Can we talk Slingerland Radio Kings?

I just picked these up for $200.00. My uncle paid $20.00 for these and I talked him into selling them to me for a restoration. Slingerland Radioking shells(I think from the 30's era) and a WFL Twin Strainer snare. What do ya guys think ?

Attachments

• Slingy Bass Badge.jpg
    Slingy Bass Badge.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 3,336
  • Slingy Bass Damp.jpeg
    Slingy Bass Damp.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3,347
  • Slingy Bass Damp2.jpeg
    Slingy Bass Damp2.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,321
  • Slingy Floor.jpeg
    Slingy Floor.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 3,313
  • Slingy Tom.jpeg
    Slingy Tom.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 3,382
There's a top session player over here called Neal Wilkinson. He used to play with the Average White band. I used to go watch him regularly in the 1980s with an awesome jazzfunk band called Morrisey Mullen. I remember him telling me he's got an old Radio King snare that he was excited about. So in this BBC concert with that band, I'm pretty sure the snare he's using is his RK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZXC8loOfA

There's a couple of closeups at 6:28. Looks like a 6.5" deep? He's got quite fat tuning on it compared to today's high pitched crack that everyone has. Sounds nice though .

Steve White is another fabulous British drummer who often used Radio King snares with Paul Weller to get that slightly tubby sound.

I know Jeff Porcaro used a 6.5x14 Radio King snare on Toto IV if I'm not mistaken but I'd be very interested if someone knew where that snare has been since Jeff died but in the event Toto gets inducted into the Hall of Fame, that snare drum better be in the museum.

I just picked these up for $200.00. My uncle paid $20.00 for these and I talked him into selling them to me for a restoration. Slingerland Radioking shells(I think from the 30's era) and a WFL Twin Strainer snare. What do ya guys think ?

Great stuff there man! Run them through the restoration ringer and you'll be good to go for a long time!

.............................?

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpg
    IMG_6466.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 2,338
I picked this up from a guy who was using it as a tom. When I got it it only had the top rim/lugs, some pieces of WMP wrap still hanging on and 1/2 of the cloud badge.
A friend did the sanding / finish work for me and I decided to put modern hardware on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 2,257
Back