Electric kits question

Well im starting out with a Pearl kit my brother sold me..
However the noise is killing the people i live with and im sure the neighbors are not happy.

So....hmm i decided to order a Roland Electric kit (not the big boy expensive kit) so maybe i can get some good sessions in without driving the neighbors crazy..

What are your guys views on learning and practicing on a electronic kit.. Other than the sensitivity are there lots of other differences?

I'm lucky enough to afford a Roland TD 20. I bought as much as I could to get it to feel most like an acoustic set. It is great for practice, unless you want to play jazz. It still don't quite fell like a real set, but I can work on most things and then check myself on a real set. I do get practice a lot more.

Bottom line is if volume is a problem, electronics are the way to go. Get as good a set as you can afford. Used is the way to go. Try to get at the snare with a mesh pad. Those black pads can kill your hands.

Slim did it right. Go for the used Roland with a mesh, (it's quieter). However, I have Yamaha DTX Xtreme III and IMO the rubber pads aren't a problem unless you are a slammer. I like the Yamaha cause I think the box and the sounds are better and for less money. Buy, but buy used and save the real bucks for a great accoustic set. When I came back to drumming after a 40 year hiatus, the E kit was my re-entry vehicle. But after a year of E drumming I bought an accoustic kit. Playing a real kit I lost the desire to play the E kit. E kits are not as satisfying. Real cymbals are happily addictive. Regrets, none, but do-over and I'd buy an awesomely well kept used accoustic kit with all top of the line cymbals. Buy em once and keep them forever (or easily sell them if you so choose). E kits do not satisfy like accoustics. They aren't pretty and don't sound as good. Great for practice but IMO you'll soon be wanting the real thing. Just don't blow big bucks on a practice E kit.

As long as you already have an acoustic kit, you might want to consider getting some type of sound muffling pads for them.
I use the Sound-Off brand, but there are several others. They make stuff for cymbals and your bass drum too. But while they do a pretty good job of cutting down the noise, they also absorb a lot of your stick bounce, so the feel is quite different.

I also agree that if you go for an electronic kit, but your main interest is in acoustic drums, you should try to keep the expense to a minimum for the electronics.

Back