DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default New Band

Hey all,

I'm just really excited...I did a co bill with a great blues band a few weeks ago...never saw them before...their drummer is departing for health reasons...I heard that and said "really"

Well these guys were so entertaining, a piano player, a B3 player, harp, guitar, bass, drums. 6 guys. What a sound. Fun band, really works the audience too. I'm thrilled!

This would be my first real original band. They made it down to Nashville for the International Blues Challenge, they did real good but didn't take the cake. Just to make it down there you have to win a bunch of preliminaries first.

Anyway that's all for now, it will be a while before any gigs happen, but these guys get the bigger gigs, festivals and stuff. And they have the coolest rehearsal space in the state. They got bucks deluxe...Pool table, a real stage, with stage lights, commercial coolers of refreshing beverages...creature comforts....on a beautiful country estate...just the best of everything.

Bigger gigs on the horizon are what I see. I'm happy.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Band

Wow wow wow! I'm chuffed to hear this Larry :) If there's a bin basher on here that deserves this, it's me, oops, sorry, ahem, it's you!

Seriously, you've been after a chick gyrator of a band for a while, well, now you've arrived! Not only do you get to play to bigger audiences, you get to play in a happening band, & it's "Larry the chick magnet" from now on, lol!

Love it, love it, love it!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Nice.I hope all of it works out Larry.You certainly have paid some dues.Keep your eye on the prize,and keep you skill level up.They didn't pick you because you weren't good.

All the best luck my friend.:)

Steve B
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool Larry!!
Have fun with it, just don't get too comfortable in your new posh rehearsal place...it might be nicer than some of the stages! JK.

Good times ahead for you!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Congrats Larry! Awesome news, man. Super exciting stuff. Pool table? I'm just happy when I don't slip in cat piss. :)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

You're a good player, Larry theyre lucky to have you. COngrats

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations! That sounds like a fun opportunity for you! Swing it, man!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Seriously, you've been after a chick gyrator of a band for a while, well, now you've arrived! Not only do you get to play to bigger audiences, you get to play in a happening band, & it's "Larry the chick magnet" from now on, lol!
LOLling at this post.

Nice one, Larry!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats Larry! Really hope this all works out for you.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Congratulations Larry, I'm as excited as you are about it, good luck with your new venture, sounds super hyper cool :))
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM

hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats! I am in a blues band, and I love it. We are just starting to play originals. I used to listen to rock, jazz, fusion, and prog. Now all I listen to is blues or music that is closely related to blues. Peace, goodwill, and blues.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Cool, Larry.

Can we get the band name? Do they travel outside your state, or still more local?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats, Larry! Sounds like you found a great opportunity! Can't wait to hear more about it, as it evolves.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Hey all,

I'm just really excited...I did a co bill with a great blues band a few weeks ago...never saw them before...their drummer is departing for health reasons...I heard that and said "really"

Well these guys were so entertaining, a piano player, a B3 player, harp, guitar, bass, drums. 6 guys. What a sound. Fun band, really works the audience too. I'm thrilled!

This would be my first real original band. They made it down to Nashville for the International Blues Challenge, they did real good but didn't take the cake. Just to make it down there you have to win a bunch of preliminaries first.

Anyway that's all for now, it will be a while before any gigs happen, but these guys get the bigger gigs, festivals and stuff. And they have the coolest rehearsal space in the state. They got bucks deluxe...Pool table, a real stage, with stage lights, commercial coolers of refreshing beverages...creature comforts....on a beautiful country estate...just the best of everything.

Bigger gigs on the horizon are what I see. I'm happy.
awesome Larry

good things come to good people

yr gonna kill in this gig

sounds custom made for you brother
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 AM

Sounds great Larry, let me know if you playing in the area (live in Royersford), love to come out!

Christian Drummers Army
Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Congrats Larry.

best wishes.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks guys!
Woo Hooo!

I got a PM from a member who guessed the band, he knows them and plays the same circuit. The band name is "The Porkroll Project"

Taylor Porkroll is a big favorite around these parts and the leaders last name is Taylor.

Here's a link to their music page.
http://www.porkroll-blues.com/Music.html

Onward, upward!

My other blues band lost our star female bassist to greener pastures in Nashville...we got a replacement dude, but for some reason the gigs are really sparse all of a sudden. So I the time for another band now, and this just fell right in my lap basically. It's funny how that stuff works out. They liked what I did on the co bill, they were very enthusiastic, and invited me out to a jam party where they gave me all their CD's. Then about 2 weeks later they asked me for an audition. So I go and auditioned on their house set, a Cat Club w/ an 18" bass drum. I used my snare and a few cymbals, because theirs sounded like your typical drumset, crap. We ran about 4 songs, took a break, had a few laughs, then did 1 more, and that was it. Then about 3 days after that, I get the call. He liked the way my audition felt so much that he said he doesn't feel the need to look further, and if I want the position, it's mine. So after deeply thanking him I wholeheartedly accepted the position lol.

This is the start of a new chapter.

Last edited by larryace; 04-11-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

No surprises. Your playing had reached a point where things were always going to happen for you. Onya Larry, I'm sure you'll have a ball with them.

