Speaker Recommendation

Chardwick86

Hi There,

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a portable bluetooth speaker that is easy to carry about & loud enough to use for drum lessons? The one I have now (a Sony SRS-X77 just isn't loud enough!)

Thank you!!

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, the Electro-Voice ELX200-10P is Bluetooth ready and pushes 1200 watts. Again, depends on what you want to spend.

You'll be better served with one of the "smaller" PA systems.

You'll be better served with one of the "smaller" PA systems.

Agreed. If you can live without Bluetooth, one of those little Harbinger PA systems from the Guitar Center for $299 is a way better investment.

Is it me or is Bluetooth just not cool? In my car and even at home, the connection burps and stops. Not really ideal for playing music, right? Give me a wired connection anytime.

Agreed. If you can live without Bluetooth, one of those little Harbinger PA systems from the Guitar Center for $299 is a way better investment.

Is it me or is Bluetooth just not cool? In my car and even at home, the connection burps and stops. Not really ideal for playing music, right? Give me a wired connection anytime.

I don't have any such issues with Bluetooth... however, it could be your local environment, where I imagine the density of Bluetooth devices is much higher.

I don't have any such issues with Bluetooth... however, it could be your local environment, where I imagine the density of Bluetooth devices is much higher.
Also entirely depends on the particular codec of the device on either end, nor are all radios and controllers in the chipsets created equal.

In my brand new truck with the iPod right there in front of the radio I get these intermittent stops and starts to the music. And other friends of mine have issues identical to this. So maybe southern California has an issue since there's so much of it out here. A friend of mine was trying to do his Rat Pack act with a blue toothed iPad for his tracks and everywhere he goes the music will stop and start. He's going back to just wiring his devices instead of relying on wireless transmissions.

Maybe when I get my new iPhone I won't have any of these issues. We'll see.

2 parts.
Part 1: Bluetooth really depends on the receiver and transmitter. If either is 'poor' and there are any real obstacles in it's path, you can be standing within a few feet and have hiccups. Better units seem to be a bit better. IF you want to try something rather than a Bluetooth speaker, try something like NC Bose Headphones to see if there are hiccups. There should not be (at least Ive never had it happen playing from my ipad or plug in transmitter on an airplane). In the car, Im sure there is still a reason they give you the ability to 'plug in' your device.

Part 2: i bought a Mackie SRM150 Active Speaker (aka a powered monitor) and a DW DWSMMG-2 Mega Clamp V Ratchet that i can attach either to a rack pole or to a (strong) cymbal stand (i.e. sonor 400/600 series) that wont tip over. This allows me to position the unit in any position and anywhere i want rather than using a mic stand. it can be close or far, tilted or not, and you will most likely hear whatever is going into it. The Mackie uses a power cord rather than a brick btw, which i know i like much better. I use the Mackie for a stage monitor as well as for some pad percussion samples.

Just a quick comment...

Anybody that is trying to utilize bluetooth for a PERFORMANCE is just...well...
Let's just say not really taking the event seriously enough.

For general listening and background music, I find it to be quite sufficient, at least where I am at.

For everything else-give me a wired connection.

I work for a company that manufactures blue tooth speakers, some the size of a boom box (plenty loud). However, there are always latency issues that would prevent any decent usage in a performance setting. Plus, there are so many different versions of blue tooth in use.

Go wired!

I wish blue tooth were reliable enough. That'd make a great personal monitor controller with your smartphone. Alas, not to be...

Back