood? Is a 14x5 maple snaredrum a wise choise for someone who liked clear, light punchy sound? I personaly think that going for a nice Snare, Bass, Hi-Hat, Ride and Crash combo and then subsequently going for better toms sound like a good starting point for a good kit. Do you agree?

I also wonderd if you have listened to Esbjörn Svenson Trio and if you like the drummer Magnus Öström who plays with them? If you haven't heard them I really would recommend listening to their album God Morning Susie Soho. Great Music.

Sorry for my bad english and wierd sentences. I'm swedish so... Hope you understand it at least a little bit anyway.

Just wanted to share a brain teaser of an exercise based on Gavin's Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

I had worked through most of the lessons on this DVD awhile ago and hadn't watched it in some time, but I'm working with a drum teacher who is very insistent on counting out loud while practicing and sight reading. So I decided to revisit this DVD with that in mind, and to count out loud over all the overriding exercises. It's simple enough with the 8th note, quarter note, and open hi-hat accent overrides, but when it comes to the dotted 8th note overrides it gets really tricky. You really have to get inside that 3/16ths feel and understand it. Even just tapping your hi-hat foot in the original 5/8 or 7/8 time signature is really a challenge while playing the dotted 8ths on the ride.

So if you're looking for a challenge try this. I think it really helps maintain a solid feel while playing weird overrides to keep counting in the original time signature.

I recently saw a Gavin Harrison performance on youtube and he was a playing to a tune that was very similar to an old Modern Drummer sound supplement by Jeff Porcaro. Gavin titled it Slippin Away. Sound supplements were vinyl recordings smaller than the old 45's. Jeff's piece showcased his Paiste cymbals. Can anyone here chime in to confirm? Below is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s

Gavin just saw one of your clips where you are explaing odd time between hands and feet and are only using one hand.AMAZING.This is what I like to see at clinics break downs, demonstrations, and application
IMHO you put a lot of drummers with gargantuon kits to shame with only one hand
Tim

Hi jez-

Is the DVD for the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 already out and where could it be purchased?

No it hasn't been released yet - I'm expecting it to come out sometime in the next 3 months.

Secondly, my friend wanted to know what you think about the latin jazz drummer Horacio Hernandez, if you have any comments or anything. And have you yourself played similar stuff?

Horacio is an amazing drummer - I saw him make a clinic in London many years ago and I was very impressed. I don't get asked much to play Latin - although I can - it's best left to people like Horacio who grew up with it and have it in their blood.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

my dad has found some toms in a junkroom next to a recording studio. They seem to be quite homemade and I don't know what kind of wood it is. But I thought maybe they would sound okay or even good if I bought some nice remo heads and used them. And the went for a nice snare and bass-drum and good symbals. Well what kind of snare and bass-drum would you recommend for someone who likes your sound. I mean, what type of wood? Is a 14x5 maple snaredrum a wise choise for someone who liked clear, light punchy sound? I personaly think that going for a nice Snare, Bass, Hi-Hat, Ride and Crash combo and then subsequently going for better toms sound like a good starting point for a good kit. Do you agree?

Yes maple is always a safe bet when it comes to drum wood. 14x5 is my favorite size of snare drum. I would advise getting good cymbals. If the cymbals are not good - there's nothing that can be done with them - whereas drums can be altered. New Remo heads may help the sound of those toms and you can improve the sound of drums with different head combinations.

I also wonderd if you have listened to Esbjörn Svenson Trio and if you like the drummer Magnus Öström who plays with them? If you haven't heard them I really would recommend listening to their album God Morning Susie Soho. Great Music.

Yes I know E.S.T and really enjoyed the "Live In Stockholm" DVD. I was very saddened to hear that Esbjörn had died recently.

Hi Tim Waterson

Gavin just saw one of your clips where you are explaing odd time between hands and feet and are only using one hand.AMAZING.This is what I like to see at clinics break downs, demonstrations, and application IMHO you put a lot of drummers with gargantuon kits to shame with only one hand

thanks for the kind words - I had a good time at that PASIC clinic.

cheers
Gavin

I recently saw a Gavin Harrison performance on youtube and he was a playing to a tune that was very similar to an old Modern Drummer sound supplement by Jeff Porcaro. Gavin titled it Slippin Away. Sound supplements were vinyl recordings smaller than the old 45's. Jeff's piece showcased his Paiste cymbals. Can anyone here chime in to confirm? Below is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s

Ya know? He(Gavin) has his own thread here on Drummerworld, and he would be more than happy to answer that himself, I'm sure.

If you can't find it, do a search and just type Gavin Harrison. As a matter of fact, he's just answered someone else's question VERY recently.

Peace.

It says in the info for the video that the tune was written by David Paich, which is (was) Toto's keyboard player, so it's not a big stretch to assume Jeff Porcaro has played on that track at some point.

Hi all,

I'm currently working on transcribing the 'breakdown' in Cheating the Polygraph [2:08 - 2:38]. Has anyone else has taken this up?

Been paying a lot of attention to FOABP and Nil Recurring lately; pretty brilliant work.

Happy drumming!

Let's see... how long did that take... my brain hurts.

Here are a couple versions of my initial analysis/transcription!

pdf document, 600dpi, 7/4 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/GavinHarisson-CheatingthePolygraph.pdf

pdf document, 72dpi, 7/4 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/GavinHarisson-CheatingthePolygraph72dpi.pdf

pdf document, 600dpi, 7/8 interpretation (hard to read man!)
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/GavinHarisson-CheatingthePolygraph32s.pdf

pdf document, 72dpi, 7/8 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/GavinHarisson-CheatingthePolygraph32s72dpi.pdf

I didn't really treat the ghost notes since it's all pretty light playing; rather, I marked the accented snares. The 'dome' cymbals and some of the tom work is a little ambiguous in tonality but the rhythm is there.

Would love to hear anyones thought's/corrections :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - for anyone who may be interested - here's a sneak preview of the first half of my new record with 05Ric. I'm really happy with it and will post some stuff here at Drummerworld when it's available.

www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric

cheers
Gavin

Great stuff, absolutely great! So energetic and profound. There's a part from the preview which is playing in my head over and over. Can't wait for the final release!

Hi mr. Harrison,

I have few questions

You have great timing and groove... Do you have any advice how to develop that ?

Secondly, is it better to be able to play any style or really focus on one style ?

And the last one.. Do you have any favourite books you would recommend ?

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

Thank you.
Roman

Back