Just wondering about this rehearsal space on a country estate - how far is the drive and how many rehearsals a week?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

This sounds amazing, well done! I imagine I speak for everyone when I say I would like frequent updates!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Woo Hooo!

I got a PM from a member who guessed the band, he knows them and plays the same circuit. The band name is "The Porkroll Project"

Taylor Porkroll is a big favorite around these parts and the leaders last name is Taylor.

Here's a link to their music page.
http://www.porkroll-blues.com/Music.html

Onward, upward!

My other blues band lost our star female bassist to greener pastures in Nashville...we got a replacement dude, but for some reason the gigs are really sparse all of a sudden. So I the time for another band now, and this just fell right in my lap basically. It's funny how that stuff works out. They liked what I did on the co bill, they were very enthusiastic, and invited me out to a jam party where they gave me all their CD's. Then about 2 weeks later they asked me for an audition. So I go and auditioned on their house set, a Cat Club w/ an 18" bass drum. I used my snare and a few cymbals, because theirs sounded like your typical drumset, crap. We ran about 4 songs, took a break, had a few laughs, then did 1 more, and that was it. Then about 3 days after that, I get the call. He liked the way my audition felt so much that he said he doesn't feel the need to look further, and if I want the position, it's mine. So after deeply thanking him I wholeheartedly accepted the position lol.

This is the start of a new chapter.
love me a taylor ham egg and cheese

:)

sounds great Larry

keep us closely posted
Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Well done mate. Great news!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Pol. the drive is about 1 hour. That's about 1 hour Oz time lol.
They rehearse not too often. Fine by me.
TBH, their stuff...I just need to write out the arrangements and tempos, I won't need much rehearsal. Blues drumming.... it's not heavy lifting, it's more of a knowledge of what not to do, what to do, how to do it, when to do it, what it's supposed to feel like.... The actual notes are not hard to play, but to make them sound right...that's where the feel lives. I would feel confident enough to gig right now with them. I've been listening to their stuff a few weeks now. If I hear it enough, I can go in cold to a gig if I had to. I'd bring some notes. It's just blues. The various blues song forms are tattooed inside my brain by now lol.

Blues drumming is so second nature to me by now...that's why I nailed the audition, because it's so easy for me. I'm dead center of my comfort zone, like a fish in water. I have headroom galore.
It's nice to be humble, I prefer humble people, but at the same time, sometimes you just gotta exclaim...."Yea baby I nailed it!"

Feels good.

The rest of my life is a struggle, but dammit, my playing is finally coming together!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

...Good on you Larry.

I have had a musical renewal of my own. Our jam nights are feeling good, and my playing reflects it. I like this feeling, so I can only imagine how you must feel on this, your arrival.

Good luck and good drumming.

Barry
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Then it's a good balance, Larry. You don't have a regular 1 hr drive (Oz time) but every now and then you go to an idyllic location to play with a band you love. Works for me.

Funny thing, seems like being a blues player is like being a bop guy, just on a simpler scale. You have the must-know standards, you have the dos and don'ts, no need for much rehearsal, just go in there are play.

But two keys players (you mean a B3 Hammond, yes?) ... in my experience it's hard enough to get even one keys player to leave space - all those busy little digits looking for something to do ...

Maybe with two they cancel each other out? :)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pol. the drive is about 1 hour. That's about 1 hour Oz time lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
You don't have a regular 1 hr drive (Oz time).......
We're metric here in Oz, so 1 hour is actually 60 minutes!!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea 2 keys players. Pretty unorthodox. Hopefully that means no small stages for this band. The sound is so full. I don't have to fill as much space, so my job is easier than in the trio. The audition was really a breeze. I nailed a few signature breaks on their originals so they were all impressed that I did my homework. I just listened about a dozen times on the way to jobs, that was the homework. But with a band that big, there's less holes to cover. It's like this cloud of sound all around me. I don't feel nearly as exposed. I'm enveloped in sound. I don't feel nearly as responsible, (even though I still am) more like I am along for the ride. They almost don't need me, but will be much better with lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

No doubt it's less responsibility, especially if everyone's time is good. Might be some tempo power struggles otherwise.

All you need now are three female backing vocalists and a small horn section - maybe sax, trumpet and 'bone. Oh, and can't forget the percussionist ... :)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Congrats Larry, I can feel that good vibe feeling all the way over here. Have a blast with the new group.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hopefully that means no small stages for this band.
Nope, just bigger stages with less room for drums, lol!

I checked out a bunch of Youtube clips this morning Larry. I wanted to get a handle on the band dynamic, especially the two keys players deal. Good news all round :) Both players use a single board, so together, they take up about as much space as our keys player with his two sided 4 board monstrosity (as the drummer, in my band, it's kinda nice not being the biggest space taker on the stage). The piano player takes the rhythm role mostly, whilst the B3 player's doing the signature stuff & concentrating on lead vocals. Works very well IMO.

I like the band energy, & there's certainly a chick ass swinging party vibe going on. I predict good times!!! Plenty of drummy driving boogie scope in the band too, so some happy thumping stuff to look forward to. You're going to have a blast Larry :):):)