So it's my turn to have a band quandry..

I'm in an original band and my situation is very similar. What I like about what we do is that we are essentially self sustaining. I don't make any money from gigs, it goes back to the band, but it doesn't cost me money to go to a real recording studio or buy new t-shirts, etc. We make enough to do all that stuff.

It does cost me gas and tolls, etc to get to gigs and of course heads and drum up keep. But I can deal with that.

Thanks marko. Yea, I can't complain too hard in the same regarding money in/out.. I haven't had to help front many 'band expenditures' out of pocket except my own gas/tolls/drink money. We have the band fund too.

The overall frustration still lies within but I think sticking it out for a little while longer will confirm any doubts. It has been really nice to read everyone's experiences so far.

Thanks marko. Yea, I can't complain too hard in the same regarding money in/out.. I haven't had to help front many 'band expenditures' out of pocket except my own gas/tolls/drink money. We have the band fund too.

The overall frustration still lies within but I think sticking it out for a little while longer will confirm any doubts. It has been really nice to read everyone's experiences so far.

Original bands are hard damn work.

I have no experience or wisdom at all but after reading loads of ads were people looking for drummers. I have come across a few bands that already making it more or less, at least getting paid gigs. Even auditioned for a couple of them even though I'm not really good enough yet. I can play the songs but just not nailing them quick enough to hit the road in 3 weeks.

My own strategy is this:
1. Study and practice the drums in a variety of styles etc.
2. Get a lot of experience playing with others.

After that I will start looking for bands that are already making it more or less and I will also put up ads + have my own website for session work. Off course I will need some studio experience as well before I start charging people but after taking lessons with experienced session drummers and recorded a bit for free with others I think it's do-able.

Something that I thought of.. maybe you are in the wrong town? Maybe consider to move where there is a hotter scene? L.A? London? I know you got your job but if you wanna turn pro as you say this might be something to consider. I'm sure you will find new originals bands that might make it and a cover band with some paid gigs if you move to a scene that's hot.

What would you do if you made it with band O? Quit your job to hit the road? If you gonna quit your job just because you seem to make it then I would quit right now if I were you and move to a hotter scene.

There is no guarantees you will make money for life just because you get a signed deal. Might be enough to live on for a few years when your band is hot, but it seems to me that a few bands stays hot and together for over 5 years.

/I don't really have a clue or experience of what I'm talking about but it's the picture I've got after reading up on it.

If the original music band makes music you love, and is gaining new fans, and selling more music each year, then keep at it. If you're playing for the same few people gig after gig, just play fewer and better gigs, or just record some great videos of the band performing and try to generate interest online.

Forget about record companies. That would be the start of a whole new set of problems. These days you have to be prepared to do it on your own, and be ready to die for your music. If you don't think your band is incredible and has something special going on, give it up and move on.

Five years is a long time. If you're really questioning it at this point, my advice is to try something else (as far as original music). Maybe new band members, maybe a new band, maybe just take a break for a few months.

I have no experience or wisdom at all but after reading loads of ads were people looking for drummers. I have come across a few bands that already making it more or less, at least getting paid gigs. Even auditioned for a couple of them even though I'm not really good enough yet. I can play the songs but just not nailing them quick enough to hit the road in 3 weeks.

My own strategy is this:
1. Study and practice the drums in a variety of styles etc.
2. Get a lot of experience playing with others.

After that I will start looking for bands that are already making it more or less and I will also put up ads + have my own website for session work. Off course I will need some studio experience as well before I start charging people but after taking lessons with experienced session drummers and recorded a bit for free with others I think it's do-able.

Something that I thought of.. maybe you are in the wrong town? Maybe consider to move where there is a hotter scene? L.A? London? I know you got your job but if you wanna turn pro as you say this might be something to consider. I'm sure you will find new originals bands that might make it and a cover band with some paid gigs if you move to a scene that's hot.

What would you do if you made it with band O? Quit your job to hit the road? If you gonna quit your job just because you seem to make it then I would quit right now if I were you and move to a hotter scene.

There is no guarantees you will make money for life just because you get a signed deal. Might be enough to live on for a few years when your band is hot, but it seems to me that a few bands stays hot and together for over 5 years.

/I don't really have a clue or experience of what I'm talking about but it's the picture I've got after reading up on it.

How can someone just 'quit work' ?

This is the part I get really confused about.

How do they then get around, pay for food, pay for accommodation ?

I've read this 'quit work' a couple of times on this messageboard and it genuinely intrigues me.

I accept if you have a pile of savings then yeah it's do-able but, just "I quit....I'm off playing drums".

Surely the natural way of things is.....start earning serious money through ones art....quit work.

Quit work then look to start earning serious money through ones art is fantasy stuff. You'd have to be clinically insane to do that.

How can someone just 'quit work' ?

This is the part I get really confused about.

How do they then get around, pay for food, pay for accommodation ?

I've read this 'quit work' a couple of times on this messageboard and it genuinely intrigues me.

I accept if you have a pile of savings then yeah it's do-able but, just "I quit....I'm off playing drums".

Surely the natural way of things is.....start earning serious money through ones art....quit work.

Quit work then look to start earning serious money through ones art is fantasy stuff. You'd have to be clinically insane to do that.

When I got out of college I made a go of playing the drums for a living. I didn't have a job or transportation or really even a place to live. I basically lived in the bands rehersal space which was a 10X10 storage unit with no electricty, or on people couches. I really lived hand to mouth for a couple of years and really owned nothing but my drum set. It is possible, but I dont recommend it.

I've thought about moving away to the other coast, or Nashville, or "hotter" music scenes but with certain obligations in my life not to mention a really nice run so far with Band C, I'll stick it out for some time longer. NYC can provide a wealth of opportunity, it's just harder to get them b/c of the concentration of people. I have ambition, but I will admit I need more of it and to act on it swiftly. That's something only I can work out for myself :)

I wouldn't flat out quit my job unless I was guaranteed compensation in more or less a formal contract. In addition, I'd actually try to work out something with my existing job so that I could Consult on the side (I work in IT, the stuff I do I can do from anywhere) and keep earning a steady income of some sort. I've actually though out the money sustaining part pretty well.

The "fewer and better" gigs is where Band is O is aiming. Coincidentally, we are opening up for one of the finalists from season 1 of The Voice next week, so things are looking better for us (and me!).

Back