Was There A Canadian Sound In The 70's?

Canadian music in the 70's to me meant Rush, Max Webster, Triumph, and The Guess Who. Like DrumEatDrum, I'm not sure if the similarities were more related to nationality or simply the times.

Interesting idea...

Canada sounded like america only with a funny accent and weird use of the word "eh" in the 70s just as today. It's why we call them "America Jr.".

Canadian music in the 70's to me meant Rush, Max Webster, Triumph, and The Guess Who. Like DrumEatDrum, I'm not sure if the similarities were more related to nationality or simply the times.

Interesting idea...

Some of my fave bands! Love Triumph, Rush and good ole Kim Mitchell of Max Webster. Love the song Check from the Universal Juveniles album (which I have the cd). And the song Battle Scar from that album also has a guest appearance from none other than Getty Lee. Man the 70's rocked!!!

Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot...Chilliwack...Toronto....

What no love for Bachman /Turner Overdrive ?

Most of the "Band" were Canadian except for Levon Helm

The Guess Who were huge with lots of top 40 hits.

Burton Cummings as a solo act was pretty big..eh?

How about Neil Young.....huge rocker

Steppenwolf...mostly Canadian

Joni Mitchell...not a rocker,but still famous

Bryan Addams....tore up the charts with a few..eh?

Steve B

Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" probably the best song of the 70s from a Canadian ....

Burton Cummings also "stood tall" on his own for awhile too. Great music.

Though I've thought that Triumph's power trio thing was a failed attempt to cash in on the other guys.

p.s. And don't forget the mighty Gordon Lightfoot who has #2 best song "If You Could Read My Mind"....

Bryan Addams....tore up the charts with a few..eh?

yeah, but now you're talking 80s! If so, i would have mentioned Saga.

Though I've thought that Triumph's power trio thing was a failed attempt to cash in on the other guys..

Triumph formed when Rush was still pretty obscure, and the 1st Triumph album was made before Rush was considered a success.

Tough to cash in on something that wasn't producing cash at the time.

yeah, but now you're talking 80s! If so, i would have mentioned Saga.

Triumph formed when Rush was still pretty obscure, and the 1st Triumph album was made before Rush was considered a success.

Tough to cash in on something that wasn't producing cash at the time.

OK, so I learned something new. Rush was cashing in on Triumph's idea. Ha! (Sticks!!!)

As an outsider, looking at the list of bands I'm not really picking up any strong threads - it's a diverse list. So my guess is that there wasn't a signature Canadian sound in the 70s, except that the scene was eclectic.

Not being competitive but just as an observation, I think Aussie pub rock in the 70s had more of an identifiable thread than Canadian rock (but I might just too close to be objective).

To me 70s Oz rock was marked by big fat money beats with lots of 4 on the floor - ACDC, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, INXS, Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons, The Angels, Rose Tattoo, Jimmy and the Boys, The Radiators, etc. I was always very conscious of it because I preferred trying to to flow rather than slamming on the drums and it meant my style didn't quite fit in.

Canada sounded like america only with a funny accent and weird use of the word "eh" in the 70s just as today. It's why we call them "America Jr.".

"America Jr" ....LOL, no. Thats maybe Puerto Rico or Mexico you're referring to, eh?

Here are just 3 tunes; I could add more but these 3 to my ears have a similar timbre I would call it. Jump in and discuss if you are inclined to.

http://youtu.be/pfGTA-kkf2o

http://youtu.be/7nYvmm0Ofmc

http://youtu.be/nEVDZl5UvN4

I see your point, but to me these all sound like similar production styles, like drums the same, guitars certain place in the mix and so on.

All of the 'sound' of April Wine, Max Webster, Triumph, early Rush have similar timbre in their mix choices. Both BTO and Guess Who also had similar sounding records as well, and so didi Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot (even the great Jim Gordon played on a few of his).

Back